Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

copy-paste issues

EdREdR Dallas TX USAPosts: 51

Anyone got any usable ways to copy 29 or 30 bars from the beginning of a song to near the end? I've tried putting all the bars I want to copy in view, then copying, and then moving to where I need to paste, and pasting, but it will always leave an empty bar in between the existing and pasted bars, or it will paste in at the wrong speed, or both. What am I doing wrong?
Also, is there a way to just tell a clip to go from bar 99 to bar 26 , for example?

Comments

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 611

hey @EdR, the way copying and pasting works is based on the current song position and zoom level. for those reasons, it's advantageous to copy bars based off multiples of 4 so you can copy and paste without any gaps.
    if you copy at 4 bar zoom level and zoom in to 1 bar and paste, then the same amount of notes across 4 bars will shrink to fit into 1 bar.

i would suggest copying 32 bars as it shouldn't cause gaps. you can also shift ALL notes in a given clip by holding up/down encoder and turning left/right. notes will warp around the clip.

you can't tell a clip to switch to different sections durign playback like you asked, perhaps you could be using shorter clip lengths with multiple clips that you can string along in SONG or ARRANGER view?

I tried moving the notes into the blank bar, but it never put anything in the blank bar, just moved the notes I could see to the left.

I think I have a way to make things a little easier though - instead of inputting things linearly, I'm going to input the different sections into separate clips in the same song and see if I can just copy paste from there. This means I get to plan it all on paper but hey, I needed a distraction anyway;)
    Thanks for the response, Reza!

i think that's getting to the right idea. you can even use the arranger mode to string different sections together so you don't have to make a master clip with the accumulation of all the parts pasted into it.

for the nudging notes left/right, it moves ALL the notes in a given clip left or right, so if you have gaps you won't see notes, meanwhile the the notes that exited the screen will continue moving in that direction, it wraps around so if you move notes from bar 1 one bar to the left, and you have 32 bars, you'll see the bar 1 notes now in bar 32 and the bar 32 notes now in bar 31, etc.

I am currently trying to copy/paste the first 25 of the 100 measures or so of what I've already input from one clip to the next within the same song, and for some reason, I can't use the same synth on this clip as I could on the first one, it's gone from the lst.

This isn' as intuitive as I thought it was, but it's still better than nothing.
    I really need to take a look at the note data and how it's stored in the song file, maybe I can copy/paste at that level...

edited August 2023

if you want two of the same presets to play simultaneously, you'll need to save the preset (if it isn't already) then clone it.

the reason the synth preset isn't on the list is because it already exists once in your song.

if they won't be played simultaneously, then you'll just make another iteration of the clip by, in SONG view, press and holding anywhere on the clip row, pressing above or below that clip row to create a duplicate clip in which you can edit the sequence and have the same synth preset.

Post edited by reza on

I think this works, what I'd been doing before is creating a new clip in a song, instead of using the above method to clone it.
    I really want to get to where i can use arranger mode to play clips in the order i want them played, so i can do intro, verse, chorus, break, bridge, verse/chorus, bridge break outro. would save me a ton of input.

you'll get there in no time!

this series seems to be great at demonstrating/teaching features on the deluge, here's one on the arranger view:

Spoke too soon. I had 100 bars input in, and cloned a clip, entered clip mode for that clone, set the length to 25, and saved. lost 75 bars in the original clip. i am not a happy camper, i will likely never know what i did wrong.
    but, i guess i can input the clips the way i broke them down now. problem is they are all different lengths.

I can't get the arranger view to work like he is using it in the video, probably because all my clips use the same synth. i have managed to recird clips onto arranger from song mode , but there's a problem...

i have th verse/chorus in one clip, and the end of verse one and the end of verse 2 in seperate clips. i can play the whole verse-chorus clip, followed by the end verse1 clip just fine.but every time I try to follow the verse/chorus clip with the end of verse 2 clip, the verse/chorus clip switches to the end verse 2 clip after only a few bars. i bet it's something I did wrong but i have no clue. you have any ideas?