β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Tip, Tricks and Hacks - list your most useful non-obvious discoveries

TOTALTOTAL Posts: 111

Deluge has plenty of them, and some take time or lucky accident to discover, so how about joining forces?

Post edited by TOTAL on

Comments

Instruments Tune check in song mode

Problem
    Lots of 3-rd party synth presets are tuned to a different key - probably mainly the sample-based ones. With certain types of sounds, this may evade your attention.

Solution
    In song mode, audition keys play a c3 of a given synth, so it is easy to check if all of them are in tune.

Improvisation mode

Context
    When playing back arrangement, you may want the currently playing motive to continue so that you can do some improvisation. This can be seamlessly enabled:
    1. Switch to song mode
    2. press whichever of the mute buttons

Dimmed mute lights now are fully lit and the loops which have been on will keep playing. Very cool :)

BTW, does anyone know of a seamless comeback?

synthriksynthrik Sweden Posts: 22
    edited December 2022

@TOTAL said:
    Improvisation mode

Yup, I guess.

1. Switch back to arrange mode.
    2. Scroll horizontally to where you want to jump back into the arrangement.
    3. Push and hold horizontal scroll an press play.

After completing the current clip cycle, playback will continue in the arrangement. You can turn the select knob to increase number of cycles before the switch happens etc. It means you can also go back again to clip view and keep playing notes or beats live during count down.

Post edited by synthrik on
    BugahBugah Posts: 29
    edited December 2022

I've been compiling tips and tricks on the deluge discord in this doc. It started as me pinning messages across multiple discord channels and instead I thought it'd be best to have a growing list of tips and tricks in one spot for easier access. I'm thinking of cruising through the forum next to start compiling random tips. Currently a work in progress, I've been adding a little bit every couple of days.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19kMPOUQkjPSATEmscG-kO1CfFvc16-h8_Y8BJhICOOo/edit#

Post edited by Bugah on
    Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

@Bugah awesome, some great stuff here!

Maybe one to add:
    100% wet reverb: any sample in a kit, turn up the reverb amount, then close LPF on the whole kit. The wet reverb sound will still come through (due to Deluge routing) but not the dry signal.

ditto
    Feel free to use what is gathered here where applicable.

edited December 2022

Instantaneouns switch to Song loaded during playback
    When plaing in Song mode, loading a new song postpones playback until the end of full cycle. Depending on the cycle, this might take a long while, so it is very useful to have a chance to decide.
    You can hasten that. When song is loaded but awaits its turn, press one of the audition buttons to start its playback. Feels seamless so far.

Something similar in Arrangement mode, anyone? Technically, this would be something like turning select to the left with 2bar 1bar 1 2 3 4....

Post edited by TOTAL on

@synthrik said:

@TOTAL said:
    Improvisation mode

Yup, I guess.

1. Switch back to arrange mode.
    2. Scroll horizontally to where you want to jump back into the arrangement.
    3. Push and hold horizontal scroll an press play.

After completing the current clip cycle, playback will continue in the arrangement. You can turn the select knob to increase number of cycles before the switch happens etc. It means you can also go back again to clip view and keep playing notes or beats live during count down.

Cool. To get back to where you were, unless you have a photographic memory for light patterns is to prepare in advance. As the song vel arrangement plays, switch on Cross-Screen to have view follow song position and make the playhead show in the first column. Getting back using your method will land you where the song was.

Still not sure if clips always start in sync. Sometimes this is not working out to me but might be a matter of practice.

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418
    edited January 2023

Using 3 synth clips for bass (I like reeses).
    Got the midihub in my setup but also works if you connect the midi out from the deluge to midi in.

SUB BASS - using sine-s
    LOW BASS - using saws, low-passed, might add saturation
    TOP BASS - saws, hi-passed + low-pass, unison, going crazy with saturation, chorus, reverb, delay etc.
    You can imagine the many options this workflow allows:)
    With a bit of setup you can map most used values to the midi clip via cc...

Post edited by volsteh on

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

That's some great functionality facilitating another synthesis method I guess: additive.
    How do you plug track 4 midi to the three tracks?

edited January 2023

So first you must have midi out sent to in. You lay down some notes in the midi clip, hit play, then from the song view you hold learn and hold respective synth clip grid pads until they light up.

Mapping parameters from the midi clip to synth clips is more complicated, at least the way I found out. Set some midi cc, for example filter cutoff knob in the midi clip, save some automation, got to synth clip and learn the incoming automation to cutoff. Repeat in other synth clips if you want. Delete the automation from the midi clip. Not super sure about the learn and cc shortcuts, refer to manual... (I think you hold gold knob and change the cc with select and to learn in synth clip, hold learn and move the gold knob.)

BugahBugah Posts: 29

Added the reverb and arranger tips, expanded the MIDI In to MIDI Out section (I never figured out how to do midi CC's, cool trick to record automation, learn, then delete it), and added the reese bass patch example to the neurofunk bass section.

I've been layering synths but I've had to tweak the parameters and copy paste note sequences between 2-3 synths manually as I go. I'll practice the midi in / midi out trick to see if I can speed up my bass design steps.

edited January 2023

@Bugah I think you could use some midi keyboard with a few knobs, learn them to the gold ones in the midi clip, then learn them to the synths by twisting them on the midi keyboard, avoiding the automation steps. Could use the usb midi in to connect the keyboard if using the out>in for internal midi routing. Must confirm this is possible, but it sounds feasible.

edited January 2023

In solo playback you CAN record a loop. Procedure as with non-soloed, so when audiotrack is there and armed rec pressed the right tracks soloed, solo the audiotrack to start, then to stop recording.
    How cool the function is there. sometimes it takes too many mutes to let just a single track play.

Post edited by TOTAL on
    HotelsinusHotelsinus HungaryPosts: 30

ohg yess you made my day... this is what im looking for , but never ever see a midi loop.
    i just think i can try this... so it works hell yeah

!!!thank you man!!!!

@volsteh said:
    Using 3 synth clips for bass (I like reeses).
    Got the midihub in my setup but also works if you connect the midi out from the deluge to midi in.

SUB BASS - using sine-s
    LOW BASS - using saws, low-passed, might add saturation
    TOP BASS - saws, hi-passed + low-pass, unison, going crazy with saturation, chorus, reverb, delay etc.
    You can imagine the many options this workflow allows:)
    With a bit of setup you can map most used values to the midi clip via cc...