Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Multiple tracks with the same sound not possible?

ChandrojiChandroji Berlin / GermanyPosts: 9
edited May 2019 in Deluge Help

Hello from Berlin!

I’m new here and this is my first post, sorry when I start with a stupid? question...

I just got my Deluge and love this little device already! 😊
Now I’m going to record my first project and I run in first trouble.

I want to create several sequences/clips in own tracks to arrange, merge and stack them if needed.
All sequences should have the same sound!

When I add a new track/clip in songview I can’t select a sound which I’ve already used in the project.
Is this normal or did I miss something?

Thanks a lot in advance for your kindly help!

🙏

Post edited by Chandroji on

Comments

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

You can create a track with a sequence, clone it, then edit the cloned track, but you can’t play both original and cloned track at the same time. You also can’t create two new tracks that have the same sound number that would play simultaneously.

You might be able to save a sound as another sound number and use one track with original sound number and the other track with the new sound number. I’ve never tried that specifically. You could also modify a sound parameter slightly and save it as a new number and use it on the new track so they sound so similar as to be indistinguishable.

The limitation is in using the same sound save slot on two tracks playing simultaneously.

ChandrojiChandroji Berlin / GermanyPosts: 9

@Vondragonnoggin said:
    The limitation is in using the same sound save slot on two tracks playing simultaneously.

Thanks a lot for confirmation @Vondragonnoggin ! 🙏
    So I will try to save the sounds as A, B, C... to use them in different tracks!
    Maybe there are orther workarounds as well. 😊

j3threejayj3threejay USAPosts: 34

@Vondragonnoggin said:
    You might be able to save a sound as another sound number and use one track with original sound number and the other track with the new sound number. I’ve never tried that specifically. You could also modify a sound parameter slightly and save it as a new number and use it on the new track so they sound so similar as to be indistinguishable.

I tried this and it still won’t let you play both at the same time which is strange to me. I didn’t modify the sound just saved to a different preset

j3threejayj3threejay USAPosts: 34

Correction to my last post... This actually did work!
    Not sure what I did differently after I walked away for a few hours and tried again..

edited May 2019

@j3threejay said:

@Vondragonnoggin said:

I tried this and it still won’t let you play both at the same time which is strange to me. I didn’t modify the sound just saved to a different preset

Did it actually save globally? Or just save within a song?

If you saved as preset 190 for instance and previously you only had 189 presets, can you pick 190 in a brand new song?

If it has a letter next to the number then it is not a global save. Global preset list is just numbers.

Post edited by Vondragonnoggin on

@j3threejay said:
    Correction to my last post... This actually did work!
    Not sure what I did differently after I walked away for a few hours and tried again..

Good to hear!

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

It would be great, if you could step into a cloned track, then clone the synth and you could play both tracks simultaneously. Track 1 with Synth20a and former cloned track (but now independently) with Synth 20b

You can reach that already,
    1. when create a track,
    2. change the synth (eg. 20 to 20a),
    3. Then clone the track,
    4. step into the cloned track,
    5. switch back to Synth 20 and 6. change a parameter,
    6. it sets the synth automatically to Synth 20b.

The only problem is, that if you changed a lot parameters and effects and you only want to have a slightly different synth playing at the same time you need to rework every single setting. It would be far more easy if you just could clone a synth on a cloned track and this track gets independent.

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

DudeIsADogDudeIsADog United StatesPosts: 6

Hey all,
    Noob here. So...the only way to use a given synth throughout a song, with different sections having different parts but the same sound, is to make a really long clip that spans the whole song?

For example, say we have a portion of a song that goes [verse 1, chorus, verse 2] in which verse 2 used the same synth as verse 1, but a variation on the melody line...would we have to create a clip that spans both verses with empty cells (rests) through the chorus between the verses?

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

@DudeIsADog said:
    Hey all,
    Noob here. So...the only way to use a given synth throughout a song, with different sections having different parts but the same sound, is to make a really long clip that spans the whole song?

For example, say we have a portion of a song that goes [verse 1, chorus, verse 2] in which verse 2 used the same synth as verse 1, but a variation on the melody line...would we have to create a clip that spans both verses with empty cells (rests) through the chorus between the verses?

That’s not true. If you hold a clip in song view and press another row it will copy the clip with a new section color. The new clip could be used for verse 2 for example. Both clips will use the same synth.

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

The words you are searching in the manual is "clone" and "unlink"

With clone you create another clip variation. By default you are only able to play one of the variations at the same time.

If you like to use the same synth playing at the same time with several clips, you have to "unlink" those clips by create a "copy" of this synth for those clips.

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

LordWiggleLordWiggle NLPosts: 3

Here is a fragment from the manual about how to clone while loading.

“Cloning” sound presets, to add an additional instance:
    Each loaded sound preset may only have one clip active at a time. When a preset has an active clip, it won’t even show up as an option for another clip when navigating through presets in clip view, and if you try to load it in the load preset interface, the Deluge will display a “USED” error message, meaning the preset is used elsewhere.
    To get around this, load the preset with the load preset interface, but long-press the load button after selecting the preset. The Deluge will offer you the option to “CLONe” the preset - loading it into memory as a separate copy, able to be used simultaneously to the existing one. Press the load button again to complete this.

In practice: When in clip view with the synth sound selected:
    1. Press LOAD+SYNTH. Keyboard view appears.
    2. Hold LOAD button untill you see CLon
    3. Press SELECT knob and you have sound 20b instead of 20.