Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge with the NDLR

vanklomkvanklomk United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 19

I'm still learning the Deluge but got the NDLR yesterday and couldn't wait to pair them. Still learning how to control everything and working out the kinks.

Had the house to myself for 2 hours today so I made this demo.

This is also the first time I've made a YouTube video so I need work on that.

I really wish I could manually set the midi in channel on the synth tracks without the learn button. It works ok here but took a few tries to get all 4 parts working. I'd love to set a template where my first 4 tracks are set to channels 1-4 so it's ready to go when I hook up the NDLR.

Post edited by vanklomk on

Comments

JRatronJRatron United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 13

thanks for this and the setup guide you did. very helpful :)

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

From my opinion all those features could be implemented in the Deluge by origin without stealing to much CPU Power.
    But that would be a total new direction in software developpment and I don´t think that this is part of Rohans ideas.

@JRatron said:
    thanks for this and the setup guide you did. very helpful :)

Thanks!

71777177 (:Posts: 38

@Eddy said:
    From my opinion all those features could be implemented in the Deluge by origin without stealing to much CPU Power.
    But that would be a total new direction in software developpment and I don´t think that this is part of Rohans ideas.

Yah, I think one could do it that hardware but it's the total opposite of Deluge's design concept. It has this supermonstrous deterministic sequencer which makes it easier than on any other groovebox to program notes controlling every aspect like you'd write music in say musescore, whereas the ndlr is a sequencer geared towards the (semi)random generative style of composing the modular folks love. They are opposite sides of the spectrum in a way, can't see how you could marry the two except bying a ndlr and slaving it to a Deluge hehe

I don´t see the NDLR such a random, chaotic device: Everything is structured - you have four parts to play chords on certain buttons and exactly that chord thing is the feature I am missing (as mentioned in other discussions)

In my mind, they are very different and complement each other well. I see the NDLR more for live jamming, but if you have a sound you like you can easily set the Deluge track length and record it, then go back and tweak steps, add/remove notes or whatever.

For me, the benefit is that I can play more interesting chord progressions than I would otherwise with my limited theory and ability. I end up staying in G or C major otherwise, just because that's my comfort zone. I ordered the Kordbot as well, and we'll see if that's a keeper. I planned on trying both Kordbot and NDLR and just keeping one. Now I know the NDLR is a keeper so we'll see if the Kordbot complements it or is redundant.

Most likely scenario is I'll sell the Kordbot to help fund a Zoia and then someday end up with a Theoryboard.

I am very curious about comparison Kordbot with NDLR: Please let us know which one will be the keeper.

@Eddy said:
    I am very curious about comparison Kordbot with NDLR: Please let us know which one will be the keeper.

Didn't knew about Kordbot, thx for pointing out it exists (:

DannoHungDannoHung Posts: 11

Please keep us up to date on NDLR and Kordbot. They both seem very interesting!

The Kordbot still hasn't shipped. Pretty annoying.

GameDudeGameDude EarthPosts: 51

@vanklomk said:
    The Kordbot still hasn't shipped. Pretty annoying.

How long have you been waiting? I see that ISLA is working on another device now called the SP2400. Hopefully you get your Kordbot soon :)

In the end I decided I was happy with the NDLR and didn't need the Kordbot. Then I bought a Linnstrument 128. Decided to sell the Kordbot the day it arrived. Owned it for less than 4 hours and never plugged it in. Then I ordered a ZOIA. That'll be here next week. :#

@vanklomk said:
    In the end I decided I was happy with the NDLR and didn't need the Kordbot. Then I bought a Linnstrument 128. Decided to sell the Kordbot the day it arrived. Owned it for less than 4 hours and never plugged it in. Then I ordered a ZOIA. That'll be here next week. :#

((:

Just_Peter118Just_Peter118 The NetherlandsPosts: 42

@vanklomk said:

How do you like the ZOIA? Is it a good companion for the Deluge? Maybe a video........

Now that I have got a NDLR I must say: Great companion to the Deluge! :)
    I am still working on the setup....strange things happen sometimes: Deluge is looping and recording when I press play on the NDLR, but I think I can solve these problems.

(My NDLR is connected MIDI IN B to Deluge MIDI OUT, NDLR MIDI OUT A to Deluge MIDI IN
    MOTIF 1 "CLK OUT on boot screen is switched OFF
    NDLR has external SYNC by Deluge)

When I turn the Position (knob top right) from MOTIF1 down to lower values the mystery starts: The Deluge speeds up in tempo throughout till max or - in other cases it slows down which can be "controlled" by not turning the Position knob too far to the left.
    In other situations deluge startet recording what was also caused by the NDLR
    There seems to be a correlation with higher Patt Length (also top right) but I am not sure yet.
    I have got to make some MIDI OX logs sometime, but at the time I´ve got no MIDI interface for PC.

By the way: Factory reset did not help.

I really like the NDLR but this issue prevents excessive ndling at the moment.

I will keep on exploring

Problem solved: I had programmed some MIDI remote commands (Play/Rec/Layer and so on) on some MIDI notes with lower values in the DELUGE Setup. After deleting all works fine!

but....when you connect your NDLR via USB to the DELUGE a MIDI feedback occurs.
    I can´t help with that issue :(

funktreefunktree NYPosts: 128

@Eddy said:

We've already have some of the NDLR features. :) The probability implementation on deluge is very clever, with a few tweaks you can have inversion of chords etc. Adding the RAND mod source to a few essential parameters can result it some very interesting lead, or chord section without going 4-8 bars long tracks