Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Clipping, Crackle and Pop

PixelKickerPixelKicker United KingdomPosts: 65

Hello all,

I am finding that my Deluge is creating clipping noises and it doesn't take much for them to happen. I just had a little jam and it started happening with only 2 tracks running, drums and a synth (Boards of Deluge).

I experimented a little and found if I play the tracks individually it's fine. If I play both but turn the level to zero on one of the tracks, the clipping returns. This makes me think it is a RAM/internal issue but a I'm hardly pushing it with two tracks.

I am running the community firmware but I was experiencing a fair bit of this before the change.

Are there some steps I can take to stop this from happening? Buy a new SD card? My Deluge is due a retrofit, can I report this as a defect to be investigated?

Thanks all

Comments

Welp, no responses here then.

I will see what I can do myself before reporting it as a defect using the form.

Today I will try going back to the latest, official firmware and see if the issue is still present and report back in this thread.

The official firmware seems to remove the issue. I will experiment further but my ability to fully understand this issue has been impacted by me pulling a muscle in my back!

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 611

This makes me think it is a RAM/internal issue but a I'm hardly pushing it with two tracks.

I am running the community firmware but I was experiencing a fair bit of this before the change.

track amount isn't the biggest factor that uses up resources. it's very possible that one or two tracks can completely use the deluge's resources, and sometimes those clips are using more resources than they need to based on how you are using the patch.

BoD patches can often use very long release times, sample based oscillators, unison amounts or 2 or greater (note that unison amount multiplies the voices, so if you have a chord of 3 notes with unison of 8, then the clip now uses 24 voices) and complex or multiple modulations that all take of resources.

some of these issues causing clicks and pops are culling related, the way the deluge cuts out voices to prioritize the next sounds to generate, culling has been slowly improving on community firmware, but those improvements aren't available on the latest public community firmware releases. it would be helpful to know which community firmware you are using. if you'd like you can backup your SD card and try a nightly firmware and see if those pops and clicks persist.

Thank you @reza what you've said here makes a lot of sense. I think I will take your advice and try one of the nightly firmwares and see how that goes.

Your response prompted two additional thoughts:

1. If BoD patches have a habit of clipping, I wonder if Chris is aware and how he tests them before release.

2. Could we get a retro fit in the future to increase internal memory/processing. Maybe it is on the list for any sequel to the Deluge.

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 611

1) i think the creator of the BoD patches generally is just trying to make a great sounding patch one at a time. i'm sure they consider CPU/voice uses to some degree, but i think first and foremost they want to make great/unique sounding patches. if things get too heavy then the end-user could always resample them.

2) unsure about this