Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Multichannel Midi with Ableton and midi assignments

solflaresolflare AustraliaPosts: 5

I wish to use the deluge as multi-timbral sound module and receive midi via separate midi channels from ableton. Ie 8 separate midi channels for 8 separate parts that are launched as clips in ableton.

I've set this up and it works as expected however now when I try to make midi assignments for volume faders to another midi controller such as novation launch control. The assignments work however they are only active if within ableton that particular track is selected / highlighted. Otherwise the assignment is temporarily dead or non functioning. Once I choose that track in ableton again it becomes active again.

Seeing as I'm creating a live set up having midi assignments that only work when a particular track is selected is obviously not viable especially for volume faders, that would mean I could only fade in one thing at a time.

Is there a way to have working midi assignments and also have deluge receiving midi from multiple midi channels?

I'm wondering if this means that deluge can only work via on midi channel at a time? Can you please let me know options here?

I was thinking maybe to have a midi controller plug in directly but I wonder if the same issue arises?

Answers

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

The Deluge can indeed receive MIDI from multiple channels at once. Connecting the controller directly to the Deluge should work as expected. I have a feeling Ableton is filtering what is sent. Setting monitoring to on for those Ableton tracks may work. But it may have to do with Novation control functions that automatically integrate with Ableton, causing only the selected track to be affected.

solflaresolflare AustraliaPosts: 5

@Too_Mere said:
    The Deluge can indeed receive MIDI from multiple channels at once. Connecting the controller directly to the Deluge should work as expected. I have a feeling Ableton is filtering what is sent. Setting monitoring to on for those Ableton tracks may work. But it may have to do with Novation control functions that automatically integrate with Ableton, causing only the selected track to be affected.

Thanks for your help - Yes it seems Ableton is filtering what is sent, running with your suggestion I discovered that if I temporarily change the Ableton's midi channel monitor to (In) instead of (Auto) then assign volume to a fader of novation then switch in back to (auto) again the assignment will have been made and also it won't be filtered out when I select a different midi track, ie it works regardless of track selection.

However the keyboard will still just play the selected track, so this is exactly what I hoped for. To be able to select a track and play just that track with my keyboard but still have midi control of other faders, filters etc without needing to select them.

I already had de-activated novations automatic control surface integration, so it wasn't that.

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Okay cool. Glad that’s working for you! 👍🏼