Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Work Flow and File Management...How do you like to build songs and keep them tidy with the Deluge?

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

Have you discovered any good habits you'd like to share? Have you found reliable ways of creating songs that keep samples, kits and synths relevant and prevents them from getting lost in the event of a moved or replaced folder?
It would be nice to get a list going of users workflow as we progress with this great little box...

Tagged:

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

My structure looks like this:
    drmL //drum koops
    drnS // drum single shots
    vox // human voice
    sfx // various fx
    inst // synths, piano, ..
    _iso // sample libaries, rather temporary

I've started a sample manager tool for Deluge, https://github.com/amiga909/deluge-synthstrom-utils
    currently the only thing it does is archiving unused recordings.
    Upgraded to a 32GB card, dont have storage issues right now. Things on my mind:

• archive all unused samples
    • backup songs: fetch all samples used in a song, move the samples to a new folder and rewrite the song xml accordingly. dont know how to deal with kits yet (kits used in multiple songs).
    edited February 2018
    Ill have to check out that compiler your working on. Very cool. Even just keeping separate what youre not using is helpful. Have you seen theres a kit compiler? It creates kits from all the samples in the folder you run it in. Im away from my computer to share a link right now.
    Also, I like the naming convention youve chosen for browsing on the deluge screen.
    Post edited by minigoat on
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

The upcoming update currently in beta right now has, among other things, scrolling screen text, so it can display full filenames instead of just 4 letters. It scrolls automatically and can be manually viewed with the <>-knob as well :)

That's a big + for keeping samples organized and knowing what's what.

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Cool thanks for the heads up. Thats going to make finding your way around much easier.
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Absolutely

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

im still not certain how we should treat the sd card's samples folder...do we just create music and never touch it again? is it assumed you would never delete any samples once recorded or added? how do you deal with 20 songs that reference small bits of audio from some of the same sources...say you need to get rid of 5 of the songs and have accumulated 30, 4 min resampling files that some of the remaining 15 songs are referencing...and some of the synths youve made also use snippets of those files, and kits. do you just never clean up anything and carry on accumulating until you run out of card space, afraid to mix or remove anything!?
    ive only begun creating about 12 decent skeletons/sketches so far, maybe 3 or 4 id say are solid keepers, and of those 12 im already missing files from like 4 of them somehow.
    ive stopped the creative process for now, until i can get a grip on how i should structure going forward.
    Embrace the Chaos!? maddnes i tells ya

The user and all related content has been deleted.

@alien_brain +1 to that. Something similair to ableton's 'collect all and save' option would be great. Until then...?

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199
    edited May 2018

This would be a great feature.

Beatmaker 2 and 3 have this collect all samples and keep them in a song directory function as did NanoStudio. Very handy for keeping tidy file structure or swapping out samples on the device in order to utilize limited capacity drives better.

For this machine, it would have seem to need an associated song directory created at save in the SAMPLES folder with samples copied at Save, or a copy to the root of SONGS and the song xml file stores the new path.

If you dump out all samples later, you would have to be able to browse to SONGS to find a sample you’ve used before if it saved to SONGS folder. Might get messy in SAMPLES creating a bunch of song number/letter iteration directories in there.

Maybe have a USED_SAMPLES new directory on root of card and they all get a copy in there and path written to xml in song.

Will be interesting to see how they do it if they decide to in a future update.

Post edited by Vondragonnoggin on
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    emptyvesselemptyvessel usaPosts: 30

@amiga909 said:
    My structure looks like this:
    drmL //drum koops
    drnS // drum single shots
    vox // human voice
    sfx // various fx
    inst // synths, piano, ..
    _iso // sample libaries, rather temporary

I've started a sample manager tool for Deluge, https://github.com/amiga909/deluge-synthstrom-utils
    currently the only thing it does is archiving unused recordings.
    Upgraded to a 32GB card, dont have storage issues right now. Things on my mind:

• archive all unused samples
    • backup songs: fetch all samples used in a song, move the samples to a new folder and rewrite the song xml accordingly. dont know how to deal with kits yet (kits used in multiple songs).

So Im trying to wrap my head around what I can do as far as file management here... can i just create additional folders on the sd card and use them?
    Any more progress with the sample manager tool?

edited June 2018

@emptyvessel said:

So Im trying to wrap my head around what I can do as far as file management here... can i just create additional folders on the sd card and use them?
    Any more progress with the sample manager tool?

Sure, you can have as many folders in /SAMPLES as you like. Did not find to work on it yet, maybe in my next holidays. Maybe we can think together of a good solution for the most needed management tools.

"Backup songs":

• Not hard to do. A bit tricky is handling presets (kits and sample synths) that are shared across multiple songs. I guess for a backup function it is better if a new, unique preset is generated. Then the question is how an automatically generated preset should be named and stored. There needs to be some kind of algo that checks free preset slots and takes "the next best free slot".

"Fix missing samples":

• quick and dirty solution: won't always work if samples have the same name.
    • better solution: generate checksums for all audio files. would also work as a dupe remover. havent done audio fingerprints, dont know how hard to do it right. hard to do it fast for sure.
    • other solution: distinct app to move and rename stuff. fixes sample paths as you go. needs a good GUI I guess.
    Post edited by amiga909 on

http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/1235/fix-missing-samples-app-beta-release/
    good news for sample management tools, made an easy to use desktop app for mac, win, linux (early beta).
    apart from fixing sample paths and indicating missing samples in ur XMLs, the app can be used to free space, reorganize folder structure, .. kind of a workaround for archiving songs i guess.
    a dedicated song archiver could be done too at some point.