Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Will the entire Community Firmware merge with Official f/w or just bits?

pitchblenderpitchblender Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 28

Hi all, amazing work from both ends of the Deluge evolution, really excited for the future of this little wonder!

BUT! As I've been exploring the Community f/w I've been a bit reluctant to start something serious (such as allocating dozens of MIDI parameters to a few different devices in a template project) as I don't know if it'll be compatible with future f/w versions.
I have 2 separate SD cards with official f/w on one and Community Beta f/w on the other, but I'm sometimes confused when searching for an old project or sequence etc., and it got me thinking.

So basically my question is - are the two f/w's going to eventually merge 100% or are only the 'best bits' going to be assimilated into the Official f/w? Are we going to have to 'choose a side' and stick with that version if we want to stay focused on our creativity? How can we guarantee future compatibility across parallel f/w changes if we want to use newer features from either?

Sorry if I've overlooked something here, any feedback much appreciated :)

Cheers

Comments

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 611

unsure if the two will ever fully merge. maybe years down the line, the best features could get brought into official.

from what i can gather with the current plan, official firmware won't be receiving any new feature updates for a long while. if there are any firmware updates it will be bugfixes. when those come out, they will be ported to community. additionally, if the future brings any new features to official that aren't in community, those should also get ported to community.

my advice is to just go ahead and make those template projects for community. if you ever want to revert back to official for any reason, then you should have different templates used for that.

pitchblenderpitchblender Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 28

Nice one, thanks @reza for clearing that up, much appreciated! The penny's dropped, and I can sleep easy, knowing that I can now turn the Deluge into a sonic VGER (from the 80s Star Trek movie :lol: ) and all my existing half-baked lame learning projects are safe :smiley: