Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

get back to the root when looking for samples; or switch from SYNTH to KIT

WilkatronicWilkatronic United StatesPosts: 4

Hopefully there is a really easy way to do this that I am overlooking. Some of my samples are in my SYNTH folder, some are in my KIT folder. For instance, loops for slicing are in KIT, multisamples in SYNTH. Once I load a sample, that sample becomes the default location when I next browse. But, what if I load a multisample from the SYNTH folder, and then next I want to load a loop sample from the KIT folder? There doesn't seem to be a way to back out to the root directory (if I am in the Multisamples folder, and hit back, I end up in the SYNTH folder; if I hit back again I get kicked out of browsing). I can press shift+kit to create a new kit, and then browse, but I will still be browsing the SYNTH folder and there's no way to get over to the KIT folder.

There seem to be ugly workarounds, like loading a random kit, browsing to the samples in that kit, and then that becomes the default browsing location. But is there some better way to jump from the SYNTH to the KIT folders when hunting for samples?

Initially I had put all my samples (including loops for slicing) in SYNTH (which is I think what one is supposed to do), but then I have the problem that if I start making a new song and start by creating a new KIT, then when I try to browse for samples it starts me browsing in the KIT folder and I can't get over to SYNTH where the loops are (at least not easily).

What am I missing here?

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

The SYNTH and KIT folders are mainly for preset files (xml). All browsing for both synths and kits are done from the SAMPLES folder, in which you can have any organization you like.

Just be aware that moving samples already used in presets or songs will stop those songs/presets from working properly.

AlterAlter TokyoPosts: 100

There does not seem to be an easy way to move between folders. A key combination to go back to the root folder would be nice (e.g. shift+back/undo). Or I would like some buttons on the keyboard screen in the browser to assign shortcuts to folders, like MPC.

That's a good idea Alter.

Too_Mere, thank you, I must be doing something else wrong then. Let's say I want to create a new kit, which will be based on a sliced beat. So I press shift+kit to create a new kit. But at this point I'm browsing in the KIT folder, so I can't get to my beats, which should be in the SAMPLES folder.

@Wilkatronic said:
    That's a good idea Alter.

Too_Mere, thank you, I must be doing something else wrong then. Let's say I want to create a new kit, which will be based on a sliced beat. So I press shift+kit to create a new kit. But at this point I'm browsing in the KIT folder, so I can't get to my beats, which should be in the SAMPLES folder.

SELF CORRECTION -- sorry! Once I moved the files to the SAMPLES folder that is where it starts when I press shift+kit. So, the solution is, don't get creative when you make the directory structure! Got it. Question resolved.