โ€บ
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Accidentally saved over a song. It changed how I name songs.

SynthStudioSynthStudio Fort Collins, ColoradoPosts: 31

I was starting a series of LO-FI songs to work on with a friend. I had named the first two songs "LOFI 1" and "LOFI 2".

As you all know, the Deluge automatically appends numerical incrementations to the song name when you "SAVE". (I wish this could be disabled, but hey-ho.)

So I had my "LOFI 1" song loaded, hit "SAVE", and it prompted to save as "LOFI 3" (presumably because there was already a "LOFI 2" song.)

...problem is... I'm so used to the hand-motion to use the dial to select the original song and over-write it, that I did this and it selected my "LOFI 2" song instead of "LOFI 1", and over-wrote the wrong song when I did that.

Now, this was obviously user-error. Deluge is just working exactly how it's been programmed to. But since it's so common for people to name files sequentially like I did ("Song 1", "Song 2", etc), I think this might not have been the best default behavior for the Deluge.

To offer an alternative method... instead of automatically attempting to save another VERSION of the same song as a new file, maybe it should offer two options [SAVE] or [SAVE AS] when "SAVE" is selected... that seems like a much more common and intuitive paradigm in the digital world.

NOW what I do, is I go to https://randomwordgenerator.com (no affiliation) and I generate two random words. I renamed ALL my songs this way. I'm liking the approach so far.

Post edited by SynthStudio on

Comments

encosionencosion London, UKBeta Tester Posts: 5

I like the current behaviour, but feel your pain!
    Love the random generator too... Often haven't decided on a name when I first save a new idea...

I tend to use dates yyyy.mm.dd name numerical iteration

AlterAlter TokyoPosts: 100

@SynthStudio said:
    and I generate two random words.

Polyend play has this random naming feature, which is a tiny trick, but fun.

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

@Alter said:

@SynthStudio said:

Now all you have to do is to remember your randomized trackname ;)

Angus_MAngus_M ThailandPosts: 2

I tend to name my tracks more descriptively to avoid this issue. Name it whatever is in your head at the time ๐Ÿ˜†

ryan_fmryan_fm Cleveland, OHPosts: 5

@djAzid said:

I just tried the link and the first two words that came up were "Offspring Protection", lmao.

Maybe a ChatGPT version to come up with something a bit more... song title-y would be better. I do find coming up with a name sooner than later helps, so I have the song title in my head while making the song, not after, which helps me make the association between the two.

edited June 2023

@Alter said:

@SynthStudio said:

Yesโ€”thatโ€™s where I got the idea from initially. I love my Tracker. (Edit: Tracker has this, too.)

Post edited by SynthStudio on

@djAzid said:

@Alter said:

@SynthStudio said:

Yeah, and that was a bit of a pain at first, but now itโ€™s settling into my brain : )

@Angus_M said:
    I tend to name my tracks more descriptively to avoid this issue. Name it whatever is in your head at the time ๐Ÿ˜†

That might get me in trouble, though ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜†