Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Chorus on main mix disabled when active parameter is zero.

synthriksynthrik Sweden Posts: 22
edited January 2023 in Deluge Help

Hi,

I'm not sure if this behavior is expected. It's a very minor issue once I had figured out what's going on and easy to work around, but it did leave me puzzled for quite some time.

I have recently started to apply just the tiniest amount of chorus to the main mix of songs to add some thickness which is when I came across this behavior which would seem to me not to be intentional. LED Deluge FW 4.0.1.

1. SHIFT+NEW NEW to create a new song.
  2. Enter a short note pattern. Best with a combination of high and low notes to hear the difference in coming steps.
  3. PLAY to start playback.
  4. SONG to enter song mode.
  5. AFFECT ENTIRE and MOD RATE/DEPTH to adjust modulation effect on main mix.
  6. Push upper gold knob to switch from flanger to chorus.
  7. Push lower gold knob to switch parameter. (The following applies to both chorus parameters so an alternative reproduction scenario is to leave this step out.)
  8. Turn lower gold knob anti-clockwise until the parameter value is zero.
  9. At this point the thing I had not expected happens: the chorus effect is completely disabled! (Listen carefully!)
  10. Push lower gold knob to switch parameter.
  11. At this point the chorus is enabled again.

Keep pushing the lower gold knob and the Deluge switches chorus on or off with each push. It doesn't matter which one of the parameters is set to zero, when it is active the effect is completely disabled.

If there is no good explanation for this behavior, I'll consider bothering @rohan with a bug report. :)

Cheers.

Post edited by synthrik on
Tagged:

Best Answer

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USAPosts: 993
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

@Alter said:
    I tested it.
    In song mode, select chorus effect, set depth = 0, offset = 25 via the lower gold knob. Then each press of the lower gold knob toggles the chorus effect on and off.

I just verified that yes, with depth at zero you can hear the offset adjusted but then switching to depth parameter removes the offset. Only seems to happen if depth is at zero tho.

I could actually see this being intentional as a way to remove chorus from the entire song without having to flip back and forth.

Post edited by Too_Mere on

Answers

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 604

sounds like you are doing this on a kit clip since you can't click mod rate/depth encoders in song view to switch FX.

when you lower the lower gold knob to zero you are either lowering DEPTH or OFFSET of chorus. if depth is at 0, no chorus, if OFFSET is 0, then no offset is enabled for the chorus so there won't be any chorus effect.

AlterAlter TokyoPosts: 100

I tested it.
    In song mode, select chorus effect, set depth = 0, offset = 25 via the lower gold knob. Then each press of the lower gold knob toggles the chorus effect on and off.

synthriksynthrik Sweden Posts: 22

@Too_Mere said:
    I could actually see this being intentional as a way to remove chorus from the entire song without having to flip back and forth.

You may be right. The phaser effect, which also has two parameters, behaves exactly the same. I think it is odd though as, depending on how the other parameter is set, the transition to zero/off can be quite abrupt, even more so with the phaser effect.