Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Have more control over setting note durations (note length)

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

Right now, when I lengthen a note, the last step is included, but when I shorten it, it's not. That's really confusing, specially as you are adjusting things and consistently get it wrong.

I guess the justification is that this way if you want to make the note only last a single step, you click the note, and the step next to it. But to allow for that one use case, every other edits are now sub-optimal.

Also the hold note and hit step doesn't work for all these cases:

• Making the duration shorter than a single step at the current zoom level ( I often use 32nd notes on a 16th grid to keep things snappy )
  • Making the duration longer than the current page ( for example drones, or to have a legato with the first note of the next page )
  • Changing the duration of multiple notes on the track ( say an entire chord? :smile: )
  • Changing the duration of all notes in the track
  • Making relative, rather than absolute duration changes ( double or half the length of all notes )

I think that separating selecting notes from adjusting their length into two distinct steps would give a better workflow, and probably should be added as an alternate workflow, keeping the current mode for simple single note adjustments.

Comments

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

You can do the second on your list very easily - it's a simple procedure described in the manual.

Personally the only one on your list that ever bugs me is the first one - you could get round this by the ability to default note length to the last length set (regardless of zoom level). There's already a request for that here but unfortunately it never got much traction.

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Specifically I know I can do a series of operations on the current page ( or view? ) which is always exactly 16 steps at whatever zoom level you want, which is a useful way to define a range, but can't be the only way to select more than one note. Also it's actually really useful to zoom out to see as much of your track/chord progression that way, and select chords or sections of the track while you see everything instead of only being able to selects blocks of 16 steps at a time

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

Yeah simple note duration editing is something that I would like to see, I often do not want 16th note to be the duration of a whole step etc. I guess the problem is how to add it to the UI without it being too clunky.

some kind of press + rotate encoder ( as long as the value is displayed ) would cover note duration, length, offset, ...
    I'd be fine if the current note velocity editing was extended, so you could toggle between each one