Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Is resolution greater than 64th notes possible?

nosepeoplenosepeople United StatesPosts: 49

Is it possible somehow to zoom in tighter than 64th notes, or offset timing of notes on the grid by small amounts (aka microtiming)? I read somewhere that Learn + Tempo knob will let you do this, but it isn't working for me.

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

short answer: no
    learn + tempo in the manual: speed of the MIDI beat clock or trigger clock that the Deluge OUTPUTS
    as a workaround triplet mode could be used to shift a note by less than a 64th. u could try adding triplet notes in different resolutions, maybe helps in ur use case.

edited August 2018

Triplets do help in some cases. Another workaround is to double the tempo, but that only works using the Deluge solo, or only syncing with devices that can handle the doubled tempo (and if I remember to start the tune that way).

Would still like to see finer resolution as a feature tho.

Post edited by nosepeople on
    pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165

With its tempo magnitude matching feature the Deluge can sync to, say, 120bpm while playing at 240bpm. Which is very cool. But of course, this needs to be considered at the start of the track.
    I think I read that quantization can be completely turned off on the Deluge. Is that so? I haven’t explored that option, I wonder how it is implemented?

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@pfrf said:
    I think I read that quantization can be completely turned off on the Deluge. Is that so? I haven’t explored that option, I wonder how it is implemented?

manual about quantize: set to OFF (which will in fact quantize to 192nd-notes)

Deluge probably could easily offer a 1/128 resolution. however, i wouldnt see using me that much, it is a 8x16 step sequencer in the end, i use 1/64 rarely, just too much page flipping.

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

you can still use a 16th step grid and want to slightly offset things to get that humanized feel. having to zoom to do it is a particular Deluge quirk, but one could imagine being able to shift notes without having to zoom all the way to the resolution of the offset you want.

@amiga909 said:

@pfrf said:

manual about quantize: set to OFF (which will in fact quantize to 192nd-notes)

Quantize off is only for live recording, and AFAIK the timing can't be modified after the fact, except by deleting and trying again.

Deluge probably could easily offer a 1/128 resolution. however, i wouldnt see using me that much, it is a 8x16 step sequencer in the end, i use 1/64 rarely, just too much page flipping.

I find myself zooming in to 64th to fine tune things, and wanting finer resolution. In fact that's why I started this thread :) . I'll use any level of resolution I can get to. I've had an MPC 4000 for years- drop into list edit on that and timing can be adjusted down to a 960th of a quarter note!

@o0_ said:
    you can still use a 16th step grid and want to slightly offset things to get that humanized feel. having to zoom to do it is a particular Deluge quirk, but one could imagine being able to shift notes without having to zoom all the way to the resolution of the offset you want.

A microtiming feature could do that - but the grid is a much better interface than having to hold down a note and turn a knob, and it shows you precisely where the event is. So for the Deluge zooming really is more practical, I think.

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

A microtiming feature could do that - but the grid is a much better interface than having to hold down a note and turn a knob, and it shows you precisely where the event is. So for the Deluge zooming really is more practical, I think.

IF you could zoom in on a particular note and then zoom back out without loosing your position, maybe. I have 2 sequencer that work in a similar fashion when it comes to zooming, and in both case, you have to quickly do math in your head to go find the right page:

So you're on the 2nd page of a 2 bar pattern at 16th level zoom. You want to slightly offset a snare hit on the 13th pad ( 1 bar + 3 quarter notes in ). So you change the zoom level to 64th because you want the hit to be a little bit early.

1. What page and step is the note at that resolution?
    2. If the note has any kind of automation on it, how do you offset the note without loosing everything?
    3. if you use the delete+create method, don't forget to restore the note length. ( also mentally calculate how a single step at 16th zoom translates to a longer duration at 64th ( or finer ) zoom level.

vs.

Select pad at the current zoom level, use encoder ( or encoder+ combo ) to shift the note slightly

I'd like having both options.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Resolution "hack" - works when starting a new song:
    Double the tempo you'll be working in, then Tempo multiply with Learn + Tempo knob.
    Keep repeating to get finer resolution.

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

edited August 2018

@o0_ said:

IF you could zoom in on a particular note and then zoom back out without loosing your position, maybe. I have 2 sequencer that work in a similar fashion when it comes to zooming, and in both case, you have to quickly do math in your head to go find the right page:

So you're on the 2nd page of a 2 bar pattern at 16th level zoom. You want to slightly offset a snare hit on the 13th pad ( 1 bar + 3 quarter notes in ). So you change the zoom level to 64th because you want the hit to be a little bit early.

1. What page and step is the note at that resolution?
    2. If the note has any kind of automation on it, how do you offset the note without loosing everything?
    3. if you use the delete+create method, don't forget to restore the note length. ( also mentally calculate how a single step at 16th zoom translates to a longer duration at 64th ( or finer ) zoom level.

vs.

Select pad at the current zoom level, use encoder ( or encoder+ combo ) to shift the note slightly

I'd like having both options.

Edit- Zoom is always from the left side - that is, if you're looking at a page and you zoom one level in, you're looking at the left half of of the previous page. So, if you position the note you want to edit at the left edge, it will be at the left edge regardless of how much you zoom in or out.

For durations I just zoom back out once the attack is in the right place, and adjust the length.

Automation - yeah, there should be some sort of copy feature that allows selection of a region to copy, and copies the per-step automation with it. Only being able to copy a screen's worth of info is a drag.

Post edited by nosepeople on

@Icoustik said:
    Resolution "hack" - works when starting a new song:
    Double the tempo you'll be working in, then Tempo multiply with Learn + Tempo knob.
    Keep repeating to get finer resolution.

Nice tip, that was buried in the manual and not in the shortcut summary at the end. IIUC I can double the tempo on the Deluge, and then send 1/2 that tempo to external sync'd boxes. Very good!