Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Muting synths/kits

DavidDavid GermanyPosts: 22
edited October 2022 in General Discussion

I am having trouble figuring out how to mute a synth or kit when using a midi controller.
In this case I am playing a bass line and strings at the same time from a mid keyboard.
I need to be able to stop and start the strings while I am playing the keyboard and I would like to use a midi learn command.
I have mapped the controller to the mute launch buttons on the deluge, but it doesn't mute the sound, only stops the sequencers notes from triggering the kit.
Does anyone know what I am missing?
Cheers!

Post edited by David on

Comments

DavidDavid GermanyPosts: 22

OK.... I figured a fairly convoluted process.
    I mapped the same midi switch to the oscillator 1 level of each sample in the kit using a CCtoggle command. (0-127)
    The problem was;
    at first the Deluge responded in a super weird way.
    Every time I triggered the switch the oscillator level decreased by a value of 1 for every toggle... so, 100 presses to get it to zero. Great...
    I only stumbled out on the solution, by setting the CCtoggle value between 63-127 I noticed the Oscillator value toggling between 25-50.
    So for each sample in the kit I had to go through the process of mapping the CCtoggle switch normally, then rolling the toggle values to 63-127 and then back to 0-127.
    All just so I can mute the kit track while I continue playing the bass line.
    It is almost perfect now, when I trigger the switch, the whole kit is activated, but unfortunately when I want to switch it off, the kit cuts out abruptly. Not such a great effect for a string sound.
    I'll keep tinkering, but if anyone knows a better way, please help me!
    Cheers.

PS: I am using a Nektar Pacer midi floor controller for looping and all these midi functions while I play various other instruments with my hands. Guitar, Bass, etc...

EhuleEhule USAPosts: 1

That's pretty good idea

I have a similar interest. I have about 5 or more different synths playing to create texture at the same time and would like to to mute/solo some to make different combinations running off the same channel.

The only thing I figured out which might help was mapping the Master volume on one synth or a group of synths to a midi fader or expression pedal.

Maybe there will be a mute all notes or range of notes (even coming from the midi controller) independent of the sequencer function inside clip view at some point.

That could also be a way for a bass line to only be played when a specific range of keys on the controller is used.