Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Understanding the Deluge - by Andreas Roman (Old firmware, from 2017)

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
edited March 2021 in Deluge Support Content

One of our users created this wonderful document outlining some recommended workflow, ways of approaching the interface.
Download PDF "Understanding the Deluge v3.0"

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on

Comments

bmillionsbmillions Seattle, WAPosts: 2

+1!!!

recursorrecursor UKPosts: 33

nice work - thank you :-)

WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 236

Nice to have something so comprehensive and yet concise.
    Thanks for posting it

RobbymustRobbymust Kaitaia, New ZealandPosts: 25

thank you so much for great insight and effort when you could have been making music

great read!! Thanks!

symph0nicsymph0nic EverywherePosts: 4

The link seems to be dead...could we have it reinstated do you think...?

udelugeudeluge germanyPosts: 61

Link is dead.

facebook is evil

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

Have updated link now. Sorry, a recent server move screwed with a bunch of links. Let me know if you find anymore.

ChandrojiChandroji Berlin / GermanyPosts: 9

Great text and very inspiring and helpful! 😊
    Thanks a lot to the author Andreas Roman!

👍

semarsemar Posts: 31
    edited December 2019

A question about the delay effect.
    In the document "Understanding the Deluge" by Andreas Roman, I read the following:

Then, for further depth, go for the Division value. Usually, the division is set to 16th, which is a pretty nervous delay. But scale it down to 8th, 4th or even across bars, and you get something that’s closer to the delay most of us think of, when we think electronic music. And it’s all in sync.

The question: where do I find that Division value ? Can it be also set for a kit, or it is only reserved for audio clips ?

Thanks for the attention,
    Sergio

Post edited by semar on
    udelugeudeluge germanyPosts: 61

Does this still all fit for 3.0?

facebook is evil

wooderswooders Oxford, UKPosts: 13

After writing a dozen songs on the Deluge (v3) this is pretty much exactly the same workflow I arrived at. Very reassuring to hear I'm doing something that will continue to work!

The wowkflow section would be really helpful to new users, it would be good to incorporate that section into the Synthdawg guide.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

good old thread, yeah i like the writing style, it is well written. it is a good starting point for beginners imho. the author writes it is a collection of his first experiences and I dont see it goes very much beyond that.

for me it doesnt go deep, did never inspire me, it is one way to work with the Song mode, the preferences the author took were pretty obvious for me, like keeping tracks with the same section together. other stuff like keeping always 1/16 resolution or use subsongs for doing larger songs is not true for me. Arranger was a big change for me and Arranger is not even mentioned, in my eyes this doc is still a cool read but it is outdated. for me the title is a bit misleading “understanding the Deluge” claims for me to offer a deeper understanding, and in my opinion it only scratches the surface.
    thats just my opinion, no blame intended, it is inspired work for free, stoked if the author would come back with a new doc, and maybe connect here (afaik he never did, might be wrong, sorry if so) and discuss his findings.

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

Hm, afaik the document is referring to firmware 1.3.

The author has shared more recent opinions on the Deluge, as discussed here on this forum

demosuzkidemosuzki swedemPosts: 2

loved this. very helpful.