Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Recording MIDI CC from external controller

miaouxmiaouxmiaouxmiaoux ScotlandBeta Tester Posts: 68

I’d like to know if it’s possible to record incoming MIDI CC data from an external MIDI controller, that is then output to an external synth, via the Deluge’s MIDI thru function.

I understand I can control the external synth with CC messages from the Deluge, by assigning the gold knobs to the relevant CC # in a MIDI track, and that I can record automation this way.

I also understand I can control the external synth from an external MIDI controller through the Deluge by enabling ‘MIDI thru’ in the Options menu.

I’ve managed to get both the gold knob AND the external MIDI controller changing the parameter on the external synth at the same time. But I can only record and automate if I turn the gold knob. And the gold knob doesn’t reflect changes made on the external controller. How do I record and automate when only using the external controller?

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Instead of using MIDI thru, learn a MIDI controller to the audition pads of the MIDI clip that’s set to the channel of the external synth.

Then MIDI cc changes will be recorded with the clip, regardless of gold knob settings. If a gold knob is set to the same CC as the controller the LEDs will reflect any movement or automation.

miaouxmiaouxmiaouxmiaoux ScotlandBeta Tester Posts: 68

This works great! For some reason I didn’t think you could do this. Got myself confused. What a game changer. Cheers!

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Glad to help! Cheers!

canardcanard FranceBeta Tester Posts: 6

@Too_Mere said:
    Glad to help! Cheers!

Thank you so much you saved my life, I've been trying to do this for almost a week...
    I asked the question everywhere, nobody knew how to answer me...
    I had also tried several times to create a topic about it here, but they were not validated, I don't know why...
    Anyway I thank you very much! :)