Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Revamp Sampling/Recording: Audio-Triggered Sampling, Loop/Overdub Recording, Resampling

bjoerngieslerbjoerngiesler Ingolstadt GermanyPosts: 4

I had posted this under the „External Audio Looper“ thread but after re-reading that thread‘s original post, I think it is sufficiently different to merit its own thread.

Here's what I suggested to the FB group a while ago. It would be my preferred way of sampling. Because I often play and record manually-played instruments or vocals over an electronic backing track, I need a record mode that is synced to the Deluge's loop structure but not directly coupled to it; and because I often record drum samples from analog synths or acoustic sources, and find it tedious to adapt the sample start each time, I would like a triggered mode :smiley: Here's the writeup:

We differentiate between three modes of recording: resample mode, triggered / direct mode and loop / overdub mode.

Resample mode:

This is exactly what we have today. It records / resamples the Deluge output (including any external input channeled through the Deluge's sound generation).

Primary purpose: Resampling (duh :smile: )

Engage and start recording:
* Pressing Shift+Record begins output-recording instantly.
* To begin output-recording at the exact same instant that playback is begun, press Record+Play.
* To begin output-recording at the exact same instant that a voice is sounded, hold down Record and press an Audition pad (or one of the main pads if you're in keyboard view.

Stop recording:
Press Record again. To stop at the exact instant that a loop finishes playing, press Record+Play.

Triggered / Direct mode:

This is the audio recording / sampling mode that is used when the Deluge is not actively playing.

Primary purpose: Sampling drum sounds with strong transients (audio-level triggered) or arbitrary sounds (direct). Sounds recorded by trigger do not have to have their start time adapted but will begin directly at the transient, which makes drum recording much faster.

Engage recording: While the Deluge is not playing, in a Kit track, hold an Audition button and press Record. The Mute/Launch and Audition/Section columns become the left/right VU meter for the Line In jack. The trigger level at which recording will start is highlighted as one row on the VU meter. It can be adapted with the Up/Down knob. The Audition button is highlighted. The Record button starts blinking.

Start recording: When the input volume surpasses the set trigger level, recording starts automatically. Alternatively, recording can be started manually by pushing the Up/Down knob. The Record button lights up permanently.

End recording: Press "Record" again.

Note: This recording process can possibly be started from an entry in the synth menu as well.
Note: Possibly recording can be triggered by other events, such as MIDI? CV / Gate would be awesome but I think the CV/Gate ports on the Deluge are output only.

Loop overdub mode:

This is the audio recording mode that is used when the Deluge is actively playing.

Primary purpose: Sampling acoustic instruments, vocals, etc. that play along with the Deluge, and loop/overdub them. Overdubbing here can serve two purposes; one, of course recording additional audio material over an existing recording; but two, the Deluge currently lacks count-in capabilities, so this would enable us to use playback on the Deluge as count-in, and start recording only when the loop rolls around, effectively eliminating the need for a separate count-in functionality. This is the reason why this mode is used while the Deluge is playing. You can start playback, immediately hit Audition+Record, grab your guitar, sync yourself to the rhythm while waiting for the loop to roll around, and strum.

Engage recording: While the Deluge is playing, in a Kit track, hold an Audition button and press Record. The Mute/Launch and Audition/Section columns become the left/right VU meter for the Line In jack, but without a trigger level display. The Audition button is highlighted. The Record button starts blinking just as a Mute/Launch button does when it is waiting for playback to roll around.

Start recording: When playback rolls around to the start of the pattern, recording is automatically started. Monitoring is switched on. When the pattern loops, recording changes to overdub, allowing several loops to be overdubbed over a single sample.

End recording: Press "Record" again.

Post edited by bjoerngiesler on

Comments

alexblaxxalexblaxx Bristol UKPosts: 4

Exactly pretty much all I need.

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

I agree with pretty much all of this but I wouldn't have looping automatically overdub - instead I'd have it create new sample lanes with each loop (same file, different start/end points). This way you could use it for overdubbing, recording alternate takes, and recording a synced loop with a 'tail'. There should be some way to choose whether you want each new loop to auto-mute or not (necessary for multi-take recording).

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

bjoerngieslerbjoerngiesler Ingolstadt GermanyPosts: 4

@muleskinner said:
    I agree with pretty much all of this but I wouldn't have looping automatically overdub - instead I'd have it create new sample lanes with each loop (same file, different start/end points). This way you could use it for overdubbing, recording alternate takes, and recording a synced loop with a 'tail'. There should be some way to choose whether you want each new loop to auto-mute or not (necessary for multi-take recording).

Awesome idea. Possibly one of three modes? Autosplit, autosplit/mute, overdub?

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292
    edited January 2019

Looped Overdubbing would be great! ...you have made a good list of conditions that should be implemented, thx for your ideas!

I would like to have an overview what is status quo now in 2.1 ...with all the combinations of shift and stop and play I am a little overwhelmed / especially: Which files go to the record Folder and which to the resampl Folder?

Post edited by Eddy on
    EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

Looped Overdubbing would be great! ...you have made a good list of conditions that should be implemented, thx for your ideas!

I would like to have an overview what is status quo now in 2.1 ...with all the combinations of shift and stop and play I am a little overwhelmed / especially: Which files go to the record Folder and which to the resampl Folder?