Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Enable FM synth mode with samples?

SissyfusSissyfus NorwayBeta Tester Posts: 3

If FM synth mode was possible with samples it would open up a lot of sonic possibilities. The FM synth in the Deluge is allready wonderful, adding the possibility to modulate samples would make even greater (like the Yamaha SY77/SY99 synths).

Comments

sun_shine_loversun_shine_lover TokyoPosts: 4
    Yes!
    KapusKapus MskPosts: 12

Yes, it will be so great!

dest4bdest4b Frankfurt, GermanyPosts: 98
    thought it was possible.. first time i searched this function i was a bit sad :(
    now i read this .. upvote ! :) this with start endpoint modulation could be total sick ! :D

www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

+1

Felt like this needed a bump.

Just want to say that this seems like a great idea, and if you could do a sample FMing another sample you could create insane chains of noise and almost any sound in the world simply by recording the finished products. In effect it would be an infinite operator FM synth (RAM and CPU dependent of course) to someone dedicated enough, and compared to using many operators in a chain it wouldn't be as CPU heavy, I would think anyway.

Plus with the deluge's ability to have multiple synth instruments you could keep the lower parts of the chain open so if a lower on the chain soundwave needed editing it could be gone back to easily, rerecorded and thrown in wherever.

It's a way cooler idea than it would initially appear (I think), if a bit tedious.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@Sissyfus said:
    If FM synth mode was possible with samples it would open up a lot of sonic possibilities. The FM synth in the Deluge is allready wonderful, adding the possibility to modulate samples would make even greater (like the Yamaha SY77/SY99 synths).

This suggestion is not clear enough IMHO. What kind of sample FM do you want?
    Yamaha afaik never allowed to load any WAV into the (A)FM engine. Rather a hybrid mode: AWM samples could be used as transients for FM. Possible you could load the AWM stock samples to the FM carriers. But no user samples.

FM with samples is exotic and afaik there only a very few synths that offer this.
    related:
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/comment/5775
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/comment/6034

Still upvoted. FM with samples is very demanding imho, however I dont know about Rohans interests and skills, so he might have been researching this already. What should be there is RM with samples and audio in. should be more straight forward to develop.

definitiondefinition AustraliaPosts: 4

Yes! I was just wondering if this was possible.

Ableton’s Sampler does this and it’s awesome!!! It also does AM.

Maybe LFOs at audio rates that do key tracking like the ones in Elektron’s Analog Four

YankoYanko EUPosts: 4

+1

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@definition said:
    Yes! I was just wondering if this was possible.

Ableton’s Sampler does this and it’s awesome!!! It also does AM.

Maybe LFOs at audio rates that do key tracking like the ones in Elektron’s Analog Four

Dont know the Ableton sampler much but from the video i looked up, it sounds great. The Ableton FM sample design would fit nicely into Deluge i think.

Just for the record, V-Synth FM goes further than Ableton AFAIK: you could apply FM to live input and the FM source could be any of the oscillator models of the V-Synth - even a sample.

monoseqmonoseq SwedenBeta Tester Posts: 12

+1. This would be great!