Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Exporting Songs

wolfhaircutwolfhaircut Portland, Oregon, USAPosts: 3

Hello everyone,

I'm a longtime Deluge user with quite a collection of songs. While I've exported many a song simply by resampling each track, I'd like to back the whole thing up.

Does anyone know of any tools to do this? The thought of resampling every single track for what I've calculated might take me a solid twenty hours sounds a bit much. I'd much appreciate any insight here.

Thanks a bunch.

Comments

@wolfhaircut said:
    Hello everyone,

I'm a longtime Deluge user with quite a collection of songs. While I've exported many a song simply by resampling each track, I'd like to back the whole thing up.

Does anyone know of any tools to do this? The thought of resampling every single track for what I've calculated might take me a solid twenty hours sounds a bit much. I'd much appreciate any insight here.

Thanks a bunch.

This is something I'm definitely interested in knowing too. I'd like to start mastering some of my tracks and it's looking like it will be a very time consuming process. By the way, which method do you find best? recording individual channels directly into the DAW as audio or resample inside the deluge and exporting audio with the sd card?

TOTALTOTAL Posts: 111
    edited January 2023

No shortcuts here I'm afraid.

Parallel to OP, some more things to bear in mind.

Happy to hear the more experienced, however, generic thinking would be if you are happy with the cable and audiocard inputs, why not record into the daw synced.
    I have yet to start doing that but might be sooner rather than later, one thing will help is to add four bars of kick at the beginning and at the end for ultra quick sync correction especially if you resample on Deluge.

A big question, even if you group tracks which will save lots effort with some trade-offs of course, how about sidechain. If synth is sc'ed by kik, and so is bass, you don't want to bounce kik twice. I think there was a method for that to mute the drums. Can't see how this would not zero the sidechain, but this would imply sc is taking midi not audio.

The biggest deal for me is going to be to ensure whatever I export is truly final. Repeating the process each time you detect some flaw - that would multiply the effort.

Post edited by TOTAL on
    jensgjensg Berlin, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 297

I usually record each sound into a new audio track with setting to “output”. Sometimes I record multiple sounds together, think of it as stems. Then I have all the audio tracks recorded and can check for any errors. I save the project with a new name. Then I delete all the original tracks.

I then save with “ collect „. This ensures I have a folder only containing the audio tracks and no other things (samples for example). This folder gets copied to the ipad (in my case with Cubasis). There I can mix and master.

It sounds long but I got used to it.

I do wish there would be an automation for this.

edited January 2023

How do you handle sidechain? do it on DAW?
    Also, if you select Output setting, this means any master effects are imprinted on each stem/sound. Unless there are none, in which case it makes no difference if Output or Mix, my guess is that you would keep using kits and synths until you have all the stems, or else in playback they would have master section duplicated?

Post edited by TOTAL on

Good question. I mostly add it in DAW.

HotelsinusHotelsinus HungaryPosts: 30

absolutely need to render the sonds or patters, like Polyend Play get this feature....

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

You could send tracks (16 max ?) as midi data all at one go. Then in a daw use a sampleplayer or so to connect the samples to the midi data.

edited January 2023

@djAzid said:
    You could send tracks (16 max ?) as midi data all at one go. Then in a daw use a sampleplayer or so to connect the samples to the midi data.

Omg No Way!

Post edited by Hotelsinus on
    djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

Well, recording 1 track at a time isn't much fun either.

Clearly, exporting separate tracks is not in the device's blueprint. Personally, I don't mind bouncing complete songs, althought D might still do batches and even an all-track mix / output export would address cut notes, so would spare tonnes of turning heavy stuff into audio loops near the completion of projects.
    This would keep us concise in turn because a 20-minute improvisation might take 40 minutes to export but that would be a totally unattended time, and could end in an alarm ;)

Don't want it to come across as dismissive, but if I were you, I would not bother archivising old stuff, just create new.

i Just want to render the tracks and mastering the whole in my computer..
    this is the only way.

It’s a long standing request and major gripe that is ignored by Synthstrom since years.

So don’t hope. It won’t happen.

edited January 2023

I know! But there is A concurens now! Things change after Polyend release the Play!

Post edited by Hotelsinus on

I know. But they battle the OLED screen bugs here and there won’t be any time left for more complex (albeit necessary IMHO) enhancements like exporting stems.

It just won’t happen.

Bay_MudBay_Mud OntarioBeta Tester Posts: 123

I usually get the song as close to how I want it as possible on the Deluge itself (using sidechain, simple EQ cuts, etc.). Then render the entire thing into Reaper, where I can master it as a whole. This has worked well for me so far (did a full album and an EP this way).

In rare cases where I want specific control over a particular item (like the kick or bass), I will solo those out and record it separately.

@Bay_Mud said:
    I usually get the song as close to how I want it as possible on the Deluge itself (using sidechain, simple EQ cuts, etc.). Then render the entire thing into Reaper, where I can master it as a whole. This has worked well for me so far (did a full album and an EP this way).

In rare cases where I want specific control over a particular item (like the kick or bass), I will solo those out and record it separately.

Thats what I also do. Let it run through my Ipad with a mastering chain in Mixbox CS active, so I can mix "under the mastering compressor". then I resample the track and apply the same chain in Cubasis on the ipad for a final output.

works well and efficient.

In a sense, less is more, and I do appreciate the trade-offs overall.

Still, offline rendering could keep competition away.
    I can't see how youtube reviewers can claim Play has no equivalents. Deluge does nearly all that Play does and tonnes more.

Bay_MudBay_Mud OntarioBeta Tester Posts: 123

@jensg said:

@Bay_Mud said:

Thats what I also do. Let it run through my Ipad with a mastering chain in Mixbox CS active, so I can mix "under the mastering compressor". then I resample the track and apply the same chain in Cubasis on the ipad for a final output.

works well and efficient.

