Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge and QuNeo - a working combo?

boisnoisboisnois Posts: 45
edited February 14 in General Discussion

Hi, looking for a midi controller for the deluge i dug out my old QuNeo. (realised it can only do MPE via a computer, so that doenst work for me.)
Is anyone else happy/successful with the Deluge / QuNeo combo?
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around configuring the QuNeo for a Deluge use case. If anyone could help/comment, that would be great,. thanks.
B

Post edited by boisnois on
Tagged:

Comments

pitchblenderpitchblender Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 29

I've got an old QuNeo but it's been a long time since I used it. I printed the manual in A5 to help. It's a tricky little devil, but there is a mode (CoMA mode, page 13 of this manual I have) that only sends a single MIDI CC of the particular function you want the Deluge to learn as there are multiple CCs per pad in the QuNeo. You go into CoMA mode by pressing & holding the top-left blue round button.

So, for instance if you want to send pressure only to the filter cutoff of a Deluge synth, it only sends that pad's pressure CC (whilst in CoMA mode) if you go into CoMA mode and press the QuNeo pad's top-right quadrant, making it easy to map CCs to 'learn' on the Deluge. If you want to use the same pad's X value for another synth's filter cutoff on the Deulge, go into CoMA mode then tap the pad's bottom left quadrant, then it only sends the X value CC so Deluge can then learn it without the other CCs messing up the learn process. There are different CoMA mode combos for different type pads on the Quneo.

It's really programmable, and you can use each big pad as 4x buttons if you like. I remember being impressed by its Ableton grid map. You also have multiple banks on the QuNeo and as it has no moving parts there's no jumping values when you change banks like on potentiometers. At least until you change values directly on the Deluge... I did get LED MID feedback working with other stuff but I don't think the Deluge offers this function currently.

It's worth spending a couple of hours with a printout of the the QuNeo's front panel & the manual, pencilling in what you want it to do. Also, once mapped, I suggest saving the same project twice on the Deluge & use one as a default template project before you get jiggy with being creative with this combo, as Deluge hasn't got MIDI mapping templates (yet!) which I find is really inconvenient when using the Deluge with other hardware.

Hope this helps :smile:

boisnoisboisnois Posts: 45

thanks a lot for the thorough and inspiring response,
    best regards