Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Ultimate effects unit for Deluge? Organelle, H9 or Zoia?

ZenEagleZenEagle United StatesPosts: 4

Anyone planning to get the Empress Zoia? I've been looking to get a multiFX unit to use with my Deluge, and was originally trying to decide between Organelle or Eventide H9, but just discovered the Zoia, which seems like it could be quite a perfect match for Deluge, w/ both midi and CV. This throws a bit of a monkey wrench into my decision process ;)

What are your thoughts on the Organelle vs Zoia ? Same price point and could potentially be seen as competitors since they both cover so much of the same ground.

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Yeah, thinking about a multi fx unit too, undecided..

H9: hard to beat in fx quality
    Zoia: good i/o, innovative interface, from the looks the perfect deluge match
    Organelle: if I was a PureData programmer

upcoming https://www.moddevices.com/products/mod-duo-x similar to the Organelle (loads max patches and linux plugins)

upcoming Plankton Electronics SPICE - analog distortion

Dreadbox Hypnosis Time Effects Processor

Elektron Analog Heat

schwizschwiz United StatesPosts: 13

I've been looking at the mod duo x for this, was also considering the organelle. I hadn't heard of those others you asked about I'll check them out.
    https://www.moddevices.com/products/mod-duo-x

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

Check out the Zoom MS series.
    I’m a big fan as they’re cheap and small. :blush:

esc746esc746 IrelandPosts: 12

It's not true that the Mod Duo loads Max patches... or I would already own one, since I am a Max teacher and all! What it does is load compiled Max GEN patches. GEN is a special environment inside Max that's a lot more like C coding. None of my Max patches, or 99% of those you will find on the internets, are going to work. Their model of paid and free patches is also rather confusing.

The Organelle does directly load [pd] patches, so long as they respect its I/O objects. If not, you just edit them to do so. And all of these are free.

So there's a big difference in the ecosystems. The mod Duo is likely far more powerful overall, but the Organelle is far easier to hack with free stuff.

Besides this, the Organelle is not limited to effects, but can be an instrument all its own. You can even plug in a keyboard and screen and it becomes a computer. The Mod Duo is designed as a host for code you devise on your main machine.

RandomAztecRandomAztec IrelandPosts: 108

Don't forget a raspberry pi with a pisound hat..it can run a decent emulation of the mod duo .

RandomAztecRandomAztec IrelandPosts: 108

It can also run organelle patches as these are pure data patches

@esc746 said:
    It's not true that the Mod Duo loads Max patches... or I would already own one, since I am a Max teacher and all! What it does is load compiled Max GEN patches. GEN is a special environment inside Max that's a lot more like C coding. None of my Max patches, or 99% of those you will find on the internets, are going to work. Their model of paid and free patches is also rather confusing.

thanks for this detail. "Load your own MAX/MSP effects and LV2 units to use directly in your Duo X", they say.

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

Zoia is a great product with a lot of uses besides just effects, for me the main appeal of it is being able to create directly on the hardware without need to use a computer.

highstandardshighstandards CHPosts: 56

@darenager said:
    Zoia is a great product with a lot of uses besides just effects, for me the main appeal of it is being able to create directly on the hardware without need to use a computer.

Same here

KokaKoka NorwayPosts: 12

@esc746 said:

That’s true, but it should also be mentioned that GEN is an incredibly useful and powerful programming environment and it often does not take too much effort to transcribe max patches to GEN programs.

For someone who already knows Max MSP, understanding GEN is simple and then Mod Duo opens truly incredible possibilities.

@esc746 said:

That’s true, but it should also be mentioned that GEN is an incredibly useful and powerful programming environment and it often does not take too much effort to transcribe max patches to GEN programs.

For someone who already knows Max MSP, understanding GEN is simple and then Mod Duo opens truly incredible possibilities.

@esc746 said:

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Sup @Koka , norway represent B)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

edited October 2019

Anybody getting these?
    Ninja Tune x Erica Synths Zen Delay (Analog-ish, sorry, cheesy video)

Enjoy-Lab REmindER Multi-Effects (DSP only afaik)

Post edited by amiga909 on
    raybunraybun GermanyPosts: 7
    edited October 2019

If you're crafty, you could also consider the Axoloti Board. It has great I/O, great components and is customisable to no end - plus it runs virtual versions of Mutable Instruments modules. It can be anything you want & respond to MIDI from the Deluge. Adding a MIDI controller via USB allows you to have a ton of hardware controls for your custom patches, which are stored on SD. Or you wire up your own pots and buttons and switches, etc...

I mostly keep it simple though, GFI Specular Tempus for reverb & delay on the Deluge main out (example), or as an FX send on my small mixer.

Post edited by raybun on