Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

No clock when starting playback via USB Midi?

Hello,

I posted this comment in what looked like a similar thread. It's marked as 'answered', but the info there was not helpful for my situation. Hopefully it's okay to add it here again for the possibility of some additional info/escalation. I've also attempted to edit it a bit for clarity.

I have a USB Hub attached to my deluge, and a foot controller attached to the hub setup to send a midi note which is learned as the 'Play' function in the deluge global settings. I've also attached an external midi device (tried several different ones) to the USB Hub.

I can hit the 'Play' button on my Deluge directly, which starts the Deluge sequencer running, and sends a start AND clock via MIDI over USB which triggers the external device to start its clock, etc.

If I use the USB midi foot control to trigger the 'Play' command it will start/stop the Deluge as expected. It seems to also send a start message via MIDI over USB, however it never sends a clock (or at least not more than one pulse, hard to tell) like it does if I use the Play button on the Deluge.

I've tested this with multiple USB midi devices and get the same result. Both an Expert Sleepers FH-2 and a USB keyboard with a sequencer. If anyone has encountered this before and/or has a workaround, I'd definitely be interested in hearing it.

Thanks.

Answers

nigelnigel BelgiumPosts: 12

Could be a stupid idea but maybe you have to use the midi learn function so the Deluge knows what to expect from the midi trigger?

rstackrstack Posts: 4

Hello - thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, I’ve done that already. The Deluge starting isn’t the issue, it’s that the other devices on the hub don’t start/stop correctly when the deluge is triggered externally. The external trigger starts/stops the deluge as expected (which wouldn’t happen without the midi learn).

The deluge will start/stop the external devices with its play button. But the external devices will not start/stop correctly if the deluge is triggered externally. Seems like that should work the same in either case.

eisingeising NorwayPosts: 1

I'm having this issue as well, but in a slightly different way. Here's how to reproduce my issue:

Setup: Deluge connected to PC via USB, connected to clock input of external eurorack synthesizer via Gate 4.
    Settings: Midi clock in enabled, TClock Auto In is On, Gate 4 output is clock (4PPQN)

Observed behavior: When starting the clock from within my Daw (ableton), all samples and midi tracks play correctly, but Gate 4 is not outputting any clock.

It is possible to do a workaround here with a manual kit track that outputs to the gate at the same intervals as my clock, but that's not a real fix, in my opinion.

rstackrstack Posts: 4

I haven’t tried to do the same with a clock out yet. I’ll try to test that and see if I have the same issue there as well.

auxoctauxoct United StatesPosts: 14

I am having the exact same issue. When I press play on the Deluge, I get a strong clock from GATE 4. When I play it from an external source such as a DAW, no clock. This is annoying because I I need the Deluge to pass a clock to my modular gear for both recording and live performance. I would love an update on this.

hoprockerhoprocker californiaPosts: 5

Same issue in my setup, glad to hear I'm not the only one. I have TS cables connecting run/clock from my Deluge to my rack (Pam's New Workout in this case), and USB from my DAW to the Deluge. When I hit "play" on the Deluge, it starts the rack and sets the clock in my rack. When I start recording from my DAW, however, it:

1) starts the Deluge playing,
    2) syncs the Deluge's clock (the "synced" light illuminates and turning the tempo knob doesn't do anything),
    3) starts my eurorack setup playing, BUT
    4) does NOT forward the clock from the DAW/Deluge through to the eurorack setup.

The Deluge is such a versatile instrument, and I feel so spoiled that every time I set it up to do something, it does exactly what I'm expecting, so I'm surprised to have hit this (likely) bug. (I'm on FW 4.0.0 btw.)

Fwiw, I see the same issue when syncing through the MIDI ports on the Deluge using an external USB/MIDI adapter (CuBit Duo in this case), so it's probably a general issue with MIDI->gate clock and not something to do with the USB specifically.

@auxoct said:
    I am having the exact same issue. When I press play on the Deluge, I get a strong clock from GATE 4. When I play it from an external source such as a DAW, no clock. This is annoying because I I need the Deluge to pass a clock to my modular gear for both recording and live performance. I would love an update on this.

poldensteinpoldenstein italyBeta Tester Posts: 43

Same, no cv clock when slaved to external midi

Ah! I'm not alone! Same problem here...

FYI - After much googling I thought that the answer might be to start the Deluge using its clock in rather than via midi...... but still it's not sending clock out... :(