Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Wavetable created in Vital out of tune.

annaluiseannaluise Berlin, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 19

Hello,

I have created two wavetables in Vital to emulate a drawbar organ (see attached). I have exported them to .wav files and loaded them into the Deluge. They work fine but are 150 cents flat. Vital exports to 88.2kH but changing the sample rate to 44.1kH using »ocenaudio« didn't change the samples being 150 cents flat.

Do you have an idea why this could be and how it can be fixed?

Love,
Annaluise

Tagged:

Best Answer

esparksesparks AustraliaPosts: 7
    Answer ✓

It might be the Custom 1 knob pitch parameter, it's assigned by default on some sounds (kit sounds usually) and you might have bumped it or something. It's assigned by "learning" the master transpose of a sound, but it's actually a seperate parameter. Check by holding shift and pressing the right-most Transpose button. Set the gold knobs to Stutter/Custom 1 and then hold learn and press in the bottom gold knob. To reset the tuning adjust the gold knob until you find a centre position where the LEDs flash. Hopefully that resolves this for you :)

Answers

The attachment doesn't show up, so here is a link to Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1x0f1jT5tJE2RxyFM5LHk8DxkMHkFwO22?usp=sharing

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

You can alway tune sounds on the Deluge using the OCS1/2 transpose shortcuts and use the horizontal knob to select the cents to the right of the decimal, then adjust with select knob.

But I have a feeling you're not quite in wavetable mode if the samples are playing out of tune. Wavetable mode takes single cycles from the wavetable so they shouldn't appear out of tune.
    Make sure to hold the select knob when selecting the wavetable file and then selecting WAV to load the sample into wavetable mode.

Also keeping files to the native 44.1kH is preferred for CPU usage.

Thank you for your input!
    I had made sure that the wavetables are actually loaded as wavetables. And they work as intended using the gold knobs Custom 2 & 3. Only the pitch is off.
    Transposing is always an option, of course. I just would like to understand the problem and prevent any hickups in live situations.
    And yes, I made sure all my wavetables and samples are in 44.1khz :) I like to take Deluge to the extreme sometimes, so I am careful not to waste CPU on such things :)

Interesting. I just tried loading your attached wav files into the Deluge as wavetables. And they were both in tune. The samples themselves are not. But used as wavetables they seem quite in tune. Can you describe further the steps you’re taking or provide a quick video of your process and results?

After some digging I have found the reason for the detune of my organ patch. It is not the wavetables. They actually seem to work fine.

But: In my organ patch, even if I change the oscillators from wavetable to sine-wave there is a parameter

pitchAdjust="0x1C000000"

which seems to be the cause of the detune. When I set it to zero the detune is gone.
    However, I cannot access this parameter from Deluge's interface and have no clue how it got there in the first place.

Here is a link to two presets and a screencast highlighting the parameter. One preset with the wavetables and another with the wavetables changed to sine-waves:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YBk0EvG6ImC-Jksgeg3mO9civ11gli_0?usp=sharing

Do you have an idea how that parameter got there and how it could be removed using only the Deluge?

Thank you again for your support and have a wonderful weekend!
    Love, Annaluise

Wow that’s very odd! I do see that parameter in a few of my song files. Looks like on a couple of kits. But I’m not sure what parameter it corresponds to or how it’s adjusted.

I do see that your patch sine waves is out of tune. Can’t tell why or how to fix it. Do you know what steps you took to get it to that point? Would you be able to replicate it?

Glad you got the wavetable working correctly at least!

Hope you’re having a good weekend too! :)

@esparks said:
    It might be the Custom 1 knob pitch parameter, it's assigned by default on some sounds (kit sounds usually) and you might have bumped it or something. It's assigned by "learning" the master transpose of a sound, but it's actually a seperate parameter. Check by holding shift and pressing the right-most Transpose button. Set the gold knobs to Stutter/Custom 1 and then hold learn and press in the bottom gold knob. To reset the tuning adjust the gold knob until you find a centre position where the LEDs flash. Hopefully that resolves this for you :)

This is it! Just tried this on the O SINE patch and it fixed it 👍🏼

Wonderful! Thank you for the explanation!