β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Community firmware 1.0 released!

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

The first version of the open-source community firmware project has been released!

Check it out:
https://synthstromaudible.github.io/DelugeFirmware/?fbclid=IwAR2WEdHTox7KbMKVQj8wkGm9IKn9wCKqIDVR-djNombp-EaxNiVt8oi7DNQ

Support the community fund on Patreon:
https://patreon.com/posts/first-deluge-is-94024978?fbclid=IwAR1rLcsjvH4EOAxJIR3iLbYEs72us37QoNaYLUWHlM0MUGiAO8fQdgaX5xE

π—Ÿπ—œπ—¦π—§ 𝗒𝗙 π—™π—˜π—”π—§π—¨π—₯π—˜π—¦:

Audio Improvements
Effects

A MASTER COMPRESSOR has been added and is accessible in Song View.

STEREO CHORUS has been added to MOD FX TYPES. Adjust stereo depth via MOD FX DEPTH.

GRAIN has been added to MOD FX TYPES. Choose from 5 Grain Presets via MOD FX FEEDBACK. †

WAVEFOLD distortion has been added and occurs pre-filter. The parameter pad shortcut is between SATURATION and LPF CUTOFF.

UNISON STEREO SPREAD has been added and can be dialed to spread the unison parts across the stereo field. Click SELECT when in UNISON AMOUNT to reveal the parameter.
Filter

New LPF/HPF State Variable Filters: SVF NOTCH and SVF BANDPASS.

New Filter Parameters: LPF MORPH and HPF MORPH. This morphs the SVF through Lowpass, Bandpass, and Highpass; adds drive to the low pass ladder filters, and adds filter fm to the hpf ladder.

FILTER ROUTING is accessible via the Sound Editor menu and adjusts the filter order from HPF to LPF, LPF to HPF, or PARALLEL.
LFO & Sync

New LFO Shapes: RANDOM WALK and SAMPLE & HOLD.

New Sync Modes: TRIPLETS and DOTTED. (All previous sync rates now include 'TPLTS' and 'DTTED' options.)
Sequencing Improvements

AUTOMATION VIEW allows you to visually create and edit parameter automations across the main grid pads for SYNTH, KIT, and MIDI clips on a per step basis at any zoom level. (Excludes MPE automations).
Probability & Iteration

PROBABILITY BY ROW allows you to set probability for all notes in a given row, expanding from just being able to set probability to currently pressed down notes.

QUANTIZE and HUMANIZE notes after they've been recorded/sequenced on either a per row basis or for all notes in a given clip at once. *

Sequenced notes can be set to FILL which will only play them when the designated FILL button is being held (either a Global MIDI Command or SYNC-SCALING†)
Keyboard View Improvements

New DRUM KEYBOARD VIEW added. Kit rows can now be visualized and played across the main grid pads. By default the area of each sample is spread across 4x4 pads and additionally provides a range of 16 VELOCITY levels. This area can be adjusted from 1x1 to 8x8 grids.

New IN-KEY keyboard layout. IN-KEY will only display notes that are in key of the selected scale across the keyboard layout. The original view is named ISOMORPHIC. Users can switch freely between the two and choose their Default Keyboard Layout in the DEFAULTS Menu.

Adjust ROOT NOTE and SCALE with new shortcuts, this assists the user when using the IN-KEY keyboard layout where not every note is visible to set as a ROOT NOTE.

Adjust the offset of KEYBOARD VIEW via NOTE STEP from 1-16. The Deluge's default NOTE STEP is 5.

HIGHLIGHT INCOMING NOTES will light up incoming MIDI notes across the current KEYBOARD VIEW based on their velocity. *

NORNS LAYOUT provides compatibility for the Monome Norns using the 'midigrid' script. †
User Interface improvements

GRID VIEW is an alternate SONG VIEW layout similar to Ableton's 'Session View'. It displays unique clips across pad rows and the clip variations across pad columns. Effectively allows you to view and launch 128 clips and variations without the need of scrolling to reveal more clips in comparison to ROW VIEW's 8 clips at a time.

Manual Slicing aka 'Lazy Chopping' is now possible by pressing the β—€οΈŽβ–ΆοΈŽ encoder when in the Slice Menu. Allows you to create slice points live while listening to the sample playback.

Any synth preset can now be loaded into a Kit row. Hold the audition pad and press SYNTH to browse/load a preset.

Gold encoders now display a pop-up of their current value when adjusted. The value range displayed is 0-50 for non-MIDI parameters and 0-127 for MIDI parameters.

