Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge clock slaved to Digitakt is off by a weird amount

AeCartAeCart Goshen, IN USABeta Tester Posts: 15

What might cause my Deluge to interpret 100 bpm from my Digitakt as 160 bpm? No matter where I set Digitakt tempo, Deluge adds approx. 60 bpm. I'm on firmware 2.02

Comments

nosepeoplenosepeople United StatesPosts: 49

Does the Deluge show the same error when slaved to other devices? Or just the Digitakt?

Also, try setting the Deluge tempo to 100 and then see if the error reappears. There is a feature on the Deluge that will interpret clocks close to half or double the internal settings as being that setting - I don't have access to the manual at the moment but I think it's called sync scaling.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Try turning off tempo magnitude matching in the settings menu

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

This won't be a tempo magnitude matching thing - that deals in doubles, and 160 isn't double 100.

Are you using the Deluge's trigger-clock input, or MIDI input for syncing? If the trigger-clock input, you might need to change its PPQN setting (settings menu -> tCLO -> IN -> PPQN. Not sure what the Digitakt uses but maybe try 16, 8 or 32.

It's over midi. I'm pretty sure it was back to normal when slaved to a Keystep. The strange part is that it was slaving as expected until recently. I had been rearranging some midi connections and I imagine it has something to do with my routing. Keystep -> Digitakt -> iconnect midi 4 -> and from there it could be going straight to Deluge or it could be going to a splitter and finally to Deluge. Digitakt is set not to receive midi clock from Keystep but I wonder if something is being sent via a midi thru somewhere. I'll have to look after work.

drGrovdrGrov Hampshire, UKBeta Tester Posts: 14

It sounds to me like there are multiple sources generating MIDI clock messages. As the message is just a single pulse, and the timing between those pulses generates the BPM, it's quite easy to get strange timings when more than one clock is present.

Do you have multiple devices connected to the IConnect MIDI 4? That'll certainly merge any midi clocks together. I've just tried 2 synths connected to my MIO 10 (same family), one with a clock of 105 and the other 120. The Deluge synced to a BPM of 223 :).

I'm thinking this has got to be the issue. Thanks for the ideas and sounding board folks!

The theory checked out, my OP-1 tempo was set to "beat match" and because it's connected via usb to the iconnect it was adding it's clock to the midi mix. Turned off beat match and I'm back in sync.