Nice. Sounds like a good workflow.

I like the collect all angle, tidy.

When you say delete original tracks I am guessing you mean from that saved version of the track. Meaning you have older saved versions so you can go back and edit if necessary. Also I've heard talk of recording midi tracks as midi and copying over samples to save data storage.

@jensg said:
    I usually record each sound into a new audio track with setting to “output”. Sometimes I record multiple sounds together, think of it as stems. Then I have all the audio tracks recorded and can check for any errors. I save the project with a new name. Then I delete all the original tracks.

I then save with “ collect „. This ensures I have a folder only containing the audio tracks and no other things (samples for example). This folder gets copied to the ipad (in my case with Cubasis). There I can mix and master.

It sounds long but I got used to it.

I do wish there would be an automation for this.

If you turn down the volume output of the kick channel, the sidechain effect still functions. So you could record any side chain effected channels without the kick sounding (you can also add a separate kick that could play a different pattern) and doesn't trigger the sidechain. There is a setting in the side chain settings to choose the source. The Deli automatically assigns the kick channel from the kit you are using,

@TOTAL said:
    A big question, even if you group tracks which will save lots effort with some trade-offs of course, how about sidechain. If synth is sc'ed by kik, and so is bass, you don't want to bounce kik twice. I think there was a method for that to mute the drums. Can't see how this would not zero the sidechain, but this would imply sc is taking midi not audio.

The biggest deal for me is going to be to ensure whatever I export is truly final. Repeating the process each time you detect some flaw - that would multiply the effort.

@corinzabout said:
    If you turn down the volume output of the kick channel, the sidechain effect still functions. So you could record any side chain effected channels without the kick sounding (you can also add a separate kick that could play a different pattern) and doesn't trigger the sidechain. There is a setting in the side chain settings to choose the source. The Deli automatically assigns the kick channel from the kit you are using,

@TOTAL said:

Problem though: when having multiple’ patterns in arranger view with modulation on the kick, you would have to go through each clip, turn it down, remove automation etc.

A lot of hassle and error prone.

edited January 2023

How would you have it work? Shortcuts here, anyone?
    And thank you @corinzabout

Post edited by TOTAL on

Not really a viable solution yet. That’s why an official export workflow would be needed, that takes the tedious (and in the case of side chain impossible) work out of it.

@jensg said:

@corinzabout said:

@TOTAL said:

Problem though: when having multiple’ patterns in arranger view with modulation on the kick, you would have to go through each clip, turn it down, remove automation etc.

I was only commenting on recording off (mixing down/bouncing) side chain affected channels without the kick sounding. Not commenting on exporting stems/tracks to a DAW.

@TOTAL said:
    How would you have it work? Shortcuts here, anyone?
    And thank you @corinzabout

play the track that is side chain affected by the kick (the one you'd like to bounce to a new audio file). You'll also need the kick channel playing. If the kick is in a kit with other sounds then it would be best to copy the kit, then delete all the other kit sounds (or midi events for them). Or create a new kit with only a kick (use the same sample and midi note triggers to mimic effect). Once you have a kit track with only the kick sound, go to the side chain settings and choose that kick track as the side chain trigger. This will disable the original kick sound triggering the side chain (I think). Then all you have to do is go to your new kick kit track and turn the volume down for the kick, and viola the side chain action will happen without the need to hear the kick. Just remember to copy this (silent) instant of the side chain kick into your arrangement (if you use the arrangement window) wherever you want the side chain effect to be triggered. Now if you want to bounce that side chain affected track down without a kick, you can. I think this is what you were asking about TOTAL

@jensg said:

@corinzabout said:

@TOTAL said:

Don't think so. Just set up a dedicated side chain trigger (silent) track, and copy that through your arrangement. Then you can leave your original kick and its settings as they are

edited January 2023

Don't think so. Just set up a dedicated side chain trigger (silent) track, and copy that through your arrangement. Then you can leave your original kick and its settings as they are

if you have only a 4 on the floor kick this might work. but any beat with some form of complexity and arrangement does not. also if you have any white clips they are seperate too. anything where the beat breaks does not work. also probabilites do not work (they are different each iteration).

you would have to go through all this manually for the complete song. kind of tedious. doable? yes. practial? no.

but all good...

Post edited by jensg on

fair point

@jensg said:

if you have only a 4 on the floor kick this might work. but any beat with some form of complexity and arrangement does not. also if you have any white clips they are seperate too. anything where the beat breaks does not work. also probabilites do not work (they are different each iteration).

you would have to go through all this manually for the complete song. kind of tedious. doable? yes. practial? no.

but all good...

edited January 2023

Any folks here registered on polyend forum? It would be good to know how competition have managed to solve this.

That said, I would not be surprised if Designers Team were now concerned about which set of functionality would do best for the product lifecycle. One thing is those slight tweaks like going past the start of list in all menus that would benefit, more independence of buttons so that you can stutter while playing notes, or song button to get you out of the depths of sound menus, or switching between drum pads while in the depths of the sound menus - and another automating multiple steps of some complex funcitonality. Would we be able to draw a flow chart, by the way? There are visio-like tools for collaboration and there is plenty of time, given that the screens are yet to be replaced in a while.

By the way, what language is used for programming the device?

Post edited by TOTAL on

@corinzabout
    any kik you add - even replacing another non-sc drum comes with Send set to 50 and does not zero other kiks in use.

This is a flaw I think and easy to fix in any build x.x1 increment. This would still keep all the kiks' send settings in the factory presets but that is less of a concern.