Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

New Owner loving it, but rookie question.

Surf_HunterSurf_Hunter Posts: 43
edited December 2018 in Deluge Help

Had my Deluge a weeks or so now and loving it, using it to control other gear (no issues setting up midi channels to a Minotaur, TR-8 drum machine, system 1 and a couple other fun pieces and having a ball.
I am trying to increase track length but keep running into an issue that I'm sure is an easy fix. I get track 1.1and 1.2 no problem, when I hit 'shift + pressing down the <> knob) to get a 1.3, it creates it, but the pads are all lit grey and I can't add any notes.
I'm sure this is an embarrassing question, but I'm stumped

BTW, guitar noodler for a while and getting into synthasis as part of my mid life crisis. :D

Thanks all and what an awesome piece of gear!
Surf -

Post edited by Surf_Hunter on

Comments

SpiderLabSpiderLab Byron BayPosts: 18

No embarrassing questions here :-) The manual is like a Rubics Cube so be prepared for many undocumented features. This one is in the manual though - pg15.
    The grey screen is a result of extending track length:
    "Editing track length is achieved by holding the shift button and turning the ◄► knob. This process is easiest to visualise when shortening a track, for which you would turn the ◄► knob anticlockwise. One by one, you will see the right-most columns of pads will turn grey as you turn the knob, indicating that they are now beyond the track’s end, which is now further left than before. Tracks may be any length, including unusual ones - e.g. 7 beats long."
    The other action you are doing doubles the length of existing tracks:
    "Sometimes, you may wish to “multiply” an existing track - that is, to make a copy of the track’s existing sequence of notes, and place that copy after the original. To do this, hold down the shift button and press down on the ◄► knob. The Deluge will then automatically zoom out to reveal the entirety of the multiplied track."

Have fun!

Thanks, so the grey lit pads is showing the extended track that is beyond what is playing, cool I guess I still don't get why can't pic a kit or synth ad fill in some notes. I'll have some pad time tomorrow and will dive into it.

Thanks for helping!
    Tom

Got it, boy was I over thinking that. I can't believe how user friendly this thing is.

WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 236

@Surf_Hunter said:
    Got it, boy was I over thinking that. I can't believe how user friendly this thing is.

If it's any consolation, I think I asked the same question a couple of weeks back. I'm new to the machine as well, and blown away by it. Occasionally it seems like something's not quite working, but I generally find that it's just inexperience and user error.

Be patient with yourself. It's a strange and beautiful beast, and very unusual. I've had endless support here on the forum - always getting things resolved with some guidance.

All the best with your new enigmatic apparatus

;0)

doodloodoodloo Lisbon, PortugalBeta Tester Posts: 37
    edited December 2018

For some reason I cannot seem to find the "New Discussion" button, and since I have a newbee question, I'll follow up here.

I cannot find a way for the view to "follow" the cursor while playing / recording. What's the shortcut for that please? I watched tons of video, and nobody was using that, until I randomly noticed that this guy had that activated:

That's the single and only video on Youtube showing that behavior - so it might be something really really hidden...

He's just pressing "Play", without other button - so I'm thinking it's a global setting - yet I didn't find it or anywhere mentioning it in the docs.

Can anyone help please?

Post edited by doodloo on
    edited December 2018

@doodloo said:
    For some reason I cannot seem to find the "New Discussion" button, and since I have a newbee question, I'll follow up here.

I cannot find a way for the view to "follow" the cursor while playing / recording. What's the shortcut for that please? I watched tons of video, and nobody was using that, until I randomly noticed that this guy had that activated:

That's the single and only video on Youtube showing that behavior - so it might be something really really hidden...

He's just pressing "Play", without other button - so I'm thinking it's a global setting - yet I didn't find it or anywhere mentioning it in the docs.

Can anyone help please?

Personally, I don't know if it is possible to have the cursor visible all the time.
    From what I understand, unlike a DAW, when working on the Deluge, the 16X8 pads always show the availble notes in the section you're working on (which is dependent upon your zoom resolution). You can zoom out to view a larger time window, {Push and Rotate the < > knob} but that is the only way to understand where within your loop you are.

I'm not aware of any provision for keeping the cursor/current bar in view.

I hope my input is accurate, and I'm not misleading you...

Post edited by Will on
    edited December 2018

Hi @Will and thanks for the help.

If you watch that videos you'll see that the functionality exists. Both hands are clearly off device, and horizontal scrolling continues to keep cursor at same spot.

I understand the logic behind your explanation - I'm talking about the arranger mode here, where there's no such logic of bars anymore.

Anyone please, can you maybe point me to a way to create a new post here? Thanks!

Post edited by doodloo on

@doodloo said:
    Hi @Will and thanks for the help.

If you watch that videos you'll see that the functionality exists. Both hands are clearly off device, and horizontal scrolling continues to keep cursor at same spot.

I understand the logic behind your explanation - I'm talking about the arranger mode here, where there's no such logic of bars anymore.

Anyone please, can you maybe point me to a way to create a new post here? Thanks!

Thanks for responding. I'm new with this machine too, and very happy for the insight.

Oh yeah also in the manual under song view it says "Solo Section": "Double-tap Section pad". Never was able to get that done. I usually have to push down the <> knob and push the Lanch instead. Did anyone get that part? :)

p_watsp_wats TorontoPosts: 111
    edited December 2018

You can change the cursor behaviour in the arranger view by toggling the "cross screen" button. In one mode the cursor moves and in the other mode the cursor stays and your arrangement moves.

Post edited by p_wats on

@p_wats you sir are a hero.

magooeymagooey CaliforniaPosts: 1

Hi all! Recently got a deluge and have a problem. When I select Kit and try to play any of the audition buttons, there is no sound and file flashes on the screen. If I turn the select knob, file also flashes (and no back button flashing). I have turned the deluge off and on, no change. I reloaded the firmware plus removed samples I previously added. A few days ago, I was creating new kits and adding samples to audition buttons. However, those new kits are not showing (but I think that is because I did not save them). Thanks for the help. Oh, btw, the synth section works just fine.

Must be frustrating.
    My first guess is perhaps an issue with the SD card. Perhaps reformat it, then reload the contents.
    I know it's a pain, but sometimes you have to get your hands dirty to make a new piece of gear work.
    Worth the effort I promise you

;0)

recursorrecursor UKPosts: 33

@p_wats said:
    You can change the cursor behaviour in the arranger view by toggling the "cross screen" button. In one mode the cursor moves and in the other mode the cursor stays and your arrangement moves.

nice one! thanks!

Thanks all, I am still trying to wrap my brain around the arranger mode, song mode is easy peasy now.