Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

MLR mode for Deluge

myecholaliamyecholalia SingaporePosts: 3

Probably a long shot, but definitively worth asking. A bit of context: I've been a monome user for about a decade now and have been using monome 64 and 128 devices as well as arcs. The killer app for monome in the early days was MLR, a live sampler, looper, and sample mangler. A lot of people are still using MLR or the later MLRV as a composition and performance instrument. One of the "concerns" always was that it's depending on using a laptop as it's based on Max/MSP. Also, because it's a Max-based software patch, some people have been complaining about instabilities with regards to Max versions, serialosc drivers for monome etc. Over the years, people have always asked for a hardware-based MLR, but up to this day something like that doesn't exist.

Now, in my mind the Deluge already contains all the building blocks for a hardware-based MLRV. Already as it is, the Deluge is immensely capable, but if a mode could be added to the Deluge that would make it behave like MLR it would not only add to an already killer device, but it would add an additional potential circle of buyers as well. I've linked the MLRV tutorial video as well as 2 performance videos that should give a decent idea of what this is all about. The last link goes to a github with latest version of MLR and some documentation. Looking forward to all comments.

EDIT: Download link for MLRV on the bottom of this page (which also has a ton more infos): parallelogram.cc/mlrv/

https://vimeo.com/22152142
https://vimeo.com/128746859
https://vimeo.com/460728
https://github.com/monome-community/mlr

Post edited by myecholalia on
Tagged:

Comments

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

Wow, cool.

It sure is, Matthew ;-)
    And greetings to my old home town.

kinakina New ZealandPosts: 27

This would be awesome, but can the idea simply be copied across for free?

This is a good question that I've not considered before. If I'm not wrong, MLR had been released under GNU General Public License. I believe that because of that there would be absolutely no issue in studying the inner workings of the respective Max patches to create a derivative work. BUT: GPL dictates that derivative work also must be released under GNU General Public License, and if I remember correctly the Synthstrom folks were quite specifically mentioning that Firmware would not be any form of open source. Comments would be welcome.

Holl1f3ldHoll1f3ld OZPosts: 2

This is a no brainier for this device. i expected it it to already function this way.

Holl1f3ldHoll1f3ld OZPosts: 2

What would be of further interest and deeper scope would be to zoom as you do in the step mode but in the loop mode. Then whilst zoomed in be able to loop smaller and smaller sections of the audio. If the software could accomodate this I would buy it instantly. Dont get me wrong its quite impressive as it is. The functionality of the pitch and time seems wonderful. But to have further control of the loops and looping regions like in MLR or the re:mix patch for M4L would be mind blowing...

jonrileyjonriley USAPosts: 3

I posted this in the facebook group! Great minds!

rephazerrephazer hollandPosts: 24

Upvoted :)

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

+1

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

EarthCryEarthCry Asheville NCPosts: 15
    This would make this device golden for live Loopers. I've been searching for a hardware mlrv device forever! Don't let this request die y'all!
    edisonSFedisonSF United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 18
    +1000
    poldensteinpoldenstein italyBeta Tester Posts: 43

+1

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

There are Daedelus samples on the machine, I'm sure he has thought this. ; - )

Perhaps a MLR-ish mode for the looped samples inside Deluge OS?

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

+1

EarthCryEarthCry Asheville NCPosts: 15

Maybe we should step back and approach this incrementally. The first thing we would need for the mlrv functionality is the ability to "clip chop" each pattern by pressing a corresponding track button in song mode which would restart the playhead at that position. As of now, if you press a grid button in song mode, it will take you into the track edit view. So essentially there would have to be a button press that enters you into "clip chop" mode or "mlrv" mode. Maybe the Keyboard button?

FakeWorkFakeWork Mid-west_USAPosts: 4
    edited July 2018

I'd LOVE to see this for the sequencer! Maybe hit the keyboard button when in track view? Then be able to stutter and retrig sequences and mute / arm instantly in this mode. If samples or loops are properly set up in stretch mode this would work seamlessly and I could mix in my own synths and drums with out having to render them to clips.

Post edited by FakeWork on
    blogic12blogic12 United StatesPosts: 5
    edited February 2019

i started a new thread not realized this on already existed.

it would be amazing to see this on the deluge. this is the MLR type of functionality i'd love on the deluge:
    really hope this comes to be. it would take the deluge to a whole new level in terms of a performance instrument

Post edited by blogic12 on

Yes please.. This would be incredible!

madeinspacemadeinspace AustraliaPosts: 6

This! that would be absolutely rad

JscottkJscottk SeattlePosts: 51

+1

levicolelevicole United StatesPosts: 4

I would rather the Deluge just be a monome grid either via a grid mode using USB serial, or by implementing some functionality to allow the deluge's grid to be controlled by midi CC.

pogodancepogodance United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 57

This would be magical. I love my Norns but I use my Deluge more because it's portable, and one single unit with battery. I hate making music at desks!