Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Sampling tutorial?

Wondering if there is a comprehensive sampling tutorial anywhere? One thing, for example, Im trying to figure out if I can do live sampling via line in, while a sequenced track is playing?

Comments

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
    edited April 2018

Have you checked out Ron's videos? He has 34 and counting tutorial clips

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on
    emptyvesselemptyvessel usaPosts: 30

I have watched most, yes. Have yet to find a one that covers all of the sampler features.

I have watched most, yes. Have yet to find a one that covers all of the sampler features.

Can the deluge do live sampling, while a track is playing?? effectively like a looper...

SamSam WellingtonModerator, Staff Posts: 160

@emptyvessel Sort of - it's not quite like a looper, in that it won't playback and loop immediately, although you can sample things while a track is playing by recording them into a new kit track row. To do this, just hold down the audition pad of the row you want to sample into, then press record. Press record again to stop recording (the track will keep playing) and the recorded sample should be loaded into that row, ready to use :smile:

OK great! So i guess Im wondering, is there an option to have record start exactly at the beginning of a bar, so that there would for sure be no need to adjust the start point of the sample?

SamSam WellingtonModerator, Staff Posts: 160

@emptyvessel Again, sort of! There's a similar feature to this intended for the purpose of re-sampling, so it records the Deluge's output instead of inputs into the Deluge. You could get it to record input, though, by setting up a live input as an oscillator in a new synth track, with a fully held middle C note, so it's always being output. (From memory, I think Ron might have a video on this feature? I'm not 100% sure though). Once you've got that setup, you can re-sample more precise loops by pressing record+play. This begins output-recording at the exact same instant that playback is begun, so you couldn't do it while the track is playing, but it does reduce the need for trimming. Likewise, if you want it to stop at the exact instant that a loop finishes playing, press record+play again. If you want to learn a bit more about this feature and other re-sampling tricks, check out page 32/33 of the manual, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FAeJ5f1sl3kKJgvbKmGRe3PIMjkaYrh3eAXF05PAV6k/edit#

MrWigglyMrWiggly LondonPosts: 1

I made this video about sampling on the Deluge a couple of days ago - I think it covers pretty mich everything you mentioned:

https://youtu.be/7HK8_cKsAOY

Hope it helps!

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

Great video!