Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge sends "STOP" message to SP-404

cvgatecvgate Paris, FrancePosts: 9

Hello from France everyone :smile:

First of all, let me say how the Deluge is a deal-changer to me, It's the brain of my live rig and I love everything about it!

Just one little thing has been bothering me lately: I have a Roland SP-404 as midi slave, which I use for drums and drone samples; no problem with the drums triggs. The issue is when I want to play back those long unsynced samples (the drones) triggered directly from the SP-404 (to be able to improvise). They would eventually stop playing, all at once. Goes without saying that I am aware of and comply with the polyphonic possibilities of the SP-404. If I unplug the MIDI cable and play those drones it goes on for hours without interupting. It's like if the Deluge was sending a "stop" message through MIDI every now and then.

Have you had this issue? What am I missing?

Comments

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited April 2018

@alien_brain said:
    youre not missing something, thats the way the deluge was intended to operate.

Oh. And, if I may, since you seem to know the machine and general MIDI deeper than I do (I mean that, no sarcasm), would you be kind enough to describe exactly why this is happening? So I can see if I can find my way around it! :)

Post edited by cvgate on
    rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

Hi cvgate, so you're saying that when your sp404 is slaved to the deluge, its long samples sometimes randomly cut out? We haven't come across this issue before. Does the same happen when the sp404 is slaved to a different MIDI clock source?

Hi rohan, I don't know if it cuts out randomly or if there's a pattern, but I couldn't find one as of now... I tried syncing it to my Digitakt and it didn't do it, but I have to do more tests to be sure. It might be the SP404 that missunderstands the signals, or maybe a protective cutoff? I am investigating, but I wanted the opinion of the Deluge community. I have to admit to being quite fresh in the field of MIDI operations...

To your knowledge, does the Deluge have any kind of signal that it emits temporarily and that could be understood as a stop signal, or any signal that would overflow the polyphony buffer of the SP404?

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

Ive not encountered this, though im mostly using one-shots to 8 bar loops, and only 3 or 4 at a time. If i get a chance this week, ill try and trigger 4 or 5 long samples and see if it cuts out.