Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Line-in able to do audio thru?

MyrkMyrk Bristol, UKPosts: 93

I've read the manual and everything, but the entire purpose or usability of the Line-in is not so clear. I have the midi out going to a TR-626, and the audio coming out mono to the line-in of the deluge, but I hear nothing. Is this normal? What is the Line-in designed for specifically?

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Sampling, first and foremost ? I think so but I don't really know :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

GrappaduraGrappadura GermanyPosts: 41

I also would love to see way to get the audio thru! How else will you know what you are actually sampling? It needs to be heard! Please dear genius developer implement that feature!

SamSam WellingtonModerator, Staff Posts: 160

Hi @Myrk, the Line-In was initially designed for sampling but can now be used for live input (with monitoring), using the latest Alpha firmware.

Here's a link to the older version, which has the instructions on how to use the new features:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/707802636093306/728129917393911/

This is the firmware you want to download, though:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/707802636093306/734548430085393/

edited August 2017

Ok I got it! Thanks Sam. I already have the Beta firmware, but wasn't aware of the line in (L, R, LR - not in the manuals yet - Synthstrom might wanna update those as into the manual as you add and tweak features to keep track of it all).

Took a LOT of tweaking though... Detune was default set to "10" which is weird and makes the input really muffly... Would maybe be better if when setting to line input mode to auto switch all effects off so the input sounds the same as the original device, then let people mess with effects. In general I found the learning curb for getting this to sound right really quite awkward (took 30 mins of sifting through manuals and trying loads of effects to get it right) - I had to set OSC2 volume to 0 as there is no off, then to avoid weirdness I also had to remove the transpose (default -12?!) and put it as a bar long note at C3 as the root note in a sequencer - all just to get a default line in sound. It's a bit strange having a midi track and a track with just 1 note, just to sequence an external midi and have it audible through the line-in. As I said a generic line in mode should really remove all the funky tweaks and strange default settings, and be allowed on a midi track to prevent having to have a 2nd track for every sequence.

Post edited by Myrk on
    rpc9943rpc9943 New York usaBeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 184

Press shift + synth to create a new init patch, all of those effects sounds like you were playing with a previously made preset.

Nice one Rob, will give it a try when I next get by my Deluge and see if this fixes the trick (sounds like it will!) ;)

Yes what I did was make a new synth , save it as a preset and every time I want input just quick select it and insert the note. Ps. You can use it to sequence gates and cool stuff as well...

Yer good idea... I've yet to start creating presets for all my gear... that will be an interesting [not] day of coding in every instrument into my Deluge lol!

Hi @Myrk! The Alpha is currently being tested for bugs and crashes etc... so, in regards to the manual, the new commands will be added there once it's through both Alpha and Beta testing and is ready to be properly released.

The reason you're experiencing all the live input weirdness is because the input is treated as an oscillator. This opens up a lot of options for how you can process the live input (like sequencing it, effects etc..), but it is treated as any other oscillator, effects-wise - hence the settings being the same when you switch a synth preset over. This is also the reason you need a held middle C, as it tells the Deluge that you want the input coming out at its normal pitch, not re-pitched up or down. All-in-all, @rpc9943's idea is probably the best way to use it, in terms of workflow.

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

@Myrk The V1.2 feature updates are on the Firmware tester facebook group. Probably buried somewhere at the bottom by now.

edited August 2017

Thanks @Sam, yer Rob's suggestion is what I'm doing now! Maybe the default synth 0 should be an init patch rather than a synth patch?
    @MatthewGeorge I am always using the very latest firmware on the beta tester group ;)

Post edited by Myrk on
    edited August 2017
    Myrk you can erase or rename the synth patches so 0 is saved. Once I'm allowed to make video on this I will include all of this in it.
    Post edited by rpc9943 on
    Sam
    MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247
    @Myrk I mean that there's a mini manual for the new features in the testing group.
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017
    edited August 2017

"The online manual will of course be updated when this firmware is released. For now though, here's what you need to know to start using the new features:

Resampling

-- Shift + record begins recording of output to SD card - to the SAMPLES/RESAMPLE folder. The Record LED will blink fast.
    -- Pressing record again stops output-recording.
    -- To begin output-recording at the exact same instant that playback is begun, press record + play.
    -- To stop output-recording and playback at the exact instant that a loop finishes playing, press record + play again, while playback and output-recording are happening
    -- To begin output-recording at the exact same instant that a voice is sounded, hold down record and press an audition pad (or one of the main pads if you're in keyboard view)
    -- FYI, unlike in the older firmware, pressing the record button no longer automatically begins playback.
    -- After you've made a recording in this way, the next time you are taken to the file browser, you will be defaulted to your new file, allowing you to easily add it to a kit.

