Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

External control to resample clip by clip, ultimately automated?

ckbarlowckbarlow Baltimore USAPosts: 16

Hi, all:

I love creating on the Deluge, but for various reasons, I typically transfer the project as individual audio tracks to my DAW to finalize. The manual seems to indicate that I should be able to control parts of this process from an external controller – Section 12.4 Global MIDI Commands discusses global commands such as PLAY and REC (both of which I'd need), and also includes this bit but does not elaborate:

Other MIDI control functions are also available, for example, Song specific functions:-
• Launching of clips or sections. <--I definitely need this too
• Muting / unmuting clip rows on song mode. <-- and this
• Playing one sound in a kit clip.
• Playing a synth belonging to a clip.

Whereas the manual does provide a step-by-step for mapping CMD options like PLAY and REC, there's nothing further about these "other MIDI control functions." Am I missing it somewhere? And it says "for example," meaning there are others, right?

My thinking is that if I could do the following from an external controller:
1. solo a clip
2. issue Resample+Play 2x (to stop after exactly one pass of the clip)
3. unsolo the clip
4. advance to the next clip,

...then I'd be able to create a Keyboard Maestro macro to automate this process for me, and I could hit some keystroke and walk away and, you know, do some lifesaving humanitarian work or maybe just some doomscrolling with all the free time I'd gained.

What I'd really love is a built-in Deluge macro to do this for the loaded Song – hit a button combo and have it sequentially solo-resample each clip to the card (oooh, into a folder called [Project Name] - XXXBPM), ready to drop into a DAW.

Thanks for any info you can provide!
CK

Best Answer

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USAPosts: 993
    Answer ✓

There’s currently not a way to trigger the clip solo function or the resample via MIDI.

You may be able to accomplish close what you want if instead of soloing you mute all clips, then you automate the unmuting of clips. You can learn MIDI to the clip mute launch buttons by holding the learn button and the clip launch button and then sending the MIDI note you want to use as the command.
    And because you can’t MIDI learn resample, you’ll have to automate recording in your DAW. Or just record all clips as one long string of audio and split in the DAW later.

That said, I’m not sure how much time you’ll save in the end after learning and automating everything vs just doing it manually.

Answers

edited August 2022

The time savings could be significant, speaking from having done it a half-dozen or so times already.

Keyboard Maestro is able to send MIDI messages, and I already use it to control Logic for things like bouncing out individual parts or section stems as required by some publishers. I actually can hit a keystroke and walk away while a good 15 minutes or so of busywork happens without me.

To your idea... I could create an arrangement that played through every unique clip once with an empty measure or so between, record that into my DAW resample it on the Deluge and bring the file into the DAW, slice... Basically shifts the grunt work to the DAW. That's worth considering for sure.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Post edited by ckbarlow on

Thanks, also, @Too_Mere, for solving the mystery of whether clip solo was MIDI-controllable.

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Happy to help 👍🏼