Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge and Expressive-e Osmose

drbourbondrbourbon ItalyBeta Tester Posts: 55

Starting this to share experiences about Deluge and Osmose together.

Got my Osmose last night and immediately connected to Deluge :smile:

As an MPE controller for Deluge synth Osmose works beautifully, giving new life to that slowly evolving Boards of Deluge patches with polyphonic pitch bending and pressure.

Here’s my setup just in case:

• MIDI DIN out to in and in to out
  • Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> Din -> MPE -> Out -> Lower -> 14
  • Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> Din -> MPE -> Out -> Upper -> OFF
  • Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> Din -> MPE -> IN -> Lower -> 14
  • Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> Din -> MPE -> IN -> Upper -> OFF
  • Add Audio track, stereo in, monitoring on
  • Add MIDI track, set channel to LOWER
Post edited by drbourbon on
Tagged:

Comments

miziodelmiziodel italyPosts: 6

I received my osmose too a few days ago.. thanks for sharing your setup! :)

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

Staying tuned :)

BrakBrak FrancePosts: 2
    edited February 2023

Hello any updates on this?

I am quite beginner with the Deluge.I have tried using it with osmose using USB MIDI

Controlling the Deluge from osmose works quite well with following setup:

• Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> Osmose -> MPE -> IN -> Lower -> 15 (with 14 some notes were not playing)
    • Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> Osmose -> MPE -> IN -> Upper -> 0

On Osmose it seem that is is better to use usb haken mode disabled:

• Osmose Global Setting -> midi i/o -> usb haken mode -> 3/3 disabled
      When using haken mode, sensitivity was sometimes really too much (but you can try... it was not looking the same every time when enabling it and disabling it several times)

However if I try to do a midi track, I am able to record the Osmose but I am unable to make it playback even if I set

• Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> Osmose -> MPE -> OUT -> Lower -> 15
    • Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> Osmose -> MPE -> OUT -> Upper -> 0
      and select MPE ZONE Lower as output.

I have also tried different setting on the Osmose and on the Deluge, but no result.
    The Deluge has even crashed several times: many times it was stuck and I had to power it off, or one time I had error message asking me for saving and the restarting the device. (maybe it was when usb haken mode was enabled, not sure)

Any feedback or advices would be welcome ;)

Post edited by Brak on

This post in the official Expressive-e knowledge base should help setting up the Deluge in order to play-back the Osmose: https://expressivee.happyfox.com/kb/article/262-triggering-the-eaganmatrix-from-an-external-device/

@Brak I'm afraid USB MIDI won't work since on the Deluge you can't differentiate which USB MIDI device to use (only one is detected as "Osmose" if I remember correctly), and the Osmose requires to receive from the FIRST USB MIDI device and to send to the second one.

I've managed to let MIDI playback work from Deluge to the Osmose with MIDI DIN, but quite often notes are skipped or sound differently from when played on the Osmose while recording.

BrakBrak FrancePosts: 2

@drbourbon Thank you for the advise. I am going to check it.

In the mean time since I was suspecting issue with usb midi output I have also tried to connect output with MIDI DIN, and after making some tests to tune the settings I got the following setup that works quite well:

• Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> Osmose -> MPE -> IN -> Lower -> 15 (with 14 some notes were not playing)
    • Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> Osmose -> MPE -> IN -> Upper -> 0
    • Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> Osmose -> MPE -> OUT -> Lower -> 0
    • Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> Osmose -> MPE -> OUT -> Upper -> 0
    • Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> DIN -> MPE -> IN -> Lower -> 0
    • Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> DIN -> MPE -> IN -> Upper -> 0
    • Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> DIN -> MPE -> OUT -> Lower -> 13 (with higher value I noticed some glitches but maybe it is not the optimal value)
    • Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> DIN -> MPE -> OUT -> Upper -> 0
    • Osmose Global Setting -> midi i/o -> ext clock source 3/3 din
    • Osmose Global Setting -> midi i/o -> usb haken mode 3/3 disabled
    • Osmose Global Setting -> midi i/o -> haken local control on
    • Osmose Global Setting -> midi i/o -> DIN mode -> 2/5 dsp in or 4/5 dsp in+thru
    • Midi clip listening to Osmose and output set to MPE ZONE Lower

With that setup the playback is not always perfect (some small variations may happen), but I find it quite faithful to the original.

The crashes I got seems to occur even with DIN and when playing+recording MPE and changing the MPE parameters too much and/or changing midi output of the clip while it is playin. I will try to identify reproducible steps to make a bug report, but when recording and playing back at the same time MPE Deluge does not look really stable : I also got a crash at some point by pressing the up/down rotary and turning it (transpose). But was not able to reproduce it a second time...

Hi @Brak thanks for sharing. I've tried a similar setup that seems pretty accurate, stable and consistent with the instructions by Expressive-e. Here are the differences.