A MOD MATRIX entry has been added to the sound editor menu which shows a list of all currently active modulations of a given preset.

You can change the launch status of a clip from DEFAULT to FILL. When a FILL clip is launched it will schedule itself to play the fill at such a time that it finishes by the start of the next loop and then mutes itself.

You can now scroll through parameter values and menus faster by +/- 5 by holding SHIFT while turning the SELECT encoder.

You can now shift a clip's row color from Song View without having to enter the given clip to do so.

You can now set the stutter effect to be quantized to 4TH, 8TH, 16TH, 32ND, and 64TH notes before engaging it. †

Increased the resolution of modulation between sources and their destinations by including two decimal places to the modulation amount. *

An option to swap the behavior of the TEMPO encoder when turned versus pressed & turned. *

STICKY SHIFT - Tapping SHIFT will lock SHIFT ON unless another button is also pressed during the short press duration. Allows for quicker parameter editing. †

Incoming MODULATION WHEEL MIDI data from non-MPE synths now maps to Y on the Deluge.

The metronome's volume now respects the song's volume and will increase or decrease in volume in tandem with the LEVEL-assigned gold encoder. In addition, a DEFAULTS menu entry METRONOME enables you to set a value between 1 and 5 to further adjust the volume of the Metronome.

An alternative setting when pressing DELAY-assigned gold encoders can be enabled. The default is PINGPONG (ON/OFF) and TYPE (DIGITAL/ANALOG) for the upper and lower gold knobs respectively. The alternate mode changes it to SYNC TYPE (EVEN, TRIPLETS, DOTTED) and SYNC RATE (OFF, WHOLE, 2ND, 4TH, ETC.) respectively. †

The default behavior of 'catching'/playing notes when instantly launching/muting clips can now be turned off. This can result in less unexpected percussive sounds triggering when instantly switching between clips. *

Waveform Loop Lock - When a sample has loop start and loop end points set, holding down loop start and tapping loop end will lock the loop points together when adjusting their position across the waveform.

Pressing AUDITION + RANDOM on a drum kit row will load a random sample from the same folder as the current sample. *

You can now batch delete kit rows which do not contain any notes, freeing kits from unused sounds. *

Audio waveforms can be shifted in an Audio clip, similar to instrument clips, with the exclusion of wrapping the audio around.

Support for sending and receiving large SYSEX messages has been added. This allows 7SEG behavior to be emulated on OLED hardware and vice versa. Also allows for loading firmware over USB. As this could be a security risk, it must be enabled in community feature settings. †
MIDI Improvements

Change handling of MPE expression when collapsed to a single MIDI channel. Previously y axis would still be sent as CC74 on single midi channels. This changes it to send CC1 instead, allowing for controllable behavior on more non-MPE synths. Future work will make a menu to set this per device.

Added additional MIDI ports which improves usability of MPE-capable devices via USB by sending MPE to one port and non-MPE to the other port.

MIDI Takeover Mode - Affects how the Deluge handles MIDI input for learned CC controls. Options include JUMP, PICKUP, SCALE.

Fixed bugs in mpe handling so that mpe and MIDI channels can be separated without requiring differentiate inputs
Footnotes

• Denotes a feature that is ENABLED by default in the COMMUNITY FEATURES menu but can be disabled.

† - Denotes a feature that is DISABLED by default in the COMMUNITY FEATURES menu but can be enabled.
Known issues

A list of all known issues can be found in the issues tab. Not all of them can be solved in time for this release and here is a list of some that you might want to avoid:

Combining Ring Mod synthesis, Unison > 0, Unison stereo spread > 0 and Noise > 1 can lead to very loud noise
Deleting loop start using waveform loop lock can lead to crashes
Changing clip type from kit to Audio and back causes some kit rows to disappear
Controlling Grain FX feedback via MIDI while monitoring an audio clip can freeze the Deluge
Loading synths to kit rows occasionally freezes the deluge. We recommend you save regularly while building kits in this manner
Dotted/Triplet arp rates not applied during auditioning
Sometimes synths named with only numbers will fail to load when browsing synth presets or loading synths to kit rows. If this happens scrolling forwards 6+ spots and then back will usually load it correctly

~ Distinguished Delugate α••( β—Ž_β—Ž)α•—

Β«1

Comments

staubistaubi Erlangen/GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 62

Wow, what a big release! I am totally overwhelmed by the sheer number of added features!
    A huge thank you for all open source contributors and the Synthstrom team!

