Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Sample organization / SD card folder structure

empiempi GermanyPosts: 7

Are there any best/common practices regarding distribution of sample files on the sd card?
Like folder structure etc. For example I understand that a few users put their multi-samples for synths into a separate folder called MULTISAMPLE.

From what I gathered some people have one kit with each snare sample, one kit for each kick, which would somewhat negate the need to have all snares in one folder.

Background: I have a few bought and paid for sample packs on my hard disk. These are sorted in a non-uniform fashion, which is not a big deal since there enough tools to search, tag and categorize these files no matter the actual structure on disk.

No such thing on the deluge, so I think some other structure would speed up searching for sample. Then again, there are multiple dimensions of categorization to consider.

Also at some point having a completely different folder structure on the SD card than on my hard drive might get confusing as well.

So, how do you guys organize your samples?

I'm assuming I'm not the first newbie to ask these questions, but I could not quickly find a related post.

Tagged:

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Its a good idea to group samples into smaller folders, i.e. instead of 'all 3000 kicks I have' in one, do several different folders with different types of kicks, or sources, etc.

You can search in the file browser though. Touching the QWERTY keyboard while in the browser will activate it, then you can type in filenames and jump to them.
    It searches based on the start of the names, and predicts the ending like a web browser.

The structure can be whatever works best for you. Personally I use a big 400GB SD card, have a lot of samples, and use lots of subfolders and descriptive names to keep it somewhat neat.

Remember, when browsing, names can be scrolled with the <>-knob :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

SlowMoeSlowMoe GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 9

Need to start to organize new as well. Got more and more samples and now my structure is a mess :#

Deluge is capable of 400gb :o
    Guess i need a new card :D

SlowMoeSlowMoe GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 9

Since i got more and more samples, its time for me to organize it better. My folder structure became a mess :#

400gb sd card work with deluge ? :o

PercivalePercivale SingaporeBeta Tester Posts: 32
    edited May 2021

Here's how I currently do it:
    1. [Multi] -> MultiNames as many as you need - one each for sound you know will prefer to play as instruments.
    2. [Samples] -> YourName-1/YourName-2. (1) for standard Drum sounds (sub-folders to break down, e.g. Claps, Kicks, Snares, etc.) and (2) for genre/curated types (sub-folders for each category, e.g. Chill, EDM, etc.)
    3. [Single] -> for Single Cycle Waveforms

Post edited by Percivale on
    empiempi GermanyPosts: 7

Thanks, you guys!

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@SlowMoe said:
    Need to start to organize new as well. Got more and more samples and now my structure is a mess :#

Deluge is capable of 400gb :o
    Guess i need a new card :D

Yes it is, but the card needs to be formatted to FAT32 ! :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

pogodancepogodance United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 57

This is the one thing that holds me back from ordering a deluge: the absence of a screen for browsing samples on SD. I like to import one shots from huge multi sample libraries on my other boxes, they all have some kind of screen that can do letters, even if they're small like the mc101. I guess I'd have to accept the need to pre prepare some folders. I really hope there is a deluge 2 with same size but more informative screen! The lack of screen dependence is great discipline for the interface but sometimes you need to be able to see the letters in a sample name!

MusicMaybeMusicMaybe CanadaPosts: 5

I am looking for an approach, in the broader sense, to organizing information on the Deluge SD card. My main considerations match what everyone else hear has mentioned, with these additions/embellishments:
    1) I plan to add/create more samples, songs, synths, and kits overtime. I have already started with several purchases over the net and expect them to grow quickly as I start creating my own.
    2)Priorities are quick retrieval during the creative process and minimal duplication across the folder tree (while saving space is a consideration, keeping multiple copies of the same "whatever" up to date will become increasingly difficult with increasing duplication).
    3) It seems that the name of the files and the location they are stored in are two different variables in the XML. Also the vendors that supply these patches each use their own naming conventions which are not standard. They seem to like to populate the main folders rather than introduce a new subfolder type. This will lead to one enormous folder full of more or less everything and be almost impossible to find anything quickly. Ultimately, there will be collisions (i have already encountered one from the same vendor). Also moving a bunch of “whatever” from the main folder to a newly created subfolder will create a corresponding number of “non-existent-reference” errors in all of the other “whatever”s that point to them.

These reasons seem to point to a “get it right before you start” approach and so I am looking for suggestions on how to minimize the consequences outlined above. A couple of ideas could work, but may not be inherently practical in the Deluge’s O/S environment. I’m not trying to solve a problem here, but rather to discover what everyone else is doing to get around this?

MusicMaybeMusicMaybe CanadaPosts: 5

I'm not sure that this is right place to post this, but it would be great is there was an alternate startup mode (just like the firmware update mode, except pressing a different button) that would put the Deluge in "storage" mode where all it did was present the SD card to a computer host over the USB interface. Then the only time I would need to access the card physically, is to upgrade it, hopefully a rare instance in the distant future.