Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

16 Levels - Drum Keyboard View

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 611
edited July 2023 in Open Source

Merged with Community Firmware!

This feature's implementation started with @Alter
GitHub Documentation | Documentation #2

16 Levels - Drum Keyboard View
An all-new use for the "Keyboard" button in Kit clips. Uses the main pad grid for MPC-style 16 level (velocity) playing. Can experiment with modulating parameters by Velocity to achieve alternative results. Horizontal encoder scrolls by one 4x4 pad grid at a time, allowing positioning drums left to right, and vertical encoder jumps vertically by rows.

Discuss this feature, provide video/audio examples, etc.

Post edited by reza on

Comments

jonesy101jonesy101 lodonPosts: 16

its hard to get the notes to trigger responsively when using note repeat...am i missing something?

i'm assuming note repeat is having an arp set to 1 octave?

currently, you can't hold a pad on a given 4x4 grid and press another pad on the same grid. the second press won't trigger. that's probably the issue. would be really nice to have that work but i think there's some complexities with implementing it which is why it still behaves that way.

manysoundsmanysounds The GunksBeta Tester Posts: 43
    edited August 2023

A useful expansion of this function would be upon pressing the <> encoder and moving L/R it could make the pads change from 4x4 to 2x2 and maybe 1x1. Maybe 8x8 for fun? Maybe just leave it to the up/down encoder?
    Deciding what velocities would be present for a 2x2 pad I don't know, possibly another menu item -just to confuse things :) -but I would lean towards 127-100-73-55 mayyybe.
    Single pad kit full layout could be SUPER useful but with all velocities at 100, as that is what I believe is the standard MIDI "unity" velocity.

Post edited by manysounds on

@manysounds said:
    A useful expansion of this function would be upon pressing the <> encoder and moving L/R it could make the pads change from 4x4 to 2x2 and maybe 1x1. Maybe 8x8 for fun? Maybe just leave it to the up/down encoder?
    Deciding what velocities would be present for a 2x2 pad I don't know, possibly another menu item -just to confuse things :) -but I would lean towards 127-100-73-55 mayyybe.
    Single pad kit full layout could be SUPER useful but with all velocities at 100, as that is what I believe is the standard MIDI "unity" velocity.

this has actually been implemented! goes from 1x1 to 8x8, i believe via shift+<> adjusted size. currently 1x1 is velocity 127, but i think it would make sense to have it set to whatever your default midi velocity is set to in the deluge settings.

manysoundsmanysounds The GunksBeta Tester Posts: 43
    edited August 2023

@reza said:

@manysounds said:

this has actually been implemented! goes from 1x1 to 8x8, i believe via shift+<> adjusted size. currently 1x1 is velocity 127, but i think it would make sense to have it set to whatever your default midi velocity is set to in the deluge settings.

Ah! That is the best idea
    Amazing

Post edited by manysounds on
    PhilPhil MontréalBeta Tester Posts: 105

All kit sounds at reach in 1x1, loving it!

One obvious improvement imho that I have been wishing forever is the ability to jump from one kit sound to another while editing without leaving editing, e.g. setting reverse playback of one kit sound by shift or audition pad + reverse pad menu, set reverse, then hit a different sound and set reverse of this one right away, no need to press back, play another sound then shift again + reverse.
    Editing multiple kit sound takes forever The way it works now.

PhilPhil MontréalBeta Tester Posts: 105

Being able to edit sound in kit keyboard view could be handy too, and why not pad color!

edited August 2023

All kit sounds at reach in 1x1, loving it!

