Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Sample formats?

WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 236

I haven't seen anywhere in the manual where there is a list of sample formats:
aif, WAV, Mp3

I'm assuming both stereo and monophonic samples can be used?

I'd also like to know which bitrates or what bit depths are supported...

Insights?

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

WAV, no aif or mp3

Stereo and mono. Native format = 44kHz 24bit, but will play anything up to 96kHz 32bit

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Thanks, however I don't really understand what you mean by the term 'Native'...

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

Icoustik is right. Native means the sample rate that the Deluge operates at internally, and can play samples at most easily because it doesn't have to convert their sample rate.

It's also true that beyond 24-bit, any additional bits won't make it out of the Deluge's 24-bit output (in 99% of cases) - but there's no problem with using other bit depths. There's a very tiny overhead for 32-bit wav files which are "floating point" format.

I'm planning to use stereo, high rez, Mp3 samples, as I have quite a lot of samples, (multisample and others which are quite long) and want to make as much use of the 32 GB as possible.

I assume I just write my samples to the SD card in folders, and then upload them into the Deluge, but I'm wondering if there are any other restrictions, or anything else I need to consider as I prepare things - in anticipation of receiving my hardware.....

Excuse my ignorance.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

No mp3's, you'll need to convert them then. Using a batch converter like this one f.ex. https://videoconverter.wondershare.com/

We recently discovered a way to use 64GB SD cards, so you have more headroom there :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@Will said:

I haven't seen anywhere in the manual where there is a list of sample formats:
    aif, WAV, Mp3

I'm assuming both stereo and monophonic samples can be used?

I'd also like to know which bitrates or what bit depths are supported...

Insights?

its WAV only. no aif, aiff

sure you can use stereo or mono.
    bitrate: i've written a batch script that tries to find wav samples Deluge cannot read and fixes them.
    I found bitrates below 44.1khz and bitrates lower than 16bit are the ones that can be problematic.
    my way to go is 44.1khz/16bit, fine for me. i dont notice a musical difference when compared to 44.1khz/24bit, just uses more disk space.

Thanks - all good info to keep my busy getting files prep'd...