Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge and External Keyboard

When you hook the Deluge up to an external MIDI keyboard, does it record mod wheel/pitch bend/velocity/aftertouch data along with note values into the sequencer? And is there anything special you need to do to set this up? I'm considering getting one to use primarily as a sequencer for my hardware synths, and would need to be able to record the midi data from my keyboard without edits/filtering.

Best Answer

SamSam WellingtonPosts: 160
    Answer ✓

Hi @gtrmstr53! To answer this larger question: "I guess my question boils down to, how does the Deluge know that when I hit a key one time I want it to learn the note on/off data, and when I hit it another time I want it to learn velocity, and when I hit it a third time I want it to learn aftertouch, and so on?"

Basically, when you learn a keyboard to the notes/pitches on the Deluge, it automatically learns the aftertouch/velocity to their corresponding parameters (the "aftertouch" and "velocity" mod sources) on the Deluge, which you can then use to patch to whatever you like by using the shortcuts matrix.

Answers

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296
    Yea it does that. Velocity pitch and aftertouch are usually ready to go on " synth" tracks. Im guessing mod is also, i havnt used mod i dont think.... On " midi" type tracks you need to midi learn how you want it setup when you create it, regarding cc messages at least. Maybe pitch bend is ready on midi track too ?( im not at my desk right now) the point is yes, you can though at first glance you may scratch your head if youve not read the manual. But its simple once you know.
    gtrmstr53gtrmstr53 Posts: 11

Thanks for the response! The midi type tracks are the ones that are most relevant to me. I looked over the manual and followed how the midi learn works for note data and for knobs--it sounds like you just hit a button combo on the Deluge then hit a key or turn a knob. But I was worried the Deluge might have trouble learning mod/pitch/velocity/aftertouch because they involve something like a combination of note and knob data at the same time. I guess my question boils down to, how does the Deluge know that when I hit a key one time I want it to learn the note on/off data, and when I hit it another time I want it to learn velocity, and when I hit it a third time I want it to learn aftertouch, and so on? Or does it do all of that automatically?

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296
    Id say what your after will be doable regarless of the process involved. but im not at expert level with the deluge by any means. Have a good search thru the suggestions section on the forum. People are quick to say what they would like to see feature-wise. What your after sounds pretty basic if im reading correctly. In which case, finding others requesting it should clue you into its capabilities better.
    Off the top of my head, in song mode only note messages get learnt. Ie: transport controls mute and launch...all note only.
    In track veiw note gets learnt to the piano roll, cc is mapped fom within the editor menu(enter menu parameters>select osc1>portamento hold learn and move your controller) thats in synth tracks.
    In midi you select the channel, the set prgm chng in a sub menu and set ccs by pressimg down the gold knob you want it on and scrolling to the cc number you need it set
    gtrmstr53gtrmstr53 Posts: 11

Thanks Sam, that makes sense!