• Osmose MIDI Setting -> last MPE channel 14 (as from instructions)
    • Deluge Settings -> MIDI -> Devices -> Osmose -> MPE -> IN -> Lower -> 13 (corresponds to 14 on the Osmose)
    • Osmose Global Setting -> midi i/o -> haken local control off (this is important to avoid MIDI note doubling during playback)
    • Deluge Settings -> Recording -> Quantization -> Off
    alifeinbinaryalifeinbinary Vancouver, CanadaBeta Tester Posts: 19

Just received my Osmose from Expressive-E and discovered that the Osmose requires this hack solution you guys have put together in order to make it work well with the Deluge. This is a hefty compromise to get roundtrip functionality between the two devices, especially when there's other pieces of kit in the loop.

Perhaps port specificity selection within the Settings=>MIDI=>Devices menu is a feature worth bringing to Rohan and Synthstrom for the official firmware or do you think it is too niche and better suited for the community fork of the firmware?

In the meantime I've found a better workaround. Get a Roland UM-ONE or something similar and connect it to the Osmose DIN ports and the other end to the USB host on the Deluge. This allows the Deluge to see the Osmose as a single device on a single port. You'll need to power the Deluge from a dedicated power supply for this to work.

Deluge settings:
    In Settings->MIDI-Differentiate inputs = Yes
    In Settings->MIDI->Devices->UM-ONE->MPE:
    In->Lower=13, In->Upper=0
    Out->Lower=13, In->Upper=0
    Channels 14 and 15 should be reserved for communication with the Haken editor

Osmose settings:
    Global config menu->midi/io:
    ext clock source = din
    usb haken mode = note & matrix
    haken local control = on
    din mode = dsp in

Hope this helps someone

@alifeinbinary said:
    In the meantime I've found a better workaround. Get a Roland UM-ONE or something similar and connect it to the Osmose DIN ports and the other end to the USB host on the Deluge. This allows the Deluge to see the Osmose as a single device on a single port. You'll need to power the Deluge from a dedicated power supply for this to work.

That’s brilliant! Will try and report back (expecially on note drops happening with midi to midi)

edited October 2023

@drbourbon upon further testing, I've had better performance after setting the value to
    MIDI > Devices > UM-ONE > MPE > In > Lower = 14
    MIDI > Devices > UM-ONE > MPE > In > Upper = 0
    MIDI > Devices > UM-ONE > MPE > Out > Lower = 13
    MIDI > Devices > UM-ONE > MPE > Out > Upper = 0

Make sure you have MIDI > Devices > DIN PORTS > MPE In[Lower, Upper] & Out[Lower, Upper] = 0
    or else you'll get MPE will be sent to any devices connected to the DIN ports.

I've also noticed that any MIDI mappings learned prior to the Differentiate Inputs feature was implemented need to be relearned within each song to prevent cross-talk between the MPE channels and the Osmose hosted via USB.

Post edited by alifeinbinary on
    mr_arevmr_arev maltaBeta Tester Posts: 2

Does anyone have the correct answer to this question? How can I work with the Osmose as both a keyboard controller (local off) and a sound module alongside the Deluge. None of the suggestions made in this thread work for me. I have tried every possible combination I could come up with; with 5pin, usb, a combination, directly into the device, through the mac "midi patchbay". I am always using the latest opensource firmware.

I am able to get the osmose to be a controller keyboard controlling the deluge sound engine and it is fantastic. There is truly no going back from using mpe to reveal the true power of the deluge sound engine. But I can't get the midi from the osmose (local off) to go into the deluge and back to the osmose synth engine correctly. I am getting all kinds of varied results but nothing that is the same as playing the osmose locally.

DaHannesDaHannes GermanyPosts: 1

@mr_arev said:
    Does anyone have the correct answer to this question? How can I work with the Osmose as both a keyboard controller (local off) and a sound module alongside the Deluge. None of the suggestions made in this thread work for me. I have tried every possible combination I could come up with; with 5pin, usb, a combination, directly into the device, through the mac "midi patchbay". I am always using the latest opensource firmware.

I am able to get the osmose to be a controller keyboard controlling the deluge sound engine and it is fantastic. There is truly no going back from using mpe to reveal the true power of the deluge sound engine. But I can't get the midi from the osmose (local off) to go into the deluge and back to the osmose synth engine correctly. I am getting all kinds of varied results but nothing that is the same as playing the osmose locally.

I was playing around with my Osmose and Deluge today and finally found a setting that works for me:
    Firmware: latest nightly from community firmware (I don't think that makes any difference right now)
    Deluge: MPE-IN and OUT: Lower - ch15, Upper - off
    Connected via USB (through iPad)
    For recording I use Osmose1 to Deluge, for playing I use Deluge to Osmose2