Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

external synth workflow recording.

janbertjanbert VancouverPosts: 35

Hi.

I just bought a hardware synth and would have a general workflow question on how you guys use hardware synths with the deluge.

My current workflow would be to set a track for "line-in" monitoring which my synth is connected to.
Then I would create another track for midi.
Once I am happy with my notes I then record the audio (line-in synth) and disable midi.

In order to create a new synth track I guess I have to go to the same procedure again. Creating an audio track, monitoring on, create midi track, recording,....

The main issue I have with that if I record a pad or a synth patch with a longer release then I wont get a nice transition when looping. It kind of makes sense. In a Daw I would record basically twice as long and then cut the first part so its a perfect loop.
With the deluge it would turn into an immense effort. Is there a solution for that?

Or what is your general workflow with external gear, especially when you have just one synth with just one output but you want to use it for multiple tracks?

Bonus question: Even if I would just use the synth for just one track. How do you save your patches? I guess that's a general issue when just using hardware? I have to basically write down the synth patch I was using for each song?
So when loading my deluge song next time I have to find the patch on my synth again? Is that correct?

Comments

AlterAlter TokyoPosts: 100
    edited December 2022

@janbert said:
    With the deluge it would turn into an immense effort. Is there a solution for that?

Continuous Overdub feature will make it easy. Add a new audio clip, set the length, set the arming status to blinking red, and press the Rec + Audiotion button on the next blank row during playback.

Post edited by Alter on
    janbertjanbert VancouverPosts: 35

Ho ho. Thats a good idea. That should work. Thanks :)

jensgjensg Berlin, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 297

Also, when recording 3 loops into an audio clip, you can trim the first and last one leaving you with the middle loop. This one has the reverb tail in the beginning so that it makes for a perfect loop.

You can trim the beginning of an audio clip with the reverse trick. Search for it.

And when you turn on record margins in the preferences, the loop is even more seamless.