Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Stem separation for drum Kit sounds

SynthStudioSynthStudio Fort Collins, ColoradoPosts: 31

Hi team. I've noticed some of us are putting drum parts on separate tracks, presumably to gain easier mute/solo functionality and to further separate sounds for stem/export.

Is there any better way to do it than to literally just create more tracks? Seems a little janky to me, but I haven't tried it yet. Right now, I'm doing the quantized resampling for each track, with drums as 1 track.

Would love to hear your advice and/or experiences here.

Comments

SemtxSemtx AustriaPosts: 9

I always use synthpatches as drums i love drumsynthesizers 🥳
    Only use a kittrack for sidechaining fx and for drum break loops where i dont want to mute single sounds

@Semtx where are you getting your drum synth patches from?

SemtxSemtx AustriaPosts: 9

Sorry for delay
    Self made

AOpsycheAOpsyche United StatesPosts: 11
    edited April 2023

There are benefits and drawbacks to both organizations. One of the main benefits of separating drums into different kits is to allow for synced launching of each drum lane separately. If they are all in the same kit, then you cant queue the drums to launch separately. Say, for instance, you want the hats to come in on the next measure. If the hats are in a separate kit, then you can queue the hats to come in at the next sync point, but if they are on the same kit, you have to unmute the hats at the precise moment you want them to start playing.

Another counterintuitive benefit of this is that separating kits can actually save cpu power. To use the same example, if using a single kit and the hats are muted, they are still "playing" in terms of cpu. A second instance of the same kit doesnt increase the ram usage because the samples are just loaded once into ram. Any processing beyond the raw audio of the sample is post-processed. If you use a separate clip for the hats, you can fully stop this clip from playing, thus saving CPU when not playing the hats.

The primary benefit of keeping the drums in a single kit is for easier mixing and applying fx to the whole kit.

Post edited by AOpsyche on

@Semtx said:
    Sorry for delay
    Self made

Thanks!

@AOpsyche said:
    There are benefits and drawbacks to both organizations. One of the main benefits of separating drums into different kits is to allow for synced launching of each drum lane separately. If they are all in the same kit, then you cant queue the drums to launch separately. Say, for instance, you want the hats to come in on the next measure. If the hats are in a separate kit, then you can queue the hats to come in at the next sync point, but if they are on the same kit, you have to unmute the hats at the precise moment you want them to start playing.

Another counterintuitive benefit of this is that separating kits can actually save cpu power. To use the same example, if using a single kit and the hats are muted, they are still "playing" in terms of cpu. A second instance of the same kit doesnt increase the ram usage because the samples are just loaded once into ram. Any processing beyond the raw audio of the sample is post-processed. If you use a separate clip for the hats, you can fully stop this clip from playing, thus saving CPU when not playing the hats.

The primary benefit of keeping the drums in a single kit is for easier mixing and applying fx to the whole kit.

What a great overview. Thank you.

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

@AOpsyche said:
    if using a single kit and the hats are muted, they are still "playing" in terms of cpu. A second instance of the same kit doesnt increase the ram usage because the samples are just loaded once into ram. Any processing beyond the raw audio of the sample is post-processed. If you use a separate clip for the hats, you can fully stop this clip from playing, thus saving CPU when not playing the hats.

Don't forget that when you disable a clip instead of muting it, the sidechain is also disabled, which affects the sound it triggers. For such instances, you wanna make a ghost clip which triggers the sidechain all the time.
    When using multiple kicks in a seperate kit, disabling not all of them, also fixes this problem.

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121
    edited May 2023

What AOpsyche said!

Kits are good for instantaneous muting of samples, and really shouldn't be thought of as being only for drum samples, IMO.

Some people have longer drones or even entire stems that they like to pop in and out of a live performance. With a kit element, the Deluge lets you mute it, but keeps the sample "rolling" so that it keeps synched with other samples.

Post edited by hexagon5un on