Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Spiral/wire binding for official Deluge manual

MohnJaddenMohnJadden United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 6

I'm a new Deluge owner and also newbie to synths and production in general. I'm loving the fact that the manual is a Ctrl-F-able PDF but I'm the kind of person who learns best from a physical book, especially when I can open it up and lay it flat.

Is there any way the official Deluge manual could eventually be sold as a spiral or wire bound edition? I might just cough up the $50ish to have it done at a local big-box office chain but it'd be nice if it could come from the source.

Comments

SammySammy DurnessPosts: 10

Lulu prices are cheap and can do a spiral build...
    https://www.lulu.com/pricing

synthriksynthrik Sweden Posts: 22

Maybe this is what you're looking for.
    https://synthstrom.com/product/deluge-manual/
    I just ordered one for myself as I was getting some spare parts for the Deluge anyway. :)

jsilencejsilence GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 27

@synthrik said:
    Maybe this is what you're looking for.
    https://synthstrom.com/product/deluge-manual/
    I just ordered one for myself as I was getting some spare parts for the Deluge anyway. :)

I have the printed manual as well. I think a lay flat spiral bound version would be helpful though.
    Would encourage OP to just print and let bind.

synthriksynthrik Sweden Posts: 22
    edited July 2022

I have the printed manual as well. I think a lay flat spiral bound version would be helpful though.

@jsilence Since you have the printed manual from Synthstrom, would you mind sharing what type of binding it is? The shop doesn't seem to mention. I suppose it's paperback or similar.

Post edited by synthrik on

@synthrik said:

@jsilence Since you have the printed manual from Synthstrom, would you mind sharing what type of binding it is? The shop doesn't seem to mention. I suppose it's paperback or similar.

It is glued paperback. High quality, but does not lay flat.

Then again, there are a couple of nice pdf cheat sheets you can print and have handy with the Deluge.

MohnJaddenMohnJadden United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 6

I ended up going to a local print shop - they're doing a one-off for $75. I think Staples was the cheapest competitor, but not by much - $50ish. I'm OK with the few extra bucks when I can sit down with a pro rather than big-box employee.

Lulu is deffo cheap but I got a bit of the heebie-jeebies. They wanted $20 for the job. IDK, man. Cheap for a reason. But yes, it definitely is very good to have a lay-flat spiral bound manual - easier to fit onto a smaller desk space, lap, etc. Maybe future versions if it doesn't cost Synthstrom too much? I'd imagine nobody really had a preference until I came around.

@jsilence said:
    Then again, there are a couple of nice pdf cheat sheets you can print and have handy with the Deluge.

Are those the ones at the back of the manual or are there others? Cheat sheets are a good thing.

@MohnJadden said:

Are those the ones at the back of the manual or are there others? Cheat sheets are a good thing.

There are some from other people. Some free, some cost a buck. Just dig with google. Don‘t have a computer near me right now.

taktak Posts: 31
    edited August 2022

Lulu is deffo cheap but I got a bit of the heebie-jeebies. They wanted $20 for the job. IDK, man. Cheap for a reason.

Lulu quality is completely fine - I have used them for spiral manuals and have been satisfied (although using a locally-owned printshop is quite noble so props there).

That said, I purchased the Synthstrom/Synthdog manual directly from Synthstrom. I find the manual, while thick and solid (sadly due primarily to lots of wasted page space "for notes") is quite disappointing in a printed medium. As to one major reason, the index is very small and unhelpful (and the ToC very generic unless you think a ToC line item such as "Audio" is helpful).

As an example, there is an index line item for "RECORDING" and it shows a reference to exactly two pages. If someone were looking for recording, maybe they'd want "Recording Line In" or "Recording Samples" or "Recording Levels" or a littany of other things to record. There are 245 instances of the word recording but only 2 pages identified in the index related to recording. Under that index entry is "RECORDING PATTERN". For a user, I wonder who is looking in the index for something that is called "recording pattern"?

All I am suggesting is that before you go buying a manual or printing it, make sure the manual is helpful to you, and that it will be helpful in printed form with such a sorry ToC and Index. I am a person that loves manuals and hardly ever use the Synthstrom one and wish I hadn't purchased it. The PDF is far more helpful given I can do a keyword search.

I find a handful of wonderful people on this forum, and other forums, along with some amazing YouTubers are a fortuitous miracle to help save one from the manual.

Post edited by tak on