Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Give each track a visible number

As a performance artist I want to identify a certain track easily to memorize/make notes about the attributes of a track like instrument/MIDI channel and pattern type.

At the moment the only difference one can see in the track view is that each track looks somehow different. Or maybe not even that if some of the tracks are in keyboard mode. At least for me it is really hard to memorize what's behind each track. Therefore it would be helpful to see an unique identifier for each track of a song.

I think giving them a number which is incremented should be sufficient. As an addition, tracks which are sharing one instrument could be numbered differently like 1-1, 1-2 or 1-a, 1-b. The number could be viewed by holding a track or the audition button.

Comments

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

Should the numbering survive re-ordering the tracks or not? I'm also performance centric ( and recently acquired a Deluge ) and I know that one of the last things I do before a performance is to re-arrange all my tracks/patterns and sequence in a logical order, which is usually pretty different from the order things were composed in.

Personally I think naming tracks after the preset could be interesting, since this is how the Deluge groups instruments and you can only have a single instrument track playing at a time

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

Was thinking exactly the same thing. I think a number to differentiate tracks and the track colour to differentiate instruments would be the clearest scenario for knowing what you're doing.

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

@o0_ said:
    Should the numbering survive re-ordering the tracks or not? I'm also performance centric ( and recently acquired a Deluge ) and I know that one of the last things I do before a performance is to re-arrange all my tracks/patterns and sequence in a logical order, which is usually pretty different from the order things were composed in.

Personally I think naming tracks after the preset could be interesting, since this is how the Deluge groups instruments and you can only have a single instrument track playing at a time

I don't think that there's an easy solution for changing the tracks numbers when they are reordered or deleted except by assigning numbers again for all tracks at once. It could work like this: you created the tracks A, B, C with the numbers 1, 2, 3. Now you re-order the tracks like B, A, C (2, 1, 3). Now you could trigger the re-numbering so that the numbers are 1, 2, 3 again while the tracks are still in the same position.

Naming the tracks by the instrument would be not compatible with the above. On top of this while it's true that only one pattern with a certain synth patch can be played at a time it is pretty different when it comes to MIDI tracks. This naming convention would also collide with kit tracks.

I'd rather not use colors as an identifier since some people are not even able to see them. Besides that I think that there's not enough color space available. When there are more than maybe 10 different tracks it can be already hard to recognize the colors.

MaxOSMaxOS Los AngelesPosts: 50

This would also help in remembering which midi channels are assigned to which tracks when using a controller.