Live audio input

-- An oscillator may now be set to "IN", to use the Deluge's microphone as its source. You'll probably want to create a blank synth first (press shift + synth).
    -- If you have a line-input or external mic plugged into the Deluge, your oscillator options will expand to "INL" (left channel), "INR" (right channel), and "INLR" (stereo).
    -- The incoming audio will be pitch-shifted according to the notes you play, relative to middle C. You can also apply a transpose if you wish.

Monosynth and legato modes

-- Under "polyphony", there are new options, and some of the old ones have been renamed.
    -- POLY means polyphonic
    -- MONO means monophonic, strictly (this is new)
    -- AUTO (previously called "OFF") means monosynth behaviour, unless you actually play overlapping notes, in which case it'll allow you to play them polyphonically
    -- LEGA means legato. In this mode, portamento only applies when notes overlap

Input monitoring while sampling

-- Can be customized under "MONI" in the settings menu. Can be ON, OFF, or SMARt. In smart mode (which is now default), if you're recording with a microphone (internal or external), monitoring will only occur if you also have headphones plugged into the Deluge; if you're recording from the line input, monitoring will always occur."

-------- For anyone else who might need it :)

Post edited by Icoustik on

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Could I please be added to the beta tester group or could someone provide me the link to the new firmware? I cant access the above links cause I havent been admitted to the fb group.

My first name is Florens (regarding fb)

ToumalToumal AustriaPosts: 18

Hey there! It's great to see that input monitoring is now in - but I'm still yearning for a really simple option that just passes through everything from Line In regardless of whether I am currently sampling or not. Likewise, using an oscillator in input mode only works while you're playing the pattern. It makes it impossible to use the midi sequencer unless you have a mixer mixing all the outputs together outside. This is especially cumbersome when you consider that synths such as roland's boutique line have the ability to daisy-chain units, which works great if you have only 2 or 3 of them.

Any chance for such an option to be added?

mbangmbang Gothenburg, SwedenPosts: 61

Yeah, using the inputs straight away (like in elektron boxes for example) would be great, that way i can for example get the audio from a drum machine into my deluge and make some music without a mixer. Handy if travelling for example.

Hi @Toumal! If you have any suggestions (such as this) for upcoming firmware releases, feel free to post them in the Software Suggestions part of the forum, which can be found here:

http://forums.synthstrom.com/categories/deluge-suggestions

Rohan considers each of these posts before he starts working on new updates, so this page gives the community a place to vote on what they would like to see, as well as keeping everything in one place so we can keep track of it all :smile:

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

Input monitoring while sampling

-- Can be customized under "MONI" in the settings menu. Can be ON, OFF, or SMARt. In smart mode (which is now default), if you're recording with a microphone (internal or external), monitoring will only occur if you also have headphones plugged into the Deluge; if you're recording from the line input, monitoring will always occur."

So Deluge can distinguish if it´s a microphone or a line signal plugged to LineIn?
    So monitoring in Smart Mode is with a MIC Signal only on headphones and with a Line Signal on Headphones and LineOut?

I can´t discover any difference between Monitoring Smart and Monitoring On :|

Just_Peter118Just_Peter118 The NetherlandsPosts: 42

Is it now possible to monitor external sound from the line-in, so straight audio through? Just like the Elektron boxes?

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

In our forthcoming 3.0 firmware update, yes, it is very easy to monitor the incoming audio.

Yer I think with 3.0 this thread can be closed off.

HollexHollex FrPosts: 12
    edited September 2019

That would be so helpful! How do I do this in v3.0?

Post edited by Hollex on
    edited September 2019

@Hollex said:

3.0 manual also does not make it clear for me

Post edited by Eddy on
    rudolphrapidrudolphrapid Beta Tester Posts: 129
    edited September 2019

@Eddy said:

@Hollex said:

3.0 manual also does not make it clear for me

You just need to add an audio track and then set its input to LEFT/RIGHT/STEREO (what you want to monitor) with a dot right after the last letter (LEFT./RIGHT./STER.).

Post edited by rudolphrapid on
    edited September 2019

ron cavagnaro did a good YT tutorial....now I am clear

Post edited by Eddy on
    BrawnyBrawny UKBeta Tester Posts: 18
    edited March 2023

Just out of curiosity, I'm currently trying to work on music and some tunes have suffered voice stealing so I've started resorting to using separate outputs when gigging. I assume that if I make an audio track with stereo through enabled (and no extra fx etc), that will still take up processing power?

Post edited by Brawny on