Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

for people with two machines, one with OLED & one with LED, getting 'CARD' message

duncandisorderlyduncandisorderly london/madridPosts: 19

cross-posting this here- I found I couldn't load anything I made on the OLED machine onto my newly acquired 2nd machine, which I want to use while it's in the queue for a new display.

SOLVED- but needs confirming as a workable solution by the devs..

thinking for a while that I might have to re-save all my songs on the OLED machine with the 'gather samples' box ticked, I remembered that some of the synths wouldn't load either- the ones with multisamples. no way to set up the same save-with mechanism for these.
in any case, this didn't work.

so I opened the xml in a text editor from one of the OLED songs, & compared it with one saved on the LED machine.
the first two lines you see in any of the song or synth (& presumably kit too) xml files are:

firmwareVersion="4.1.3"
earliestCompatibleFirmware="4.1.0-alpha"

for the OLED machine, &

firmwareVersion="4.0.1"
earliestCompatibleFirmware="4.0.0"

in the LED machine.

I replaced the former with the latter in the xml files I wanted to load in the LED machine & it worked.
now my OLED songs & multisample synths load on the LED machine & play fine.
it's going to be laborious to change loads of them- maybe someone will write a script to automate it!

Comments

also, something that definitely happened to me while I was moving stuff around between three cards using the card reader that hangs out the front of my imac because I can't face reaching around the back of it every five minutes....

I started to get card errors on a known good card from which stuff was quite happily loading. I just couldn't save anything new.

ah, you're way ahead of me.... in the process of turning the card over to go into the slot on the reader, which is a little narrow, that darn slider was getting moved into 'protect'.
    the reader I've been using ignores this slider, it emerges.

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 611

i think this will be fixed with the upcoming 4.1.4 where projects from OLED can be opened on a 7SEG

PaulFreundPaulFreund GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 11

Hi :)

So earliestCompatibleFirmware and firmwareVersion tags are guard clauses that are intended to protect you from undefined behavior. It means the newer firmware that created the files might write newer/different things to the file the older firmware might not understand. If you ask to get beta access you can test the new 7SEG firmware which should be compatible with your OLED files.

PS: I ran into the accidential SD lock problem before and it took me forever to figure out, happy you noticed!

thanks, Paul- I figured that it would be deliberate, but wasn't sure what nuances of the 'OLED' projects would cause problems in the non-OLED machine; I was under the impression that even the file names wouldn't be an issue, & I haven't run into any problems with my workaround so far.
    I'm aware that backwards compatibility wasn't thought to be an issue; how many people are exchanging projects from an OLED back to a non-OLED machine? maybe there aren't that many people with two machines, sure, but there definitely are people trading project files. hopefully the workaround will be useful to them until the beta is release-ready.