One obvious improvement imho that I have been wishing forever is the ability to jump from one kit sound to another while editing without leaving editing, e.g. setting reverse playback of one kit sound by shift or audition pad + reverse pad menu, set reverse, then hit a different sound and set reverse of this one right away, no need to press back, play another sound then shift again + reverse.
    Editing multiple kit sound takes forever The way it works now.

certain parameters, like setting reverse or sample mode, can be set for ALL samples at the same time by holding AFFECT ENTIRE while selecting the parameter type. whatever you last highlight while holding AFFECT ENTIRE will be applied to every other row.

also, when editing many kit rows and not wanting to hit back, i tend to hit mute (second column from right) which exits out of almost all menus in the deluge and i find way faster than back a lot of the times.

you can edit sounds in kit keyboard view based on what last sample was hit, then shift+shortcut or entering the menus.

i don't think individual pad color shifting is possible but all pads can be shifted ala regular keyboard view via shift+vertical encoder

Post edited by reza on
    alexbugaalexbuga Bucharest, RomaniaBeta Tester Posts: 15

I don't think it's necessarily a bug, but if I'm setting a pad to Polyphonic, and I have a ride cymbal, when I trigger it multiple times it rings out multiple times, it doesn't cut.

But whit the new pad mode, if I do this with various velocity levels it restarts the sample every time.

I wish I could play cymbal or hihat fills without cutting each other.

@alexbuga said:
    I don't think it's necessarily a bug, but if I'm setting a pad to Polyphonic, and I have a ride cymbal, when I trigger it multiple times it rings out multiple times, it doesn't cut.

But whit the new pad mode, if I do this with various velocity levels it restarts the sample every time.

that does seem to be a bug since your expected behavior used to work. i'll make a report about it!

alexbugaalexbuga Bucharest, RomaniaBeta Tester Posts: 15

Super! Thanks

MozartVonRobotMozartVonRobot SwedenPosts: 25

@reza said:

Wait, am I understanding this correctly, that there will finally be a way to have 128 sample triggers at my finger tips? The thing I expected to be possible when I bought my Deluge, that I have been waiting all this time to see in a firmware update? Am I finally going to actually be using my Deluge without rage quitting because the keyboard button mocks me every time I try to use it in a kit? Is the Deluge about to actually become fun to use for sampling and chopping and finger drumming? I hate having to scroll through one vertical column of eight pads when there's a beautiful grid of 128 pads just sitting there, waiting to be implemented. If those days are finally about to be over, my Deluge might just go from collecting dust to being one of my favorite instruments. Especially if you can record samples directly into the grid, edit them on the fly, and set choke groups. That'd be a game changer.

@MozartVonRobot said:

@reza said:

Wait, am I understanding this correctly, that there will finally be a way to have 128 sample triggers at my finger tips? The thing I expected to be possible when I bought my Deluge, that I have been waiting all this time to see in a firmware update? Am I finally going to actually be using my Deluge without rage quitting because the keyboard button mocks me every time I try to use it in a kit? Is the Deluge about to actually become fun to use for sampling and chopping and finger drumming? I hate having to scroll through one vertical column of eight pads when there's a beautiful grid of 128 pads just sitting there, waiting to be implemented. If those days are finally about to be over, my Deluge might just go from collecting dust to being one of my favorite instruments. Especially if you can record samples directly into the grid, edit them on the fly, and set choke groups. That'd be a game changer.

this is in fact possible now. i don't think there's support for recording in new rows nor rearranging the pad grids in drum view though.

@reza said:
    this is in fact possible now. i don't think there's support for recording in new rows nor rearranging the pad grids in drum view though.

Oh well, as long as I can play 128 samples on the grid, that's a huge improvement. If it evolves over time, great, but just having a 8x16 sample grid to play with is something I'm super hyped about. Editing it on the column is an acceptable compromise for such a big upgrade. Definitely going to keep an eye out for whenever the file drops. I assume it will drop in this forum?

@MozartVonRobot said:
    Oh well, as long as I can play 128 samples on the grid, that's a huge improvement. If it evolves over time, great, but just having a 8x16 sample grid to play with is something I'm super hyped about. Editing it on the column is an acceptable compromise for such a big upgrade. Definitely going to keep an eye out for whenever the file drops. I assume it will drop in this forum?

this firmware is available for testing now if you are willing to. more information can be found here: https://github.com/SynthstromAudible/DelugeFirmware/wiki#downloading-community-firmware

please back up your SD card and double check your bootloader version (explained on the same link) prior to updating the firmware.

