Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

External Mic in - use cases

Hey friendly humans :)

So I tried read up on the external mic input and the manual states it is powered with 4,5V. On reddit people are warning about damaging gear but never really get specific. So I would like to ask the smart deluge veterans on an actual use case where you would need a powered 3,5mm mic input (also as it is not a classic phantom powered 48V for condenser mics)? When do you guys use the prefer the external mic in oder the other line in? Can it be useful for preamping a piezo / contact mic?
What gear can be damaged by it? Like my Zoom h2n has a battery by itself ... so if I feed it into the ext mic in ... is it "overpowered"?

I know, it's probably a very "basic knowledge" thing to ask .. but yeah .. here I am :D

Cheers :)

Tagged:

Comments

staubistaubi Erlangen/GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 62

I use the ext mic in with a dynamic mike to transpose and FX my voice and never had problems. Dynamic microphones are electrically very robust. So you shouldn't have a problem. I also use the mic input for connecting external gear with a 3,5mm cable when i travel and also here never had problems. In studio I prefer the line ins.

Piezo microphones need a voltage limiter as they can generate quite high voltages. Does anyone have experience with condenser or piezo microphones connected to the deluge?

Brass side of life: JTK

hermansmasherhermansmasher AustriaPosts: 26

Thanks for your answer, good to know. But still, yet nobody seems to have a "prototype"-case for the use of a 4,5V powered 3,5mm jack.

AlterAlter TokyoPosts: 100
    edited November 2022

deluge's mic jack can drive electret condenser (for lavalier or video) microphones. (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/EDUTIGE-ETM-001-Microphone-Omnidirectional-Mirrorless/dp/B00IP0ST78/ )

Plug-In Power:
    https://www.soundonsound.com/glossary/plug-power-0

Zoom h2n should be connected to the LINE IN jack.

Post edited by Alter on