Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Voice stealing

EdiEdi IrelandPosts: 17

I want to try and find out what might be causing voice stealing because I only have three tracks running. Two multisample synths running the same sample, which is a hang drum rhythm.

The third track is an oscillator synth track.

All three of the tracks have mid-to-high amounts of delay and reverb because it's a kind of ambient style song.

Would voice stealing be expected with so few tracks?

Anyone else had this happen? In my last track, I had similar, and resampling a couple of tracks helped... but it will be painful to need to do this a lot and I was surprised to experience voice stealing with only three tracks running. Any thoughts or tips?

Comments

NRuckNRuck UKBeta Tester Posts: 80
    edited January 2019

I'd suggest it is because you are you using the same sample(s) for two different tracks. I've had this happen, too. I'm going to try duplicating the sample files on the SD card and assign different files to each track and I'm sure this would sort it.

Post edited by NRuck on

Thanks @NRuck I'll try that too, great idea.

p_watsp_wats TorontoPosts: 111

I've had voice stealing with small amounts of tracks that still had either:

• Lots of samples/slices in a kit (ie, over 100)
    • Lots of individual delay and reverb settings per kit item (especially if the delay is set to analog mode)
    • Lots of different arp settings on kit items/synth steps
    edited January 2019

Thanks @p_wats

In this case it was definitely the way I somehow managed to create simultaneously playing tracks that were using the same sample file from the SD Card and playing arp. It screwed up the sample streaming from the card.

As @NRuck suggested, creating a duplicate file on the SD card worked but a better solution was to resample the pattern without fx or modulation from each offending track into a new recorded sample and then import into a kit and apply the effects. I think this was easier than creating duplicate sample files on the SD Card, and it all contained within the song save.

Doing this has made it really easy to create an multi-layered sound, with varying degrees of modulation and fx on each layer. It's turned out well.

Thanks for the replies.

Post edited by Edi on
    p_watsp_wats TorontoPosts: 111

@Edi said:
    Thanks @p_wats

In this case it was definitely the way I somehow managed to create simultaneously playing tracks that were using the same sample file from the SD Card and playing arp. It screwed up the sample streaming from the card.

As @NRuck suggested, creating a duplicate file on the SD card worked but a better solution was to resample the pattern without fx or modulation from each offending track into a new recorded sample and then import into a kit and apply the effects. I think this was easier than creating duplicate sample files on the SD Card, and it all contained within the song save.

Doing this has made it really easy to create an multi-layered sound, with varying degrees of modulation and fx on each layer. It's turned out well.

Thanks for the replies.

Oh that's interesting and makes a lot of sense. I've been creating a lot of projects lately that use the same overall wav file and slice it up, but that likely results in the same file being called simultaneously. I'll try some resampling/duplicating files too. Thanks for the tip!