@reza said:
    this firmware is available for testing now if you are willing to. more information can be found here: https://github.com/SynthstromAudible/DelugeFirmware/wiki#downloading-community-firmware

please back up your SD card and double check your bootloader version (explained on the same link) prior to updating the firmware.

Reading up on the bootloader situation, this part...

"Now, make sure you’re on firmware version 4.1.3 or later - older firmware versions didn’t have this feature to update the bootloader. If your Deluge is a “numeric” one (which it should be if you’re following this guide), then such a firmware version is not yet available - but you can use V4.1.4-beta, which will be shared shortly. So, update to that before carrying on."

I seem to have the high risk bootloader. Am I understanding correctly that I can't update the bootloader because I can't update the firmware to one that can let me update the bootloader, because I don't have the OLED version and the 4.1.4 firmware beta that's supposed to support the numeric version isn't out yet? So basically I have to wait for the beta before I can update the bootloader before I can update to the nightly build? Is that right?

edited October 2023

@MozartVonRobot said:
    I seem to have the high risk bootloader. Am I understanding correctly that I can't update the bootloader because I can't update the firmware to one that can let me update the bootloader, because I don't have the OLED version and the 4.1.4 firmware beta that's supposed to support the numeric version isn't out yet? So basically I have to wait for the beta before I can update the bootloader before I can update to the nightly build? Is that right?

You can update to new community firmware but with the risk that if the .bin file happens to be 0bytes or over 3.5kbMB you could cause a nasty issue with your Deluge that would involve sending it to NZ to be fixed. When you download the file you can double check the size to be sure, but this is more an issue that a developer would run into since they would frequently updating .bin files when working and may not always check the filesizes.

But you are correct that you would need the official 4.1.4 beta before updating the bootloader if you'd like to rid yourself of that risk. If you'd like to sign up to have official beta firmware available to you, follow these instructions:
    https://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/3443/how-to-be-involved-in-beta-testing#latest

Post edited by reza on

@alexbuga said:

hey @alexbuga, it seems like this is actually working properly, double check with the latest nightly community firmware. if you find that things are still cutting off each other, double check that sample mode is set to ONCE and polyphony is set to POLYPHONIC again, these values can be reset if you load a sample in the same kit row again

@reza said:
    You can update to new community firmware but with the risk that if the .bin file happens to be 0bytes or over 3.5kb you could cause a nasty issue with your Deluge that would involve sending it to NZ to be fixed. When you download the file you can double check the size to be sure, but this is more an issue that a developer would run into since they would frequently updating .bin files when working and may not always check the filesizes.

But you are correct that you would need the official 4.1.4 beta before updating the bootloader if you'd like to rid yourself of that risk. If you'd like to sign up to have official beta firmware available to you, follow these instructions:
    https://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/3443/how-to-be-involved-in-beta-testing#latest

Oh, thanks for the clarification! But did you mean to say MB? That's what the page said. 3.4kb is definitely a lot smaller than the file is. It's 1279kb.

@MozartVonRobot said:
    Oh, thanks for the clarification! But did you mean to say MB? That's what the page said. 3.4kb is definitely a lot smaller than the file is. It's 1279kb.

my mistake, yes i meant to say 3.5mb!

@reza said:
    my mistake, yes i meant to say 3.5mb!

I took the plunge and updated to the nightly build. I can now lay out a whole folder of samples and play them without scrolling. That makes me excited to actually use the Deluge for the first time since I bought it and discovered I couldn't do this. It even lets me change the levels, play modes and envelopes of individual samples within keyboard mode. Can't wait to dig deeper tonight and do some sampling with it. This could be the birth of a beautiful new work flow. I am in awe of the open source wizards and forever grateful for the magic that they do. I'm gonna have to look into the "lazy chop" feature as well.