Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

How would you connect several USB Midi devices?

GrappaduraGrappadura GermanyPosts: 41

I want to midi-connect the deluge to an analog heat, a minilogue, a launchpad and an OP 1. They all have usb midi, 2 of them have old school midi pins. 2 Questions: Is usb midi preferable to old-school midi connections (faster, etc.)? The other question is: How can I connect them all? Any suggestions? Could a usb hub be a solution, or do I need a midi interface? Thx!

Comments

jipumarinojipumarino CaliforniaPosts: 21
    edited September 2018

Hi, speed-wise there's no difference for this use case between regular and USB MIDI. I have an Analog Four, a Deluge, Keystep, Code 61 and a Digitone all connected to a USB hub which is connected to the USB host port of a mio4 interface. It works perfectly.

You need some sort of USB hosting equipment, typically a computer, but it can be in the form of an old iPhone or even a Raspberry Pi. I've used both solutions in the past successfully (before I had the mio4) if you need help with that.

Post edited by jipumarino on

Thank you, Ive actually got a mio too but didn’t realize I could hook up a usb hub to it. Awesome!

jipumarinojipumarino CaliforniaPosts: 21

Nice! Is it the mio4 though? Smaller models don't have USB hosting

Its the 10 :) but I might downgrade for portability some day

simonmortonsimonmorton Aldershot, Hampshire, UKBeta Tester Posts: 2

@jipumarino said:
    Hi, speed-wise there's no difference for this use case between regular and USB MIDI. I have an Analog Four, a Deluge, Keystep, Code 61 and a Digitone all connected to a USB hub which is connected to the USB host port of a mio4 interface. It works perfectly.

You need some sort of USB hosting equipment, typically a computer, but it can be in the form of an old iPhone or even a Raspberry Pi. I've used both solutions in the past successfully (before I had the mio4) if you need help with that.

Ah this is exactly what I want to do - what usb hub do you use?
    I have just bought a Kenton USB host mkii, but am struggling to set it up to work with my usb hub (I have connected to the hub a BSii, Gaia, plus an MX1 (with System 1 attached and other boutiques)). I have an Aukey 10 port hub, and I suspect it is not passing through midi. Was hoping going Mac-less would help but its just causing more headaches!!!!

Actually it's pronounced Der-loo-ghee.