Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Please Explain How Mod Amounts Are Calculated

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

So... I would presume if I have samples loaded into both oscs and I want to crossfade between them based on velocity then I set the level of the first sample to 50, the second to 0, and then apply a velocity mod amount of -50 to the first and +50 to the second. This is how it would work in any other synth I've used.

This doesn't seem to work though. A level of zero seems to remain at zero even if a mod amount of +50 is applied. The modulation is completely cancelling out the other way though!

This is with a sample in kit mode if that makes any difference.

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Comments

funktreefunktree NYPosts: 128

Do this the other way around ... set both volumes to 25 and then the -50 on VELO modulation will work I believe... or you might need to do -25 +25 ... I know we don’t have AND/OR modifiers on deluge as korg radias or waldorf blofeld has.

While on this try SAW waveform on the LFO1 and turn the sync on on the LFO1 ... The set LFO1 modulate filter cutoff with negative value (-25-50) you’l get a nice rhythmic envelope.
    If you need more pluck just MODULATE LFO1 by LFO1 (not sure if you can do this if you do SYNC on LFO1)

Once you figure it out you will love how it is done.
    I just wish deluge needs negative values on golden knobs too. Right now you cannot dial negative values :(

duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137

I realized envelopes were not behaving as I expected. Maybe this is a result of the same thing that surprised the OP here. I'd love to better understand how this works.

My intuition about applying an envelope to a parameter is that whatever value I set that parameter to before envelope modulation is applied will be the base value from which it will start attack and to which it will return at end of release (or end of decay if sustain level is zero).

What I've observed is the start-attack/end-release value drops below the unmodulated value as mod depth increases. I wonder if the start-attack and attack peak values are kept "equidistant" from the unmodulated value.

Anyone know?

duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137

If the equidistance thing is true, there might also be some kind of depth governor to prevent topping or bottoming out, because I can't seem to get any envelope modulation on a parameter set to zero (at least for a parameter that can't go negative, like FM feedback or mod osc level).