Brass side of life: JTK

EvilpilliEvilpilli NorwayPosts: 14

Love it! Any reason why the automation lanes are not available for audio tracks? Any plans for that to be a feature in the future?

seangoodvibesseangoodvibes Beta Tester Posts: 49

@Evilpilli said:
    Love it! Any reason why the automation lanes are not available for audio tracks? Any plans for that to be a feature in the future?

Next release! I just didn’t have the time to get around to it for this release :)

EvilpilliEvilpilli NorwayPosts: 14

@seangoodvibes
    That's great to hear! Was worried there were some specific issues with automation and audio tracks. Thanks for all the work you guys do to make the Deluge even more incredible!

PercivalePercivale SingaporeBeta Tester Posts: 32

What a fabulous delivery from a great community project. Thank you!

Bay_MudBay_Mud OntarioBeta Tester Posts: 128

This is amazing. I've been gigging with the beta and loving all the features (so many I haven't even had the chance to use yet). Such an accomplishment! Hats off to all the devs.

bigbadrobbobigbadrobbo ChristchurchPosts: 4

Indeed, this is incredible. Thanks for all the hard work!!

GKRGYGKRGY Posts: 34

I just want to say THANK YOU. Ian, Roan, and SA for taking this giant leap going open source. The OS Deluge Dev community for this amazing feat. Kudos everyone!

I look forward to the day some/most/all features make it into firmware 5.0. I have too many projects to finish before I can walk down this road... I know myself. I will never do if I do.

punxdronepunxdrone DeutschlandPosts: 11

A huge thank you for this release! The Deluge has incredible potential and you make a great device even better. Love it!!

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

Wow, incredible work and massive thanks to all involved, I admit I was a bit worried when the decision to open source the Deluge was announced, but so great to see how successful it has been, both in execution and deployment. <3 <3 <3

shoodashooda UKBeta Tester Posts: 10

Wow! This is fantastic - thank you to all involved. Cant wait to try out all the new goodies :)

FASTFAST CaliforniaPosts: 47

Loading synth patches into a kit has been on my wish list for a long time. This is a powerful feature for live performance to have the drum and bass sequences on the same page. A million thanks to everybody who worked on this update.

EdREdR Dallas TX USAPosts: 51

So when's the new manual gonna be available?;)

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

Just chiming in with everyone else here, but this is nothing short of absolutely incredible.

Synthstrom folks: this must have been a huge leap of faith to have taken. You have demonstrated an amazing amount of respect for the Deluge community. For this, you deserve insane love and admiration from us all!

Community folks: the work you've all done so far proves Synthstrom's faith right. I've only tested out a few of the features so far, but they're game-changing. Modulate kit samples' parameters with velocity and play on the new drum grid... mind blown. Grid view. Master compressor. Explicit automation lanes. Free chopping. Any one of these features alone!

This turns the Deluge into the best machine out there, but gear is just gear. What really matters is that you are all the best people making the Deluge and contributing to it.

Mad love and respect!

I'm blown away by the amount the of new stuff that been added to the Deluge- I'm totally in awe of the coders!
    I'm really keen to get started with the Community Release but I'm having trouble installing it. Ive tried the usual method - restart with shot held down - witht the .bin file in the root but I'm getting ERRor - anyone else had this?
    a Cursory glance at the discussions turned up nothing.

J

@TheBurningTrestle said:
    I'm blown away by the amount the of new stuff that been added to the Deluge- I'm totally in awe of the coders!
    I'm really keen to get started with the Community Release but I'm having trouble installing it. Ive tried the usual method - restart with shot held down - witht the .bin file in the root but I'm getting ERRor - anyone else had this?
    a Cursory glance at the discussions turned up nothing.

J

Are you sure you have only 1 bin file in the root directory of the SD card? Watch out for hidden files if on macOS/ iOS

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 611

@TheBurningTrestle re: updating to community release: are you sure it's the only .bin file in the SD card, you'll have to delete the previous .bin file. check the filesize of the .bin file too.

this guide goes through the whole process: https://github.com/SynthstromAudible/DelugeFirmware/wiki#updating-firmware

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

I would love if the next manual would have an excessive Table of contents with all headings included. The last one was very stylish, but a TOC with 16 entries for 338 pages describing so many functions is very difficult. Even with fulltext search because you can find a lot words at the same time in many different places.

So please add an excessive TOC in the next manual. Thank you.

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

@OdoSendaidokai there's an index at the end of the manual (page 324 for 4.0.1) that has what you describe.

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

@reza said:
    @OdoSendaidokai there's an index at the end of the manual (page 324 for 4.0.1) that has what you describe.

No. That's an index. I was asking for a table of contents. That is something else for a different use.

