Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

FW 4 voice stealing

jensgjensg Berlin, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 297
edited May 2022 in Deluge Help

While I do enjoy the new features on 4, it seems the CPU is under pressure. Just 4 tracks with nothing fancy going on results in audio cut outs and voices being stolen.

Why is that and how can I remedy this?

Also, my feeling is this didn’t happen with FW3 as I had track counts way higher still working.

I included a zip with the project. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: here is a Google drive link to the project

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x-sKCvOxwYdbmBjFwpP5km2t6SgO7_0M/view?usp=drivesdk

Post edited by jensg on

Comments

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

I have an old project where I noticed that too.
    Also, there's no zip included in your post.

@Heptagen said:
    I have an old project where I noticed that too.
    Also, there's no zip included in your post.

I did a new one just to make sure, but the kit for example is from the old firmware. Don’t know if this makes a difference or not.

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

Hi jensg! I checked out the song. The reason for the dropouts is that you've set the PRIORITY to HIGH on the clip featuring the "PAD DARK" synth. This means that the Deluge will avoid dropping any voices for this synth at all costs, preferring instead to drop any other sounds, such as the bass and drum sounds in the song.

Because of that synth's long release time, it looks like up to about 13 voices of re-pitched stereo samples are sounding at the same time, which is indeed a bit of a push for the poor Deluge's CPU - and insisting that it continues rendering every one of those voices beyond the point where it is no longer audible to a human is usually not the best use of its resources. If that clip's priority had not been set to HIGH, the Deluge would instead discreetly drop the voices which had been releasing for the longest time, and usually no one would hear a thing.

Also, the "CS80" synth in the project contains 2 wavetable oscillators, with 5-unison, and 3 notes playing at a time - meaning 30 wavetable oscillators sounding simultaneously. The Deluge can actually handle this quite well, but if you get any further problems, this would be the next CPU-hogging suspect I would look at.

Hi Rohan

thank you for checking this out! alright, so I will not use the high setting and the unison really outdid it probably. I am glad to see there is an explanation for this. I will probably resample right after playing it and mangle it even further. btw resampling opened up the deluge for me.

so good to know what the culprits are, which is seems to me sort of being user error. and again thank you for your ongoing support, the hard work you put in for the firmware and all of this.

truly appreciated.

I still believe the new FW does something different. I have another project, that has 7 Tracks and it happens there too.

there is no analog delay, the decays are mostly short, there is no unison, no analog sawtooth, no kits with unused samples and no multisamples, no super-over-the-top modulation stuff. if i count the voices playing at the same time, its 21.

I uploaded a test project.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LrFT7IxWHcu70EzWv7JXDAJk5SavRCxp/view?usp=sharing

i read somewhere that cookoo had a similiar problem with older projects not playing well anymore. I just want to be sure and bc there is no cpu meter, its quite a guessing game.

thank you again.

As I posted before, I noticed now 3 different users reporting a significant performance drop with the new firmware as far as max polyphony is concerned.

Is this this something more users experience and if so, what’s the problem here?

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

Hey @jensg, I just gave your SONG022O song a spin. Listening to it and briefly muting and unmuting clips, I don't think I'm hearing any obvious voice dropping. Which sound are you hearing cutting out? I can probe it a little further if you let me know.

Cuckoo had this problem during beta testing, before I overhauled a lot of code to correct an inefficiency which had been introduced with some of the new V4 features. This restored V4 performance to approximately the level of V3 in every scenario I tested it on.

It's possible that there could be bugs remaining in V4 which cause performance issues in some situations. What I really need is for someone to send me a song which I can load up in the V3.1.5 firmware and then the V4.0.0 firmware and see a difference in how it performs. As yet, only one user I think has sent me such a song since we released V4.0.0 - we both ended up having difficulty replicating the issue though so it's parked for now.

If anyone else is able to send me such an example, I will get stuck right in! :)

Alright, I will test this and make a video. I think this is the best way. I dont want to chase ghosts so getting to the bottom of this once and for all makes a happier life (and you can focus on other, more exiting stuff).

getting back to you when i have the video.

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

@jensg the best guess so far coming from the hivemind of the discord community was that 4.0 voicedropping has something to do with the RAM "overflowing". I too experienced this phenomenon after I loaded up multiple projects after each other and playing them for a brief moment before moving on to the next.
    Not saying that this is it, but just suggesting that context might be relevant.

this has been my experience also. when freshly booted, everything works as expected. this changes when I use it for a longer period of time (2-3 hours maybe). then cutouts, buzzes and the like start.

Alright, I gave this a proper test and pitted a song in 3.15 and 4.01 against each other. in the 3.15 I filled the song up until it gave me dropouts (10 tracks with 4 audio tracks and then a multisample synth with 7 samples). this was as expected. then i loaded it into 4.01. it gave the same result.

testing songs made in 4.0 and trying to play them on 3.15 is impossible due to the "firm" warning when loading newer projects in older FW, which is also as expected.

so, I cant really tell any difference at this point. nonetheless I need to investigate the CPU limits, because I seem to hit them very often with sometimes only 3-4 tracks.

so I guess the latest FW update caught the last remaining bugs :-) thats good news and now its me off to the races again.

thank you rohan.

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

@jensg a thing to look out for is the sample rate of samples. For deluge it should be 44.1kHz.
    Refer to the super-old deluge manual for some more info about cpu:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FAeJ5f1sl3kKJgvbKmGRe3PIMjkaYrh3eAXF05PAV6k/edit#heading=h.uc0meljq3gqx
    under "Processing power and CPU management"

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

I will check if the samples line up with the specs. Maybe I need to resample them to get the perfect format.

Thank you. I know I seem to be the forum tool that never gets it right, but bear with me :-)