Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Additional Sync Modes

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 611
edited July 2023 in Open Source

Merged with Community Firmware!

This feature's implementation started with @phfalk.
GitHub Documentation

Added two new SYNC types

1. Triplets: Synchronizes to triplet (3/2) divisions.
  2. Dotted: Synchronizes to "dotted" (2/3) divisions.

The 9 original SYNC modes each received the above variants meaning the following have both -Triplets (-TPLTS) and -Dotted (-DTTED) modes (an additional 18 SYNC options):

2-BAR, 1-BAR, 2ND-NOTES,
4TH-NOTES, 8TH-NOTES, 16TH-NOTES,
32ND-NOTES, 64TH-NOTES, 128TH-NOTES
(These values shift depending on the Resolution settings the Deluge is currently set to)

Discuss this feature, provide video/audio examples, etc.

Post edited by reza on

Comments

AbortRetryFailAbortRetryFail FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 61

First off, thank you so much! I've wanted this for years.

One thing that might be worth changing is the order them in the menu. Right now they are sorted by the first 9 powers of 2, then the triplets, then the dotted. It might be more intuitive to sort them by their frequnecy.

@AbortRetryFail said:
    First off, thank you so much! I've wanted this for years.

One thing that might be worth changing is the order them in the menu. Right now they are sorted by the first 9 powers of 2, then the triplets, then the dotted. It might be more intuitive to sort them by their frequnecy.

I'm just a messenger, a couple other folks worked on getting this feature working!

Re: order. I suggested the same thing, I believe I was told that reordering like that would introduce compatibility issues with previous firmware or previous song files since the value is tied to the order? A possible solution could be if a feature is added to hold SHIFT while scrolling, so then it locks to that rate and only adjusts the timing type.

AbortRetryFailAbortRetryFail FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 61

Well, thanks to everyone who worked on it then!

It'd complicate the UI code a bit, but it aught to be possible to have some kind of lookup table to sort them in the menu differently without changing the XML values for syncLevel. I'll have to take a look...

JonathdelJonathdel FrancePosts: 12

Hello, thank you I was going to ask for this function because 4/4 sync is somewhat limited and boring... I just don't understand what do you mean when you say

(These values shift depending on the Resolution settings the Deluge is currently set to)

I don't understand in what the resolution change something, aren't those sync options values time resolutions in themselves ?

Hope it was clear tough.

in settings > defaults > resolution > you can choose a variety of song-level resolutions, this indicates how many ticks between, say, two 16th notes when nudging. when the resolution is changed from the default 384 value, the sync options will shift because it may not support divisions that far. at a resolution of 92, the slowest sync options change from 2bars to 8bars.

BreadBread AustraliaPosts: 2

Hey Reza is there any chance we could get sync modes for 4, 8 and 16 bars? I tried adjusting the default resolution but it didn't appear to change the synced LFO rate at all. I'm using the latest official firmware and tried restarting after adjusting the resolution.

Thanks,
    Brad

i think i know the issue @Bread . the changes won't be reflected on your current song, you'll have to create a new song to see the change. even if you save the song after changing the default resolution, it's already set to the original resolution when the song was first made. there may be a workaround by changing the resolution in the XML file, but i'm not sure if it's one value that needs to be changed or multiple throughout the XML file.

as for having a larger spread of SYNC values, I would recommend creating a discussion on the GitHub about your request where it's more likely to be discussed and considered: https://github.com/SynthstromAudible/DelugeFirmware/discussions

BreadBread AustraliaPosts: 2

Will do thanks!