Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge Inspiration…

cavengercavenger United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 11

Bare with me. I’m asking these questions coming from a genuine place. I just got the Deluge yesterday. How do I get inspired by the deluge? Because, without sounding like I’m ripping the thing, I’m just not getting the attraction to this thing. I also have the Akai force, maybe it’s that the force is just that much better? The Deluge was not cheap and I’m just trying to find the fit for me.

Comments

oneANToneANT ɹǝpun uʍop puɐlPosts: 73

..are you saying you have mastered it ..?

cavengercavenger United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 11

@oneANT said:
    ..are you saying you have mastered it ..?

No I’m not. But what I’m wondering about is what makes the Deluge special?

AlterAlter TokyoPosts: 100
    edited December 2022

I think the step sequencer for drums is great, akai's is not so good. Deluge doesn't have good preset sounds, I think you will be inspired if you build your own drum kits/synth patches.

Post edited by Alter on
    oneANToneANT ɹǝpun uʍop puɐlPosts: 73

@cavenger said:

what makes the Deluge special?

..so many reasons and we all find our own and I guess that is the whole point of it. ..that we find our own 'individual' way.
    Am envious of you, to have both the Force and Deluge is quite a challenge ..am super interested in what you find as a creative path between them. I don't think there are many of you ..most appear to be one or the other.
    Me for example ..I've become interested in audio out from the Deluge to a guitar amp and recording to mic/s. The imperfections, the organic nature of a room (or space) really appeals to me. Is more real than the synthetic perfection of synth ..like supermodels with gaps in their teeth. Photography (my other thing) has gone the same way, everything to everyone is about sharp and filters and real is not real anymore and is like takeaway food that afterward you are left feeling like it wasn't satisfying at all.

I feel like Rohan and Ian have always been trying to steer us away from machines and instead listen to ourselves. I think the Force is more about AKAI and the Deluge is more about us ..if that makes any sense. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

@cavenger said:
    But what I’m wondering about is what makes the Deluge special?

You get inspired by searching for a sound first, put some effects on it and from there you can get more inspiration.
    But, you have to put some time in it, there are sooo many option, which can be a struggle or can lead to something good.
    It's also about the workflow. You either love it or not. Just sit w/ it and try out all the options, maybe combine them.

hexfxtrikshexfxtriks South Carolina Ya'llPosts: 2

I'm hoping you watched some videos from different users to see if the Deluge was a fit for you. The Akai workflow for me leads to different results than the Deluge. The Deluge leads me to more 'offbeat' results then the Force. I feel freer with the deluge. What are you wanting to do with your creations?

Father_DaveFather_Dave United StatesPosts: 4

The semi generative %based ability of the deluge inspires me. Long time MPC user here, and while I can layer MPC sequences in different bars for polyrhythms, and the new update allows more randomness, its soooo easy on the deluge.

Drop in a kit track. Lay down a boombap simple beat. Kick on 1 and 3, sares on 2 and 4, then place other kicks with % based triggers and Bam....it sounds fresh snd inspiring for developing other song components