Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

MIDI controller note toggle double-tap on and off press twice issue / problem

pitchblenderpitchblender Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 28

Hello all, this has been a big issue for ages for me generally, and I do not want to stick a computer or Blokas MIDIhub, Bomebox, RK-006 etc between controllers and Deluge as MIDI filters (adding more latency, cost, wiring, power, faffing) just to fix this common problem. Apologies if this has been resolved and I missed it, or I'm missing something obvious...

I just got my Deluge back from repair (many thanks Synthprof!) and re-learning its power, but I've rediscovered a common issue when I've tried to set up MIDI controllers with other synths, and that's the 'double-tap' problem:

When a controller's button/pad is set to toggle on/off as a MIDI note, it sends value 127 when on/lit and a 0 (zero) value when pressed again. If a button/pad is in momentary mode it ends a note value 127 when pressed and 0 when released.

The problem is that in momentary mode the controller LED is on whilst pressed and off when released (as expected) so is useless for reflecting the toggle state of the chosen pad on the Deluge, and yet the Deluge only responds (channel mute on/off) when the controller button/key in toggle mode is pressed TWICE (double-tapped)!

So unless you're a Zombieland fan (Rule Number 2 heh) it's not great, especially if playing live and need reliable visual feedback on functions that are not in front of you as you're on a different clip/song screen on the Deluge.

It's a common issue due to the destination expecting 2x MIDI notes from one button press; 127 for key press and 0 for release. This does not allow the controller key to toggle its state with its on-board LEDs, so we're left with controllers that are fully able to toggle LEDs but cannot unless each button is double-tapped to send the 2x MIDI note values...

I've had this with many controllers, and tested the Deluge with a few. All had the same results. I remember a while back searching the www for ages trying to find this issue and how to resolve it (no success), and hopefully this post will at least help some folk to find this post and understand the problem without wasting as much time as I have, and others to maybe address it, or even resolve it.

Phew, and by the way the Deluge is still a tiny marvel, I've read some of the community update features and am looking forward to the next update :smiley:

Cheers!

p.s. I am aware of the Deluge's lack of MIDI LED feedback, which would also be of great help in making the Deluge a mothership hub for a studio, and would also resolve this problem, but I've no idea if anyone's currently addressing this either sorry.

Comments

UPDATE: Just got a DJTechTools MIDI Fighter Twister but it's doing the same thing when learned to a mute button on Deluge song page - latch mode on Twister encoder switch toggles Deluge mutes/unmutes only when pressed 2x and subsequently the Twister's toggle on/off LEDs do not reflect mute state on Deluge.

UPDATE TO UPDATE: Just for the record - I tried using a Korg nanoKontrol 2 with the same aim of fader mixing 8x tracks plus toggling mutes etc. on the Deluge...
    SAME PROBLEM!! When the nanoKontrol button is assigned 'toggle' mode and a MIDI note (using the Korg Kontrol editor), the Deluge recognises and responds, but the nanoKontrol button LED toggles on/off every button-press whilst the Deluge toggles its mute every second tap of the same button, so they don't correlate :(

I feel like I'm overlooking something simple but even on some YouTube videos I see MIDI controllers used but often when a button is pressed on controllers it doesn't light up and the user has just learned to live with it... oh well