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

Wolf_TWolf_T SpainPosts: 39

Is there meanwhile a PDF description of the new features or do I have to create my own?

@Wolf_T said:
    Is there meanwhile a PDF description of the new features or do I have to create my own?

No pdf as far as I know, but can use this
    https://github.com/SynthstromAudible/DelugeFirmware/blob/community/docs/community_features.md

a community firmware manual will be released in the coming weeks as well, made by the author of the official firmware manuals !

raphaelraphael francePosts: 6

Hi Everybody

first of all i would like to express my gratitude to the clever and generous people who created this great musical instrument and who decided to make it open source.

I'm an amateur electronic musician since 1988 and and i've owned many devices. It's the firts time i see a manufacturer doing such a gift to its users. So, thanks a lot.

Huge Thank's and greatings to the ones who used their precious spare time to offer us this first and glorious open source release.

I have not tested it yet and i have many questions before.

My deluge is a very old one with an outdated Bootloader. I would like to tests this firmware but i read that there is a risk to "brick" my deluge. Is it the case ?

Thanks.

NOFACE1NOFACE1 Posts: 2

Hey.. Great work.. I tried to put it on..was thinking it was going good. but then no matter how many shift +power on.. i could not get not even one sound coming from the KITS. everything else seemed to have been working fine. Has anyone else ran into this?

sorry if i wasn't suppose to ask this on this forum.. but the info might help

raphael ** I'm not sure if it will brick.. for sure not saying it won't...

but it was not hard to go back to the official one..
    i was going back a forth trying to solve this issue i mentioned in this post. my unit is from 2019

raphaelraphael francePosts: 6

@NOFACE1 said:
    Hey.. Great work.. I tried to put it on..was thinking it was going good. but then no matter how many shift +power on.. i could not get not even one sound coming from the KITS. everything else seemed to have been working fine. Has anyone else ran into this?

i was going back a forth trying to solve this issue i mentioned in this post. my unit is from 2019

Thanks for your answer. I am so afraid to freeze my Deluge. i will wait for now. Looking at all this great job being done on the open firmware is very pleasant by itself.

Thanks

NOFACE1NOFACE1 Posts: 2

@raphael said:

@NOFACE1 said:

Thanks for your answer. I am so afraid to freeze my Deluge. i will wait for now. Looking at all this great job being done on the open firmware is very pleasant by itself.

Thanks

I totally understand you.. very smart.. best to wait and try with a more stable version. we are a bit the same.. i just found out about the Screen Retro fit thing. From my fist day with deluge .. i was wanting a better display.. Took me so long to get the hang of the 7seg. But now no way in the world .. would I let my deluge out of my sight. If I can fly it to them in person OK... but mail it.. NO NO...

These developers that take on these projects are AMAZING.. and actually they are the ones who deserve to be the rich ones... so I don't think they would want to break or harm anyone's deluge.. But no matter what task you take on with stuff like this

YOU MUST FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS Step by Step each and every time. this way you can most likely get back to where you started...
    My first time was all fear of bricking..
    Iphone 1st gen. 2007-8 . putting the pineapple on it. but when it unlocked ..it opened a whole new world for me from that moment..

good luck

edited January 8

@NOFACE1 follow these steps to properly update to new firmware: https://github.com/SynthstromAudible/DelugeFirmware/wiki#updating-firmware
    if you can confirm that you properly updated to community firmware that would be helpful (check firmware in the deluge menu [settings>firmware]). no sounds in kits sounds like your samples were either removed or moved to a different location than the kit has been told to look.

@raphael there is risk ONLY if you load firmware that is 0bytes or over 3.5MB. when you download the community firmware, check your .bin filesize on the SD card before installing so you can make sure the issue that 'soft-bricks' will not occur. (soft-brick meaning it can be fixed but it will be a hassle requiring shipping). if you'd like to update your bootloader, download and install the 4.1.4 firmware for 7SEG/numeric first (link here: https://synthstrom.com/product/deluge/#downloads) and then follow these instructions carefully (read fully before attempting): https://github.com/SynthstromAudible/DelugeFirmware/wiki/Bootloader-precautions-for-"numeric"-Deluge-developers

keep in mind, this risk has **always **been present with your Deluge when you've updated official firmware, but Synthstrom has always provided a proper file of the right size to it's users. when dealing with lots of different .bin files as a tester or developer in open source development, it's safer for those people to update their bootloader since they will constantly update and not check as often. you don't HAVE to update your 7seg bootloader to try out the community firmware, but if you want to eliminate the risk forever, update the bootloader.

Post edited by reza on
Β«1