Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Pops and cracks at sample start / end point

discxnnectdiscxnnect Frankfurt, GermanyPosts: 3

Hey guys,
I’m experiencing pop or crack sounds at the starts and ends of audio files I’m editing using the start and end points of the waveform view. Most likely this is due to me being not able to cut the waveform precisely at the „crossing zero“ point, which I would solve with tiny crossfades in a DAW.

Is there a way to solve this?

If not yet, maybe very short auto-crossfades (few millisecs) at the start and end points could be a feature request?

All the best

Comments

jensgjensg Berlin, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 297

Would be nice to have cross fades.

Would also be useful to have this on audio clips when recorded internally.

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

Usually zooming in and finding a better spot works fine.

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

@volsteh said:

I does and it doesnt. It tedious and hit n miss for me. A quick fade would solve this instantly.

Also, a "zero-crossing" snap function is a very common fix to help with this known problem for a long time in lots of other gear.

@volsteh said:

Of course, I tried that first of all, but I rarely achieve the desired result with it and only with a lot of luck. This is so unfortunate since it renders the otherwise very powerful sampling engine pretty useless sometimes, at least if you want to stay DAWless and don’t want to edit your sample in your software of choice first.

@jensg said:

@volsteh said:

I does and it doesnt. It tedious and hit n miss for me. A quick fade would solve this instantly.

Also, a "zero-crossing" snap function is a very common fix to help with this known problem for a long time in lots of other gear.

This would be an even better solution than the auto-crossfades I suggested above.

All the best

edited February 2023

Did you try setting attack to 1? This also helps. Works differently in audio clips and kits/synths tho. Audio clips seems to need more attack to get rid of the click, in kit works with 1.

Post edited by volsteh on

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

@volsteh said:
    Did you try setting attack to 1? This also helps. Works differently in audio clips and kits/synths tho. Audio clips seems to need more attack to get rid of the click, in kit works with 1.

I‘ve used this „trick“ with synths that crack on loop points if the LFO is not exactly at zero whilst looping, good idea to try it on audio tracks and samples as well! Unfortunately, most often I got the noise at the end points, where attack won’t help. I’ll give it a try today!

All the best

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

Normally I import such samples in an audioeditor, correct the dc offset and might cut a little off the beginning, if it looks out of position (doesn't start at 0). Just easier to see in an editor instead of the deluge.

@djAzid said:
    Normally I import such samples in an audioeditor, correct the dc offset and might cut a little off the beginning, if it looks out of position (doesn't start at 0). Just easier to see in an editor instead of the deluge.

I prefer to do all in the box (del) to get away from the computer, otherwise I could just use Ableton and have all the power possible in the audio world.

so a zero crossing snap in the del would fix this issue IMHO quite elegantly. dont know if this is possible to do or how hard it would be to implement this.

would also be nice to have this for looping segments. it just makes sense (for me at least).

My workflow doesn't need many sample cutting, if any at all (a trick I love to use is changing a kick start point fully zoomed in, to get different transient flavors), but can imagine how this is a pain if your workflow relies on this.

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

I use mostly samples. Lofi boom bap. This and a compressor are the biggest hindrances.

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

Well, if it's just 1 sample, you can still edit it on the machine. But for more I prever the comp. I have the drumkit pack from legowelt converted for use w/ deluge and had to cut off quite some beginnings. That's just not do-able w/ 300+ samples.

soundnomadsoundnomad bernBeta Tester Posts: 20

maybe this helps?

Manual: 10.5 audio loop margins:
    margins are enabled ON by default

settings menu: rec -> marg -> on/off

@soundnomad said:
    maybe this helps?

Manual: 10.5 audio loop margins:
    margins are enabled ON by default

settings menu: rec -> marg -> on/off

This only applies for recording audio clips from external sources and does not work for normal samples, loop points or beginning / end.